Damaged license plate bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story made short, the dealer used the wrong screws to secure the license plate to the front bracket and won't own up to it. Therefore, the holes that they created in the bracket are too wide and the correct hardware now doesn't work.

Factory self-tapping screw: 1/2" L x 1/8" D
Dealer's [censored] screw: 3/4" L x 1/4" D

Is there a way to "plug" the existing hole and then let the correct screws re-tap it? New bracket is $50 and comes unpainted. Otherwise I need to find very short but fat self-tapping screws, which may not even exist. I suppose I could always use a bolt and nut on the back, but that's going to look pretty stupid. I would prefer they be stainless so they don't rust in a month.

Top picture is the enlarged/damaged hole. Bottom picture is what it should look like. Black screw is the OEM hardware, silver is the idiot dealer's choice.

IMG_7298_zpsca0c9d33.jpg

IMG_7299_zps2eb40373.jpg

IMG_7289_zps0c27ef0d.jpg

Dparm

Mot sure if you are interested but an Ebay seller has the traditional license plate screws in Stainless Steel

I have a raw set on a couple of cars and also sprayed a set with VHT flat black trim paint. Holding up very well

SS Screws

I tried to source these in small quantities but wasn't able to find them

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr
Dparm

Mot sure if you are interested but an Ebay seller has the traditional license plate screws in Stainless Steel

I have a raw set on a couple of cars and also sprayed a set with VHT flat black trim paint. Holding up very well

SS Screws

Did you read my post? The stuff you linked me to is the EXACT same screw that I am trying to replace.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Fill it with JB Weld and redrill the hole?

Will JB Weld adhere to plastic? And would the screws be removable later?

Its a $50 item. Id either escalate it with the dealer or just buy another from a different dealer.

While I can appreciate the fun of a project, if I wasnt going to reconcile the issue correctly, Id just look for another screw in the same size that looks how you want it to look and go with that.

Actually if this is for a front plate, Id just mount the plate to it, and toss it in the trunk. If you get pulled over, say you just had your front bumper sprayed and hadnt gotten around to re-installing the plate. I dont run with a front plate on my 135.

If I had to make it right with this one, Id get some real two-part epoxy (I use DEVCON on sensitive stuff in the lab) that you can work with, but a very slow cure, like 60 minutes. Mix it well and scoop into a syringe without the needle. affix tape or saran wrap to one side of the holder, and slowly inject epoxy into the hole, ensuring that no air bubbles were present. Smooth off on the exposed side and then let cure for 3-5x longer than the package states.

Then go to a drill press and sequentially drill it until a hole size roughly the same as the non-threaded portion of the screw's shaft. Then install screw.

Extra points if you can rough up the inside of the hole, either scratching, maybe a slim sandy dremel bit manually inserted, etc.

Still [censored] me off, and [censored] those [censored] in the "prep" department who installed it despite my request not to. Already escalated it, dealer told me to pound sand. "Oh well you have to run front plates and that's why we installed it."

So I now have FOUR holes in the bumper instead of two. Two could be plugged, but the other two are too small to be plugged, but are big enough to be visible.

May as well just run the plate at this point, or cough up the cash to get them filled and resprayed.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Still [censored] me off, and [censored] those [censored] in the "prep" department who installed it despite my request not to. Already escalated it, dealer told me to pound sand. "Oh well you have to run front plates and that's why we installed it."

So I now have FOUR holes in the bumper instead of two. Two could be plugged, but the other two are too small to be plugged, but are big enough to be visible.

May as well just run the plate at this point, or cough up the cash to get them filled and resprayed.

Horrible. Did you have the request in writing? If so, Id take them to SCC and get them to replace the bumper or pay for full damage repair at a dealer of your choice. If you have a specific request in writing, that's powerful. Id be annoyed as well for sure... Who did you talk to at the dealer?

Nope, I told the sales person verbally. Service/prep manager was the one I spoke to. I actually complained when I noticed it later on, got nowhere, complained to corporate, then got the service manager to call me so he could see for himself.

They also did a [censored] job with cleaning it before delivery, which I did complain about and got a voucher for a free detail job (yeah right, like I trust them to clean it again). Sales people are fine, it's just the prep/delivery team that suck. I'm done wasting energy on it and will just mount the plate and move on with my life. :)

BMW dealers can be great, or they can be a nightmare in my experience. I'd like to visit one of the good ones some day.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Actually if this is for a front plate, Id just mount the plate to it, and toss it in the trunk. If you get pulled over, say you just had your front bumper sprayed and hadnt gotten around to re-installing the plate. I dont run with a front plate on my 135.

Off topic:
In NJ you aren't required to have a front plate if you order specialty plates.

I signed up for IM plates myself and was disappointed to find they only sent me one (no second plate for when the first one gets dirty) and the number looked like a personalized plate advertising a weird sexual fetish.... but these things happen.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Off topic:
In NJ you aren't required to have a front plate if you order specialty plates.

I signed up for IM plates myself and was disappointed to find they only sent me one (no second plate for when the first one gets dirty) and the number looked like a personalized plate advertising a weird sexual fetish.... but these things happen.

They definitely send two when geting specialized plates. Not sure what happened/changed here.

Can you show a picture of how this goes together? Front, back, screw locations - bracket to bumper/plate to bracket, etc..

I don't understand the system, but I am good at coming up with fastener solutions.

If the plastic is a semi flexible, "soft" kind, it may have adhesion problems, even for epoxy. The damaged hole looks like it is split also.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: cmorr
Dparm

SS Screws

Did you read my post? The stuff you linked me to is the EXACT same screw that I am trying to replace.

I did read your post, the link I provided is for a stainless steel version.

Based on your tone I will refrain from posting to your threads in the future

I clearly stated I needed a different size because the dealer opted to use something way too big (causing damage), and that I would prefer stainless.

OMG!!! Save yourself the headache... Go to the hardware store, buy large stainless steel screws, install, and be done with it! Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, Ace, all should carry stainless screws this size. $4 retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back