What oil should I use? '03 tundra. info inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, i have used penzz platinum syn with a puralator one filter in a lower mileage vehicle.

I recently bought a 2003 toyota tundra 4.7 V8 with 168,000 miles.

the Owners manual suggests SAE 5W-30, API grade SL "energy-conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil.

I live in Midland, Texas. dirty, dusty, dry, hot climate.

I drive pretty easily and less than 15k miles a year. I use it to pull a 1800lbs camper trailer to the mountains but do very little "off roading"

the only problem i know of is an exhaust leak.

MOST important to me is longevity of the vehicle. i like fully synthetic and usually stock up on pinzz platinum when it goes on sale, and change the oil every 5k miles. HOWEVER, if i am convinced to do so, i will spend more money on the oil and change more frequently in order to increase the durability of this particular vehicle.

AND, with my lower mileage vehicle ('06 grand vitara), i run marvel mystery oil every 4 oil changes.

THANKS!!!
-Jesse

Toyota 4.7's are very, VERY easy on oil.

Wanna play conservative? Buy syn on sale and change every 7500 miles, or six months. Whatever is cheapest.

Done.

I agree with Addyguy, any brand name(Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Valvoline ...) synthetic on sale is more than adequate for 7-8k/6mo OCI.

you dont think that investing more time and money as far as oil is concerned, will have much more effect than what i am already doing?

Heck, IMO.... you could run a great quality conventional oil for 6K miles or 6 months and save some cash for other things in life.

PYB, Mobil Super, QSAD, VWB, GTX, Walmart SuperTech, Peak, Store Brand conventional oils..... that meet or exceed the API requirements for SL.

I run SM, SL oils when I find them.....I stockpile some favorites in conventional and synthetic. They have cleared out most of the SL oils by now....but you sometimes find some on the clearance rack.

BTW...my vehicle is a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, V6, SR5 with almost 250K miles and most of it's life I've used conventional oil and whatever was on sale/clearance.

IMO...With a good filter and 6K mile OCI with a quality conventional oil....you would be good to go.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
is that the original engine? We have seen lots of those engines in the shop for rebuilds with low mileage

yes. what kind of problems do they have?

thanks everyone for your openions

My wife drives a 2006 Sequoia it's the 4.7 I run PYB 90%of the time sometimes I use quacker state or Mobil 5000 5w30 we have 106,000 on it. I change the oil every 3000 miles I know I i don't have too it's an old habit I won't change. Good luck with the truck

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
My wife drives a 2006 Sequoia it's the 4.7 I run PYB 90%of the time sometimes I use quacker state or Mobil 5000 5w30 we have 106,000 on it. I change the oil every 3000 miles I know I i don't have too it's an old habit I won't change. Good luck with the truck

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back