Might ditch the Volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the car, but things are starting to go bad on it. Replaced a lower control arm because a bushing was bad, everything else felt great and on the drive to work yesterday the ball joint went south. It didnt fail, but the car was all over the road. True parts are cheap, I actually have replacements, but I am just over the car. It rolled over 127K and about to turn 10 years old. Which on a Toyota or Honda is barely broken in, but on a limited production high performance sedan, can be a very bad thing. There were a bunch of electrical quirky things going on that I really don't want to have to deal with.

All of that being said, I am going to do some test drives today. Trade in on the R is only about 5 grand now, hence not wanting to do much to it. Really leaning towards a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack we have at work. It has about 95% of the options I would have picked if I were ordering one. I know a new car purchase is probably the worst investment known to man, but I just want something new, and fun, and with a warranty.

Sure new cars are poor investments, but smoking, overindulging in the wrong food, alcohol, women, and drugs are terrible too.....I think this is a healthier alternative......enjoy life.

My other reasoning, I turn 30 next month. This will be my last chance to do something fun and stupid and blame it on being in my 20s.

Coworker recently bought a Scion FRS Sports Coupe (Toyota) & it is a lot of car for the money, not to mention it is a Toyota.

I liked the fact that Toyota has a fixed pricing policy on all Scions, so you pay exactly what is listed on the Monroney label, no mark-ups, no haggle.

If you don't like the attitude or service received from one particular dealer, the next dealer will sell the car at same exact price.

Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
Coworker recently bought a Scion FRS Sports Coupe (Toyota) & it is a lot of car for the money, not to mention it is a Toyota.

I liked the fact that Toyota has a fixed pricing policy on all Scions, so you pay exactly what is listed on the Monroney label, no mark-ups, no haggle.

If you don't like the attitude or service received from one particular dealer, the next dealer will sell the car at same exact price.

Yeah, if I bought a Toyota I would be job hunting the next day. Plus I got enough grief from my car friends when I bought a 300hp Volvo, if I bought a Toyota I would be shunned.

Seems you've analyzed the situation quite well and it's not a rash decision. But if you're hesitating to buy a new car because it's a 'poor investment' you'll never buy new.

Life's short, if the Stang is within your budget and makes you happy go for it. I'm certain it will be well cared for and serve you well.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Yeah, if I bought a Toyota I would be job hunting the next day. Plus I got enough grief from my car friends when I bought a 300hp Volvo, if I bought a Toyota I would be shunned.

Get what you want.

If the above is true you need new friends and employment IMO...

"High" performance cars tend to live short lives.If its not a case of nickle and diming the owner,its getting crashed and totalled in a high speed crash,or total failures of major parts (engine/transmission).The smart buys are always the more pedestrian models...less trouble...less maintenance....cheaper insurance...longer lives.Of course for some people,thats not exciting or "cutting edge" enough (and thats understandable).My common sense side would always choose a Fusion or Focus over a Mustang,or a Dart/Avenger in place of a Viper.

It really is about how much money you have and where you want to spend it. I see many people in trailers or apartments with much newer and nicer vehicles than I have. And I would guess I probably earn significantly more than they do. But I have 2 vehicles for myself, a house and 26 acres for privacy and my dogs to roam.

The best vehicle for the money is to buy a 2-3 year old Camry and drive it into the ground.

When I was young (21) I loved to drive my 1969 Mach 1 Mustang.

The new Mustang is coming out in 2015. Why not wait for it?

It's going to be a real top notch sports car, lighter, sharper in handling, and more precise as well. If you can keep the Volvo rolling for another year buy the new model.

I got to ride in and drive a 2013 Mustang GT a few weeks ago, and I have to say, that thing was a beast. Fast, precise steering, comfortable. Made some of the LSx based F-bodies I've driven feel like a 1970 Buick.

I know a new car purchase is probably the worst investment known to man, but I just want something new, and fun, and with a warranty.
you work there, they BETTER do you right on the pricing. Of the trade and the Stang.

Doesn't working at a dealer give you the opportunity to cherry pick "trade-ins" before they get resold ?

If that's the case, you have the golden opportunity to buy a nice trade-in where trade in value has already reflected the "depreciation".

That's what I would do if I work at a car dealership.

Last edited:
IMHO I'd try to get another year out of the Volvo which shouldn't be to hard and buy a 2015 Mustang when they come out.

I'm getting to the same point with my work truck. I'm going to run it another year until the 2015's come out, than snag a leftover 2014.

Buy what you like- who cares what anybody thinks? If the 'stang gets your juices flowing, then there's your answer. If I faced a future of buying Fusions over Mustangs or Darts over Vipers, I'd just cut to the chase and jump off a very high bridge...

I was drooling over the Mustang track car they had at the dealership when I was Fusion shopping. Unfortunately, it's not a toddler friendly type of car! And, I'm all about gas mileage today, yesterday that Mustang (or probably one of less features) might've been in my garage!

I'd seriously consider the Fusion+Hybrid, although I know you probably know the dark & dirty secrets to every Ford and know what to potentially avoid, I have to say I love my 2012 Fusion SE with the 4cyl. Love the gas mileage on it, love the handling, the ride & the care as a whole. I feel I made a solid choice and will have to probably buried in the car!

I do wish I had the SEL model however, but I'm good with the SE.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I know a new car purchase is probably the worst investment known to man, but I just want something new, and fun, and with a warranty.
you work there, they BETTER do you right on the pricing. Of the trade and the Stang.

Oh, like most $tealerships they try to "do" everyone and especially their own employees.

45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back