chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
[
How easy is the chain cleaning process with this paste on?

Paste can be wiped off clean with a little gas in a rag...

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
[
How easy is the chain cleaning process with this paste on?

Paste can be wiped off clean with a little gas in a rag...

Or WD-40, the only reason I keep WD-40 on hand is for cleaning, and cylinder honing. It is great for cleaning up greasy tools and wiping greasy finger prints off your tool box, along with cleaning chains and swingarms.

I like that Motul setup, I never considered using white grease,. I always thought the factory applied grease was just for rust prevention.

WD-40 is also great for the purpose it was designed for---water displacing, 40th attempt to get it right.

I mainly use WD-40 on pruning shears so the pine tree sap doesn't make a gummy mess. I do not use it as a lube--it's a really weak lube.

I may use WD40 on locks but never on my chain... its chiefly a light weight oil which is
diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give it a very low viscosity in order to be sprayed...
WD40 is as dated as a 58 Chevy because thats the year it hit the stores...

I only use it as a cleaning agent. It is easier on your hands and more conveinent than gas on a rag. It is no more outdated than gas, either one will break down grease for cleaning.

I bought a gallon on gl-1 90w gear oil from napa awhile ago to use in my jerry rigged auto oiler but i ditched that and now apply moly paste sometimes and oil it with the gear oil. I hope that moly will prevent metal to metal contact when the oil is gone. it has an open roller chain

So you bought a BMW F650CS? Congrats!

Originally Posted By: Anduril
I moved up to a bike with a belt, and convinced the wifey to do the same. Never again will I mess around with that dirty grimy stuff. Plus with the amount we ride, we'd end up cleaning/lubing about once a week. Pain in the you-know-what.

I used to use Liquid Wrench to lube, and WD-40 to clean.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

WD40 is as dated as a 58 Chevy

You say it like it's a bad thing. My mom had a 58 Impala and I thought it was pretty boss.

I've been using Genie universal garage door lube for many years. Lowes sells it..its in a white and blue spray can with a funny looking trigger. (older cans were white and black IIRC)

Now before you all laugh at me it is a motorcycle chain lube packaged up for genie. It's made by Alisyn..... aerospace lubricants. I e-mailed them and they told me its the same stuff. I think Krause racing chains sells it also.

It does fling a little but cleans up easy and my chains have never lasted so long. Lube the chain AFTER a ride and wipe the extra off in the morning. Dirt does not stick to this stuff.

As we all know there is no perfect chain lube...at least I havent found one in my 38 years of riding...if you do let us all know!!

http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/img/quadra_01.jpg

Here's an image of EK chain showing the roller which needs lube. The pin and bushing have lube sealed in by the o-ring.

quadra_01.jpg

Whatever chain lube you use has to get under that roller.

The Schaeffer #227 really is excellent stuff.

I try and keep it pretty simple, kerosene for cleaning, and white lithium grease in an aerosol can for lubing the chain. I have two buddies that use the PJ1 Blue and the Maxima chain wax, but their chains are extremely dry to the touch and seem to attract a lot of dirt/grime.
Bonus to the white lithium is you can easily see how it's degrading over time since it sprays/dries white, high heat/pressure and moisture resistant, and little to no cleanup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back