left over oil from oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Tomorrow I am doing the first oil change on my new to me 2013 kia forte. I was curious about what to do with the extra oil(5w-20).

The car holds 4.1 quarts (roughly) per oil change, with a 5.1 quart bottle that means I will have a whole quart left over, and every 4 oil changes, i should have enough for a oil change without buying a whole 5 quart jug. However.. since the car is under warranty, i am keeping the oil and oil filter receipts to prove that i purchased oil for the car.

So to me with the left over oil I could do one of 3 things..

1. Hold onto it, at normal intervals change the oil when i have enough left over, still generate paperwork (and excel file saying i did the oil change with left over oil from the previous changes) and file it with my normal paper work. The issue here.. is will the dealer try to fight me on any future warranty claims?

2. Purchase a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, start dumping extra oil into this, for when the car is out of warranty.. (10 years or 87,000 more miles..) This may be too long for the oil to sit.

3. Jump the Kia up a grade to 5w-30 and use the left over oil, for make up oil in my Saturn, because I know.. the Saturn will burn more than enough oil for the both of my cars.

Finally I guess i could give the left over to my brother for his ford Taurus which burns a little oil, but he uses the same brand and weight of oil as my kia, but wheres the fun in giving away oil??
shocked.gif

Let me know your opinions, thanks!

You need to learn to take a breath and relax. I get the feeling you are getting way to paranoid about record keeping. Just keep copies of the receipts. Log your services either into a canned form or make yourself a spreadsheet. Document the date, mileage, parts, etc. If this ever became an issue with a warranty claim, even a junior attorney that just passed the BAR could prove you did what needed to prove you were doing things right. My God, I don't even get that meticulous about my commercial engines that cost more to replace than your entire car. I just keep accurate maintenance records and all purchases for oil, filters, parts, etc go right in to business spreadsheets and off to the CPA. If you are bound and determined to keep receipts, then just scan them as a PDF into a file for keeping. That is legit for the IRS, it is legit enough for your purposes.

4. Dispose of left over oil with used oil. Then I have an empty 5 qt jug for for the next oil change.

Use the 5th quart for the 0.1 quart for the next 10 oil changes. Or, So the oil doesn't get too old, once in awhile pour enough of a fresh quart into the older oil to make a full quart, use it, then use the remainder of that fresh quart for your future changes (or makeup oil). Your records will show sufficient oil purchases with this 5,4,4,4,4.....,5 quart purchase record.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
You need to learn to take a breath and relax. I get the feeling you are getting way to paranoid about record keeping. Just keep copies of the receipts. Log your services either into a canned form or make yourself a spreadsheet. Document the date, mileage, parts, etc. If this ever became an issue with a warranty claim, even a junior attorney that just passed the BAR could prove you did what needed to prove you were doing things right. My God, I don't even get that meticulous about my commercial engines that cost more to replace than your entire car. I just keep accurate maintenance records and all purchases for oil, filters, parts, etc go right in to business spreadsheets and off to the CPA. If you are bound and determined to keep receipts, then just scan them as a PDF into a file for keeping. That is legit for the IRS, it is legit enough for your purposes.

I agree.

As long as you change the oil according to the owner manual and have receipt for all the oil and filter that you purchase, dealer will not give you a hard time if you have engine engine problems related to oil.

Dealer will check the oil and if it shows on dipstick that isn't too black then they can't give you a hard time.

If your receipts show you bought HDEO 15W40 to use in your car then that's different story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: actionstan

1. Hold onto it, at normal intervals change the oil when i have enough left over.

Hold on to it, then just dump whatever is left over in at your next oil change. This way there's no messing about with transferring from one bottle to another or anything. Of course you end up with a little more left over at each consecutive change, until eventually you have enough for a complete change.

For future oil changes buy four individual quart bottles instead of one big 5/5.1 quart jug...won't have to worry about handling leftover quart left in big jug.

1. Easiest and simplest solution. You ALREADY satified the warranty by buying oil, you just happened to get ahead. No warranty will mandate you have to buy "on the spot" just a day or two ahead. Your filter reciept will also help to document the time of the OC. No worries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back