Expedition Triton 5.4L - Blown Spark Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I blew a spark plug out of my 98 5.4L Expedition last night. (also got pistol whipped and robbed at gunpoint while trying to fix it in Autozone parking lot).
I have managed to tap a new thread with a HeliCoil Tap, but can't figure out how to get the heilicoil in place, set to the right depth and break the tab off before trying to insert the plug. The hole is a deep hole and I cannot see into it to set the helicoil...not even sure if the tool to set it is deep enough.
Is there such a thing as an oversized spark plug that I can use in the new threaded hole to avoid using the helicoil? If not, any recommendations for the best fix at this stage without taking out the head?
It is the 2nd plug from the front on the passenger side.

Do a search for "Dorman 42025 HELP!". I believe Amazon sells this and the last time I looked, there was a post on YouTube about this fix. I'm a little leary about using non-standard parts for this repair.
I've never used the Dorman fix, but instead use Time Sert.

Only thing I can think of is use the spark plug to install the helicoil, then drive it somewhere to get it fixed.

I've done this fix quite a few times.
Red loctite on the insert. Use an old spark plug to screw it in. Count the threads on the insert and then count the rotations. Leave it for an hour then remove the old plug.
I've done this so many times I can do it by feel now.

yep...2 guys got me while I was coming out from under the hood, smashed me with their gun across my head. Swollen head and broken truck...at least I'm alive, cause they had the gun right at my head the whole time.

I tried inserting the helicoil using the plug (after breaking off the helicoil tab, but the helicoil just rode up the shaft of the spark plug. I guess it may have worked if I kept the tab on, but then how would I break off the tab and remove it from the cylinder? I am looking for a decent fix, so seems like maybe timesert is the way to go?
Can I use the standard timesert after already cutting threads for helicoil, or do I need to do an ovesized timesert?
Any success stories or dramatic failure stories with the helicoil, since I have already started that process?
I just don't want to get into a non-reversible situation. I would rather spend the extra cash up front to do the job right than get into a deeper mess.

Try to find a spark plug with the short threads, some of them are threaded all the way to the seat some aren't. Unless they do them all that way now.

I use the Calvan insert kit, as far as I know every one I have repaired is still holding. The kit is between $250-$300. You need to use an air ratchet to drill out the hole with that kit.

Here is a example of the plug I am talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SP-479-...Type=automotive

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I tried inserting the helicoil using the plug (after breaking off the helicoil tab, but the helicoil just rode up the shaft of the spark plug. I guess it may have worked if I kept the tab on, but then how would I break off the tab and remove it from the cylinder? I am looking for a decent fix, so seems like maybe timesert is the way to go?
Can I use the standard timesert after already cutting threads for helicoil, or do I need to do an ovesized timesert?
Any success stories or dramatic failure stories with the helicoil, since I have already started that process?
I just don't want to get into a non-reversible situation. I would rather spend the extra cash up front to do the job right than get into a deeper mess.

Like AVB mentioned, use a plug with a short reach to seat the Helicoil, preferably a 3/8" reach like for a lawn mower or 283/327 Chevy. Use red Loctite, but be careful, most Helicoils have gaps between the threads were the Loctite can leak through and stick the spark plug to the Helicoil. Maybe a light coat of grease on the threads of the plug and not leave it in more than a few minutes? If you have already tapped it for a Helicoil, I don't think a Timezert can be used, unless they share the exact same external threads. The Dorman plug mentioned above is for the 5.4 3V, since yours is a '98, I believe it is a 5.4 2V.

The plug I linked to is actually a Motorcraft plug that says it is for his application. A sbc or lawnmower plug might have the wrong threads.

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
yep...2 guys got me while I was coming out from under the hood, smashed me with their gun across my head. Swollen head and broken truck...at least I'm alive, cause they had the gun right at my head the whole time.

Man that's some crazy shyte right there! What part of florida are you in? I used to live in NorthEast Broward county and its amazing how the Autozones were ALWAYS located in bad ghetto neighborhoods! My buddy's girlfriend got mugged in broad daylight at the autozone near their house in Pompano Beach!

Did you make a police report? You seem awfully casual about the whole thing; I'd be freaking the heck out!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The only approved repair for this is this one:

http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

Which is what I had done on my #4 hole when it popped.

I didn't try and fix mine, I just drove it on 7 cylinders up to the dealer, who has a mobile machine shop that uses the above insert kit to do the repair come in.

Did you disable the fuel injector so you don't overload the cat with raw fuel and shorten it's life or kill it? I had a coil fail about 6 miles from my mechanic's shop. Could not tell easily which one. No code set yet and I didn't have my code reader to check for pending codes. So for those 6 miles I pumped raw gas into the cat. Hopefully it didn't hurt it.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The only approved repair for this is this one:

http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

Which is what I had done on my #4 hole when it popped.

I didn't try and fix mine, I just drove it on 7 cylinders up to the dealer, who has a mobile machine shop that uses the above insert kit to do the repair come in.

Did you disable the fuel injector so you don't overload the cat with raw fuel and shorten it's life or kill it? I had a coil fail about 6 miles from my mechanic's shop. Could not tell easily which one. No code set yet and I didn't have my code reader to check for pending codes. So for those 6 miles I pumped raw gas into the cat. Hopefully it didn't hurt it.

Whimsey

Nope, IIRC the ECM is smart enough to know that there's no spark happening in that cylinder (no coil plugged in) so it should automatically disable the fuel to it.

I did disconnect the fuel injector. I looked at the thread repair kits as mentioned and they look great. I have found a mechanic that used to work at a Ford dealership and has a good reputation, and am told he can doa repair for less than 200.00 including a new coil pack. I drove it on 7 cylinders and will report the outcome when fixed...crossing fingers that I didn't make a bigger mess than what I started with.

This Lock N Stitch kit looks very well engineered. Looks challenging to do without removing the head. Have you done this in the vehicle before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back