MANN oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on the MANN oil filters? I've never used them, much less heard of them until I purchased an Audi.

I'm currently using a Wix filter, but I've read here that OEM filters will often reduce engine noise and currently the 1.8T in my Audi is kinda loud....my teenage son even noticed and commented on it. It may just be the nature of the beast, I don't know.

Anyhow, the car is a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T; The next OC will consist of PP Euro and possibly a MANN filter (depending on feedback)with 5000 mi OCI's as spec'd by the owners manual.

One more thing....the Filter No. is W94025, can someone tell me what the next larger size would be that would work on this car? I'd like to oversize the oil filter due to the limited crankcase capacity.

Last edited:
There are plenty of threads here on the German Mann (and Mahle and Bosch and Hengst) oil filters. They are very good and often cheaper (if you find the right source) than the more conventional filter brands we come across in North America. The specified Mann filter will give you no problems over the 5000 mile factory OCI.

Mann makes excellent filters - I used them on my 1995 Volvo 850, our 2000 VW Beetle TDI & 2006 VW Golf TDI. Never had a filter-related issue of any kind.

They were all very well-made filters from factories in fully industrialized countries.

Originally Posted By: Zero
One more thing....the Filter No. is W94025, can someone tell me what the next larger size would be that would work on this car? I'd like to oversize the oil filter due to the limited crankcase capacity.

I believe the W940/25 is already an oversized filter that Audi back-specced for all eariler 1.8T models. The original filter was even smaller, W930/21, I think.

Mann makes good filters. 5K mile OCI on this filter will be no problem.

IIRC, Mann now owns Purolator. Mann is selling some rebranded Purolator Classics. Looks like these are mostly for domestic models. I would think the Euro applications are still serviced by the traditional Mann filter. I bought some of these Mann/Puro filters on RockAuto. Very good deal. The freight is the problem. I usually throw on some filters when I'm ordering something else.

I'm currently using a Wix filter, but I've read here that OEM filters will often reduce engine noise and currently the 1.8T in my Audi is kinda loud....my teenage son even noticed and commented on it. It may just be the nature of the beast, I don't know.

Anyhow, the car is a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T; The next OC will consist of PP Euro and possibly a MANN filter (depending on feedback)with 5000 mi OCI's as spec'd by the owners manual.

The filter you want is W950/4. Other options are Purolator L40316, Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333.

If this noise you speak of happens after the engine is up to normal operating temperature it has nothing to do with the oil filter. You may need to replace the timing belt and tensioners. At the very least you should remove the valve cover and check for signs of sludge and other problems.

This has been mentioned before on BITOG forums, but the MANN filters you see on ebay and autoparts stores are made in China, and they are official MANN products, however, MANN still makes filters at Germany.

Most top-notch dealers will carry the German-made MANN filters as some people swear by them as well as some German auto mechanics.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I believe the W940/25 is already an oversized filter that Audi back-specced for all eariler 1.8T models. The original filter was even smaller, W930/21, I think.

Mann makes good filters. 5K mile OCI on this filter will be no problem.

You are correct, I found this out today while researching.

What are your thoughts on the MANN oil filters? I've never used them, much less heard of them until I purchased an Audi.

You can buy MANN filters from amsoil.com as well.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
This has been mentioned before on BITOG forums, but the MANN filters you see on ebay and autoparts stores are made in China, and they are official MANN products, however, MANN still makes filters at Germany.

Most top-notch dealers will carry the German-made MANN filters as some people swear by them as well as some German auto mechanics.

Do you know if the Mann filters on Rockauto.com made in Germany? I ordered some intake gaskets and got these from the same warehouse, so I got them included on the shipping I already paid for. I got them for $2.41.

I suggest it would depend on the application. A white Mann for a regular NA or Japanese car is likely actually a Purolator Classic clone/rebadge. The actual German Mann filters tend to be for actual German applications (which are black filters). I'd use either type of Mann filter without any question.

Advance Auto Parts now carries some Mann filters. With the discount codes available the price is very reasonable. The one's I have purchased for the wife's VW have been the made in Germany black filters.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Do you know if the Mann filters on Rockauto.com made in Germany? I ordered some intake gaskets and got these from the same warehouse, so I got them included on the shipping I already paid for. I got them for $2.41.

As mentioned it willl likely depend on the application, but with some exceptions (mostly Euro apps) the greatest majority will be Purolator made in the US, generally thought to be Classic clones.

And, the early US made Mann's were white with a sticker with yellow lettering on green. However, now the US made Mann oil filters have gone to a black color can, same as the ones made in Germany.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I suggest it would depend on the application. A white Mann for a regular NA or Japanese car is likely actually a Purolator Classic clone/rebadge. The actual German Mann filters tend to be for actual German applications (which are black filters). I'd use either type of Mann filter without any question.

They looked kind of like Puro Classics in the picture but it said they have a silicone adbv. The Puro Classic has a nitrile adv I think?

I think you are right about the ADBV. That could be one difference, or the description of the Mann could be in error. Up here, I only get to see the German Manns, and those are entirely different, so what I see in them doesn't help.

Quote:
They looked kind of like Puro Classics in the picture but it said they have a silicone adbv. The Puro Classic has a nitrile adv I think?

Rock Auto's description of the adbv of the US made Mann filters is incorrect. Like the Purolator Classic they have a nitrile adbv.

Member beanoil's comment "I just ordered 10 Mann's from RockAuto @ 2.60 each. Same as a Purolator Classic as far as I can tell, except black colored." from this thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...015#Post2456015

Also a google search 'Mann oil filters cut open' will show many confirming examples (some Bitog) including a youtube of the ML1003 cut open. It shows a nitrile adbv where RA's description says it's silicone. If watched though the comments should be ignored because the maker's commentary is uninformed.

If one can minimize the RA shipping cost by ordering in quantity, then the price is good. But, the US made Mann spin on is a Puro Classic in a black can.

I use MANN filters on all my cars. Certain applications can be hard to find; I ordered a bunch for all my cars from a place called CFP filters. Fast service and free shipping if you buy $50 worth. I like their air and cabin filters, too. Equal to anything out there, IMO. And OEM for my Audi's and Volvo.

I have a Mann HU 726/2 X oil filter and C 37 153/1 air filter in my VW TDI right now. The build quality appears excellent, like the Mahle filters they replaced. I also have a Mann WK 853/3 X fuel filter scheduled for installation at the next OC. The consensus opinion the VW boards is that Mann, Mahle & Hengst are of comparable quality and can be used interchangeably with confidence. Nothing I've seen so far would dispute that.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
IIRC, Mann now owns Purolator. Mann is selling some rebranded Purolator Classics. Looks like these are mostly for domestic models. I would think the Euro applications are still serviced by the traditional Mann filter. I bought some of these Mann/Puro filters on RockAuto. Very good deal. The freight is the problem. I usually throw on some filters when I'm ordering something else.

Correct, Mann now owns the Purolator brand. You can find Mann branded US-made filters that are identical to the Purolator branded counterpart. FWIW, Puro also makes Motorcraft oil filters, so the venerable FL-400S is technically a Mann filter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back