Cartridge oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
The cartridge filter was a total pain, in the old configuration, and it will only be worse
with the new low-space vehicles.

What the manufacturers need to do put the filter (remotely if necessary) in an accessible place
so it's much easier to replce, and IN AN ORIENTATION such that the filter doesn't drip or spill oil onto the ground, the vehicle, or the "ARM OF THE CHANGER!"

Molakule speaketh:

What the manufacturers need to do put the filter (remotely if necessary) in an accessible place
so it's much easier to replce, and IN AN ORIENTATION such that the filter doesn't drip or spill oil onto the ground, the vehicle, or the "ARM OF THE CHANGER!"

Amen!

The best car I ever owned as far as oil filter location was my 88 Dodge Shadow Turbo. The filter was out front and in the open and you could get it off easily without spilling much oil. I used
to change the oil in that car every three weeks!
smile.gif

On the 95-99 Neons, the filter is just behind & beside the oil drain plug, a few inches away, & hangs vertically. If you can get to one, you can get to the other.
grin.gif

BTW: the self-contained, disposable oil filters we use nos are just fine with me. I remember changing oil on old cars & trucks more than 20 years ago that had the canister filter w/replaceable element. If you like the idea, have fun, but there's *NO WAY* I'll ever pay $$ for that hassle again.

[ August 13, 2002, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Quote from a Filter Manufacturers Council tech bulletin

"The cartridge style filter is back and will be the oil filter configuration of the future."

Here's the link
Cartridge oil filters

I've used them before and liked them. I sure made it easy to see how much crud was on the media.

The best thing about the old cartridge filters is you could take the cartridge out and throw it away. Then install a submicronic bypass filter to clean the oil. Or you could install a submicronic bypass oil filter and change the cartridge filter every couple of years. The submicronic bypass filter would keep it clean.

Ralph

My 01 VW Jetta has a cartridge filter and it is awesome. My first thoughts were that it was a piece of s**t. After doing an oil change I realized how easy this made it.

The filter is mounted vertically on the front of the engine that is very easily accessed. The filter can be removed and a new one replaced without spilling a single drop of oil. You can even fill the canister with oil before replacing the cap.

grin.gif
I have even started to suck the oil out through the dipstick with an oil extractor. I can complete the entire oil change from the top of the car without spilling a drop of oil. Now I just wish I could use it on my Ford.

While shopping for our next sedan I saw that Saturn L200 models now have cartridge style filters. Looks like a much easier way to change the oil filter than our current Saturn SL-1 model. However, I did notice that neither WIX or Purolator manufactured a replacement.

I guess as more cars hit the street with these filters the after market for these filters will start.

quote:

New Generation Cartridge Style Oil Filters
Back to Technical Service Bulletins

Prior to the mid 1950's virtually all engine oil filters were of the cartridge style. Changing the oil filter was a very messy job that could result in a good deal of oil leakage both in and around the area of the housing and on the mechanic or technician. The cartridge housing had to be thoroughly cleaned, which in some cases required removal of the housing. On many applications there were various internal housing components that also had to be cleaned and properly positioned when installing the new cartridge. Due to variations in housing designs, the installation of the filter and proper placement of the housing sealing gasket also required various installation techniques.

The introduction of the spin-on filter in the mid 50's solved many of the cartridge filter installation problems. It made the changing of the oil and filter more user friendly and allowed many vehicle owners to assume the responsibility of changing their own oil and filters. However, changing a spin-on oil filter today may still result in oil leakage to the surrounding area and onto the servicing technician.

Space has become a premium in the engine compartment of today's vehicles. As a result the oil filter can be very difficult to locate and change. In the late 1980's European original equipment manufacturers began reverting back to the cartridge style oil filter. We see this same trend beginning to appear in our North American produced vehicles.

This change from a spin-on filter to the new cartridge filter offers several advantages. The first and most obvious is filter disposal. The disposal cost of a cartridge filter is far less than that of a spin-on filter. This is also an attempt by the individual OE manufacturers to establish standardized oil filter cartridge sizes, thereby eliminating the number of different part numbers required to service a particular brand of vehicle. The new cartridge filter housing will also be located on the top or side of the engine compartment making them accessible from above without the need to raise the vehicle.

Today's cartridge style filter housings are designed with a screw on type cap and a single housing sealing gasket. The housings are also self draining enabling the filter housing to be drained back into the engine prior to the filter change-out. After the housing is drained the housing top is then unscrewed and the used filter cartridge and housing sealing gasket removed without any unnecessary oil leakage. The new filter is then installed in the housing or fitted to the housing cap. The new sealing gasket is installed and the housing cap tightened per installation instructions. The used engine oil is then drained from the crankcase. New oil is added and the engine started to check for proper oil pressure or any possible oil leakage. The service is now complete.

There is also a variation to the complete cartridge replacement. The same style of housing is used but instead of replacing the complete cartridge only the used pleated paper media pack and sealing gasket are replaced. The media pack end caps as we know them today would be reusable and only the paper pack itself would be replaced.

The cartridge style filter is back and will be the oil filter configuration of the future.

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/00-2.html

I love my catridge filter on my '96 VW VR6. Mine also has a small drain plug in the filter that makes changing the filter completely mess-free. The filter element is HUGE compared to the typical oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back