Michelin Dry Rot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I think it's because Michelin tires last so long.

For example, the MXV4 tires have almost infinite tread life. After 10 years, of course the tires will have cracks, but they'll still have half of the tread remaining. Many people with these tires will just keep running them "oh you know there's still plenty of tread remaining so it's all good"

^This is true. I had Toyos top of line tires on my Maxima. They were were purchased from a wrecking yard and already a few years old. They were weather-checked and had ply separation before they were at 50% tread life. Well maintained, long wearing tires will eventually come apart and die of old age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Michelin's dry rot problems?

Did they clear the issue up?

Anyone experience it?

Thinking about getting a set of Michelins soon...

Not yet.
Yes.
I'm sorry.

I had a set of Pilots for over 9 years on my Contour. No cracking but they became hard and grip suffered. I replaced them with Pilot Exalto A/S's. So far so good after 4+ years.

Whimsey

Michelin Harmony's on our Windstar. 5.5 years old; 70,800 miles

tire1.jpg

I don't like it. Really only want to keep this van another six months though.

Only two are left on the van (replaced two when we had a sidewall gash).. One was made August 13th-19th 2007 and the other October 1st-7th, same year. Had them installed in February of '08.

Not a garage queen by any means!

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
happens in the deep south US at 4+ yrs old.

Nope. Not true. I live in Clearwater FL and I have had multiple sets for longer than 4 years each. I put about 70k I think on the last set so that's about 5.5 years for me. No issues. Best tires I have ever had. On at least my 3rd set. Always lived here too.

Oh yeah - and my truck is never in a garage. It won't fit. Parked outside at home and work all day every day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This is very interesting. I've posted before about the cracking I've experienced with previous Michelin car tires before (more on that in a second). The cracking has always been circumferentially down near the bead area, and indeed, it appears to be superficial in nature. Is this the lower sidewall cracking to which you refer?....

Yes

This makes me curious as to what type of compromise is made when coming up with a rubber compound formula that performs for the mileage claimed and the rubber's resistance to UV exposure (which I assume is the majority of cracking seen in addition to heat and any correlation between UV and heat [correction and edit, I understand that there are many factors to cracking but I would say that with a tire being black it's going to be absorbing UV all day]). Is UV resistance a huge factor when coming up with a formulation? (My thinking here [and it may be off] is that one cannot have a tire that does it all; have high mileage, high UV resistance, high heat resistance, and ultimate grip, etc.) i.e. a tire with high mileage with be less UV resistant and a tire with greater UV resistance will (inherently) have less mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisW
This makes me curious as to what type of compromise is made when coming up with a rubber compound formula that performs for the mileage claimed and the rubber's resistance to UV exposure (which I assume is the majority of cracking seen in addition to heat and any correlation between UV and heat [correction and edit, I understand that there are many factors to cracking but I would say that with a tire being black it's going to be absorbing UV all day]). Is UV resistance a huge factor when coming up with a formulation? (My thinking here [and it may be off] is that one cannot have a tire that does it all; have high mileage, high UV resistance, high heat resistance, and ultimate grip, etc.) i.e. a tire with high mileage with be less UV resistant and a tire with greater UV resistance will (inherently) have less mileage.

I'm going to generalize this into "age cracking resistance" to cover everything that causes these cracks - not just UV rays.

It is anti-oxidants (AO's) and waxes that are employed to slow these processes down. Yes, you can't stop them. These materials are disbursed throughout the rubber matrix and work independently of the other things that make changes in rubber properties that affect wear, grip, and rolling resistance.

The problem here is that AO's are very expensive and it isn't cost effective to add more. (Put another way, a tire manufacturer doesn't reduce the amount of returns for cracking to cover its cost of more AO's). So many tire manufacturers just put in minimal amounts. But others see this as an image issue and use more (and absorb the cost).

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I've had Michelin Pilots as OE on many Hondas/Acuras and while I haven't kept one longer than 3 years, nothing ever showed up in that time and the tires always performed admirably. I probably wouldn't replace with like-kind due to price but I'm happy if the car comes with them.
The only brand of tire I no longer trust and would never buy is Continental.

One time I bought new Michelin Tires at Costcos and I went there later to my tires rotated the I knew the salesmen was going to say the tires were dry rotted and he did. He tried to sell me new tires so I asked him what tires did he suggest? As he was telling me I took out the receipt for the tires with the warrenty.. LOL! They had to prorate them and give me new tires nearly for FREE.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back