Looks like end of the lawn mower :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all sounds like it's easier to just remove the engine, take it apart, clean it, hone the cylinder, replace the rings, the top and bottom main seals, the head seal and put it together again. Can't take more time or money than running back and forth to find out if a chonda copy will fit.
Or, buy a new mower if you feel that the deck and engine has done it ca. 1000 hrs of hard work for you.

I have borrowed the 3-jaw puller from Autozone will try to take off the flywheel. Hopefully, I won't lose the woodroff key while doing that!

FAIL, the 3-jaw puller was not able to grab it. I tried all combinations of the jaws but no luck.

This is a 7" flywheel, 1.5" thickness, 1" long shaft protruding out. I need a bigger puller or better I should just give up on this engine (or the mower).

Any pointers before I return the puller? I thought I was doing it correctly but as I started turning the puller, the jaw started going in the "wrong" direction. The flywheel was too thick.

Well if your going to give up and don't have a puller to fit, might as well get a couple pry bars (large screwdrivers), 180 across the flywheel, get a little pressure up on under the flywheel, have a helper to tap on the end of the shaft (be careful not to damage it - soft hammer, wood block on it and whack whack whack while maintaining pressure from the screwdrivers forcing the flywheel up & off. If your giving up of course.
If its all nasty up at the top, perhaps a little time with PB Blaster, maybe a little warming with a torch, maybe a little more aggressive whack treatment, whack whack whack. It's got to come off. Or find a fitting puller.

http://www.snapper.com/us/en/push-mower/se-series

I'm surprised no one suggested a new mower of a different make. I got the Snapper SE FWD model w/high rear wheels, and it was 300 bucks with the tax. Simple design, light weight enough to get around easily, and a variable speed belt drive that's very simple (squeeze the handle similar to a hand brake lever on a bicycle; the harder u squeeze, the faster it goes). Don't get FWD if you go up steep hills, as you have to lift up on the handle a lil to get good traction, but it will still work. I actually like front drive better as it is simple, light and easier to turn the mower around than RWD. The SE has a 7.25 HP Briggs & Stratton that will cut through anything w/o trying to stall. Years of trouble free mowing. But it's always fun to tear something apart like that old mower. It may make a good spare. I still have my old 24 year old Lawn-Boy 2 stroke push mower as a spare. Lucky for me no engine repairs except for 2 ign coils. I had to get a self propelled mower because of a bad knee making it hard to walk/push something at the same time.

Last edited:
Generally if you're used to a RWD mower(as I am), the last thing you want is a front driver...

I'll keep using my 1983 RWD Snapper till I have to tie it to a tree and watch it run it'self in circles...

I have a homemade puller that I use. I made it out of 1/8 x 1 steel strip and a piece of 7/16 (I think) all thread. The steel strip is bent to reach under the flywheel in typical puller style. I ground the all thread to a mild point to fit into the end of the crankshaft. I'll set it in place on the flywheel and use large clamp (actually a woodworking bar clamp) to keep the "fingers" of the puller from popping off the flywheel. Watching that the puller doesn't exert pressure on the fins (Tecumseh motors). Crank up some pressure on the all thread. Then a couple of sharpish taps on the end of the all thread generally pops off the flywheel.

Oh, be aware there may be magnets under the flywheel (if it's like my Tecumseh) that you want to avoid putting any pressure on, i.e. don't go too deep.

Last edited:
Yeah, it just doesn't look right for pulling a flywheel. My home made job has sort of this shape:

... _
.. /.\
../...\
./.....\
|.......|
|_...._|

(Ignore the dots, they're just placeholders)

Last edited:
My Snapper Hi - Vac 6.75 HP B&S Intek will be replaced with a new Snapper Hi - Vac when the time comes .

And here when I read the title of the thread, I was thinking someone invented grass that cuts itself.
laugh.gif

Tried the puller again couple of days ago using few rubber bands to hold it all together; unfortunately it still did not grab on it.

I might get my b-i-l's unused mower next week if I can get it started there and carry it all the way from VA to MA.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Insufficient toolage.

Get a bigger puller.

BFH, it'll pop off or bust... If you try this hit it opposite of the magnets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back