Any additive to stop knocking noise on startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Not on my daily driver Intrepid, but another 99 Intrepid I'm selling has a knocking noise on startup. I poured in a quart of 15w-50 to quiet the knocking noise, but it helped very little.

I really just want something to work as a band-aid if anything. Will Lucas or Rislone work? Thanks!

If the "knocking" Intrepid has the 2.7 engine, DO NOT use anything but 5w/30! Also, if it is the 2.7 and it has started to knock, more than likely the timing chain is going and the rod bearings will follow soon! If it is the 3.2 engine, they seem to have a slight knock to them when they start(so do the 3.5's). The 3.2/3.5 engines use 10w/30.

are you trying to use something to cover up a problem to sell it to some inocent buyer?

2.7 engine should NEVER knock. Seriously, I have had 2 people I work with have them screw up. 1 was a 2001 Stratus 4 dr, timing chaing got replaced before it screwed up(95,000 miles). The other was a 2000 Intrepid that the lady only changed the oil every 6-8 months. Problem with that was that she used whatever the dealer pumped into it, and she only lives 3 miles from work. Yah, can we say SLUDGE MONSTER. It blew up at about 78k. Both of them started out with a slight "knock" on start up. Seriously, I have changed the oil on a few 2.7's and they are QUIET. No noise what-so-ever, unless they are getting to where they are going to grenade.

Putting a thicker oil in is a foolish idea.

Will only make the engine work harder to get the oil flowing properly at startup and make it worse.

Wish people would at least do some research before they do things like this.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Does this knocking noise immediately go away upon oil pressure getting up to snuff?

Gary , what would you recommend for that problem. I got a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with that exact problem. I have right now auto-rx it has helped a lot but still some mornings it start knocking for no reason and some mornings it doesn't. thanks

As we have said a Million times: The first thing to examine when you have cold start knock is the oil filter. It must be a good filter with a silicone anti back drain valve. This will keep the oil up in the valve train so it does not have to refill before the bearings get lube. Wicks, Napa gold, purolater pure1 many more, but not Fram. Good luck

quote:

Originally posted by rauljimenez:

quote:

Does this knocking noise immediately go away upon oil pressure getting up to snuff?

Gary , what would you recommend for that problem. I got a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with that exact problem. I have right now auto-rx it has helped a lot but still some mornings it start knocking for no reason and some mornings it doesn't. thanks

This is typically either something draining back that would normally retain its oil content ..or a slightly clogged passage that delays the oil getting to the offending part. Once the oil hits a branch after the main gallery..like the one for the HLAs. It's not obligated to fill them all at one time or evenly.

Now many Auto-Rx treatements have you done? It took 3 for me ..but probably out of impatience and screwing up the sequence by not reading the instructions (an All-American characteristic - only when all else fails ..read the instructions..when that fails ..read them carefully this time
grin.gif
)

If you've only done one treatment, I would recommend a second. My first rinse phase was the most radical for new ticks and whatnot. There was one annoying tick that waited until the third treatment to go away ..but I really never gave it a decent time duration for a rinse or two to find out if it would have gone away all by itself.

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is typically either something draining back that would normally retain its oil content ..or a slightly clogged passage that delays the oil getting to the offending part. Once the oil hits a branch after the main gallery..like the one for the HLAs. It's not obligated to fill them all at one time or evenly.

Now many Auto-Rx treatements have you done? It took 3 for me ..but probably out of impatience and screwing up the sequence by not reading the instructions (an All-American characteristic - only when all else fails ..read the instructions..when that fails ..read them carefully this time
grin.gif
)

If you've only done one treatment, I would recommend a second. My first rinse phase was the most radical for new ticks and whatnot. There was one annoying tick that waited until the third treatment to go away ..but I really never gave it a decent time duration for a rinse or two to find out if it would have gone away all by itself.

Heh I wish i was wrong in the instructions, everything is perfect... this is my 2nd bottle of auto-rx but is only at clean phase. I got a HDEO (chevron) running right now with auto-rx and the filter is a purolator pureone so i dont think I have a filter problem.... the problem seems to come and go and it ****** me off because sometimes I got 3-4 days without a tick and all of sudden in the morning it starts ticking again till oil goes full pressure.

quote:

Originally posted by Intrepid:
Hey guys,

Not on my daily driver Intrepid, but another 99 Intrepid I'm selling has a knocking noise on startup. I poured in a quart of 15w-50 to quiet the knocking noise, but it helped very little.

I really just want something to work as a band-aid if anything. Will Lucas or Rislone work? Thanks!

The "venerable" 2.7 strikes again. Woof, woof.

Sounds like the lower end is starting to chew itself up. A thicker oil won't solve your problem. But a crankcase full of STP or motor honey might muffle the death agony slightly (as it sludges itself up all about the valve train).

Honesty is always the best policy, especially where used cars are concerned.

quote:

.... the problem seems to come and go and it ****** me off because sometimes I got 3-4 days without a tick and all of sudden in the morning it starts ticking again till oil goes full pressure.

Normal Auto-Rx symptoms. Give it a while. It all should pass. I had this too. I got rid of one annoying tick ..and added one that was reserved for abused 3.0 Mitsubishi engines. It went away. I'm pretty sure that yours will as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back