Oil filter for Generac 20K generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My Generac generator requires two year or 200 hour oil changes. I plan on using a NAPA platinum oil filter rather than a Generac filter. Any pro's or cons.

As long as the threads and gasket all fit, I say go for it.

Is it broken in already? I wouldn't run 200 hours on the initial fill. Maybe 5.

Plan to change the initial oil after 8 hours.
30W Amsoil 4 cycle small engine oil
NAPA Platinum filter

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 5W-30 (gold bottle)...

Either the NAPA Gold or Platinum,
Or
Purolator PureONE (gold color, PL ) or Synthetic (blue, PSL)
White one will work in a pinch...

If you don't have an vibration hour meter, look on Allied Electronic web site. $30

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?dsNav=Ntk:primary%7CVibration+hour+meter%7C3%7C,Ny:True,Ro:0&dsDimensionSearch=D:Vibration+hour+meter,Dxm:All,Dxp:3&SearchType=0&Term=Vibration+hour+meter

Last edited:
Puralator PL14476

WIX 51394 (NAPA is WIx, use 31394 or 41394)

Generic says 8 hours first time, then every 200 hours. Use a 5W -30 synthetic....

Not sure this is the right filter, I think it is...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Hi all,

My Generac generator requires two year or 200 hour oil changes. I plan on using a NAPA platinum oil filter rather than a Generac filter. Any pro's or cons.

Pros - the Plat filter is probably a more robost design overall, as the Generac brand line is decent, but nothing to brag on that I've seen.

Cons - need to make sure that you get a DIRECT x-ref for your Generac filter, or the Napa warranty might be compromised by using a non-approved filter for that application.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Plan to change the initial oil after 8 hours.
30W Amsoil 4 cycle small engine oil
NAPA Platinum filter

Perfect.

Generac website says a 5W-30 synthetic oil.

This is supported by the 200 hours of run time between oil changes...

You need a multi-weight oil for proper startup and operation..

Last edited:
I have a Briggs and Stratton 12K generator... 24hp Briggs Pro motor which is supposedly a Nagoma (SP?) from Japan. It has an oil cooler on it.

The installer says 5w-30 Full Synthetic for year round performance. He put M1 in it... I'll keep with the Synth, but likely will go with Auto Parts Store brand once the included maintenance is through. Humorously, after having the generator put in, the power stopped failing. It hasn't gone out in 8 months. But every friday the Generator takes it's 20 mins of exercise.

There should be plenty of good aftermarket filters, I usually just stick a Hastings on mine.

Stick with your NAPA and Amsoil plan. I don't think you could do any better. Get the marine Sta-Bil (it's the blue or green one) too and treat the fuel.

Amsoil indicates their small engine oil meets the requirements for both 10w-30 and a straight 30. They list it as 10w-30/SAE 30.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Generac website says a 5W-30 synthetic oil.

This is supported by the 200 hours of run time between oil changes...

You need a multi-weight oil for proper startup and operation..

Understood.

Amsoil 30W 4 cylce small engine oil has properties of a 10W-30 oil. Designed for commercial use with extreme pressure additives and those to combat rust. I think the pour point is -39F. If you read the Amsoil spec sheet this seems to be the perfect oil for this generator. In CT the temps range from single digits (above zero) to high 90s, low 100s (rare). BTW this is a CNG unit.

Just reviewed the maintenance manual that came with the generator: Copied directly from their PDF

"• SAE 30 Above 32° F"
"• 10W-30 Between 40° F and -10° F"
"• Synthetic 5W-30 10° F and below"

Since the all synthetic Amsoil 30W acts as a 10W-30, it should work well with the weather we have in CT. I have not seen -10F (not including wind chill which doesn't affect machinery) in my lifetime. The properties of this oil seem ideal for standby generators.

But back to my original question. Is a NAPA Platinum filter better/equal/inferior to an original Generac filter.

Last edited:
I have no experience with NAPA Platinum filters, but since they are made by WIX, I have to believe they are very high quality. The Generac-branded filters are most likely made by either Champ Labs or FRAM (same thing, now) to a price point. Not saying they aren't good, just that the NAPA is most likely better.

My sister has a Generac 7kW at her house. Next time my B-I-L changes the oil, (which amazingly enough he does every year) I'll have him save the filter and I'll cut it open. My first filter autopsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back