Pennzoil Yellow Bottle - engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use Pennzoil Yellow bottle 10w30 in my Jeep 4.0L since it runs quietest on this oil.

My buddy bought a 2000 Cherokee 4.0L about a year ago. It was owned by an older couple, and they had all the service records for the 96k miles they owned it. As some of you know, the 2000-2001 Cherokees have a weak head casting that can crack. Everything indicated that his cylinder head was fine, but since he had the money and time, we swapped the head with a stronger casting from Clearwater Cylinder. This Jeep routinely sees road trips to other states so we wanted it to be reliable as possible. At the time of the head swap, the Jeep had 125k miles. Since the previous owners used PYB, my buddy continued to do so, since I told him mine runs quietest on it.

The previous owners included a stack of receipts for oil changes and tire rotations, among other small things. The Jeep always had the oil changed in 4500-5000k mile intervals at Jiffy Lube with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30 or 10w30. When swapping out the old head, we found this under the valve cover:

1337008884.jpg

1337008842.jpg

Rocker arms removed:

1337008933.jpg

1337008919.jpg

1337009089.jpg

I was very impressed with what I saw. We will continue to use PYB in our Jeeps. For the price, it seems like a great oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh and here is the new head:

1337009170.jpg

And the finished product:

1337562828.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, they were taken with an iphone for a how-to thread I did for a Jeepforum.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daddi
Looks pretty darn good to me!! Keep doin what you been doin!!

+1
smile.gif

What has the AVERAGE OCI been on this engine with PYB?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: daddi
Looks pretty darn good to me!! Keep doin what you been doin!!

+1
smile.gif

What has the AVERAGE OCI been on this engine with PYB?

4.5-5k is what he said the the PO ocis were.

Can we please flag this thread as "proof that Jiffy Lube is not a death sentence"? Glad to see your car doing well.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Can we please flag this thread as "proof that Jiffy Lube is not a death sentence"? Glad to see your car doing well.

No Thanks, I'll Pass
31.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
You can get the same thing or better with M1 oils with 10K OCIs.

Nonsense, Mobil 1 makes the Jeep 4.0 shed so much iron it'd probably clog the filter. That and the Jeep 4.0 sounds like a brass band on M1, PYB is as quiet as you'll get in the good ol Jeep 4.0.

I prefer to run PYB in mine too.. super smooth and quiet. Thanks for posting Jeepman, awesome looking top end there! I wish mine was anywhere near that clean, but unfortunately it suffers from PO neglect.

Jeepman

I hope you've learned you lesson using Pennzoil. Pennzoil causes sludge because it is made with Pennsylvania crude which is high in wax and you can tell an engine that has run it because when you pull off the valve covers.....
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

In all seriousness, chalk up another clean SOPUS engine. Keep on keeping on.

Engine looks great. Though it would have looked like that with any other name brand oil. PYB is no doubt a good one, keep up the good work!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
You can get the same thing or better with M1 oils with 10K OCIs.

Nonsense, Mobil 1 makes the Jeep 4.0 shed so much iron it'd probably clog the filter. That and the Jeep 4.0 sounds like a brass band on M1, PYB is as quiet as you'll get in the good ol Jeep 4.0.

I prefer to run PYB in mine too.. super smooth and quiet. Thanks for posting Jeepman, awesome looking top end there! I wish mine was anywhere near that clean, but unfortunately it suffers from PO neglect.

Sure, wink, wink.
33.gif

Last edited:

Sure, wink, wink.
33.gif

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in my post but oh tig do I ever get weary of your never ending Mobil 1 *SPAM*. This is a PYB thread for crying out loud. And PYB happens to work very well in the Jeep 4.0, just deal with it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Sure, wink, wink.
33.gif

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in my post but oh tig do I ever get weary of your never ending Mobil 1 *SPAM*. This is a PYB thread for crying out loud. And PYB happens to work very well in the Jeep 4.0, just deal with it.
laugh.gif

In tigs defence if I had his experience with a product I would plug that product at every given opportunity.
But I don't. Yet. Maybe the 15 jugs of ultra will put me in the same happy place tig is in with Mobil

I also have a lot of Ultra in stock and would be recommending it too, except that it's inappropriate to endorse a product the public can't readily get their hands on. No need to get someone's hopes up just to be frustrated in not being able to find / buy it.

Although I am very impressed with the PYB and both of us will continue to run it, this has a lot to do with proper maintenance. The previous owners were the original owners of the Jeep and maintained it by the books. His Jeep currently has only 10k less miles than mine, but is practically silent when running, which is unusual for a 4.0L. I'm actually quite jealous since mine sounds like a diesel.
lol.gif

We will also be doing a UOA on this engine soon with PYB 10w30.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back