Changing power steering fluid: proper proceedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who change your own power steering fluid, what is the proper method of doing so? Is it acceptable to just pump it out of the reservoir and refill with new fluid or should the power steering lines be loosened and drained as well?

At what mileage do you change your fluid?

The turkey baster method is typically sufficient if you don't have the time/know-how to flush the system. Many manufacturers don't even have a change interval -- I stick to about 50k since the fluid appears sufficiently dirty by then.

Take the return line off and keep fluid in the reservoir. That's best but if not the turkey vaster method about every 20-30k will be helpful

Well, for a "refresh", I just suck out what I can with a large syringe & flexible tubing from the reservoir and replace with new. Do that every few months (with a little MMO tossed in at the beginning) and you get the benefit of continual debris removal over the long haul. But had it been easy, I would have started with a complete flush. Just do what you are able to and be happy.

Check out this video. I think it's the right procedure (no air locks and doesn't run the pump dry like some other procedures).

I believe it works on almost any car. I tried it on my Honda Ody and it worked like a charm.

I change every 18 months to two years or 15K miles (DIY)

Last edited:
I used to use a turkey baster but now i use a flavor injector syringe i found at kroger, it works much better at not spilling anything. I do it pretty much the same way as others, siphon reservoir every day until my bottle/bottles are used up.

Many vehicles have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with FF PSF, so turkey baster method is pretty much overkill already.

72104_A_520.jpg

On rack and pinion cars you can unhook the return line from the reservoir(cap the reservoir port) extend the line to a drain pan and then with the car(engine off) either jacked up enough to get the front tires off the ground or parked on gravel, turn the steering wheel lock to lock topping the reservoir off till you get clean fluid out of the return line. This will completely replace all the fluid in the whole system. This works especially well on cars with remote reservoirs that are easy to get to.

Originally Posted By: default
On rack and pinion cars you can unhook the return line from the reservoir(cap the reservoir port) extend the line to a drain pan and then with the car(engine off) either jacked up enough to get the front tires off the ground or parked on gravel, turn the steering wheel lock to lock topping the reservoir off till you get clean fluid out of the return line. This will completely replace all the fluid in the whole system. This works especially well on cars with remote reservoirs that are easy to get to.

+1. That's exactly how the linked video does it albeit he empties the reservoir first and fills it with fresh fluid to expedite the process.

That is how I did it on my Ody and the same process should fundamentally work on most of the cars.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I snapped the needle end off the end so its now a flat end.

How does the rubber plunger hold up on that? I use a big medical syringe, but the Honda PSF seems to really expand the rubber to the point that it tears after a while.

I'm interested to know how that holds up!

Originally Posted By: default

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back