Oil industry loses legal battle to block E15

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so sick! The most economical,and least damaging,fuel is straight up gasoline. Wish this country could operate based on reason.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
This is so sick! The most economical,and least damaging,fuel is straight up gasoline. Wish this country could operate based on reason.

This is one of the many reasons I do my best to avoid corn syrup. The corn lobby apparently does just fine without my money.

How exactly does one get standing? Have E15 ruin your engine and then try to sue the EPA as an individual?

David and Goliath would be child's play.

The EPA needs to be completely abolished ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

The EPA needs to be completely abolished ASAP.

Or the corn lobby. Or big corporate farming.

On my bike ride to work today, I saw an old 50's work truck - though "that looks neat" and took a second look. 1/2 a block later I could still note the unburnt fuel smell lingering. Yeah the EPA sucks.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I don't think there have been different nozzle diameters since the days of leaded fuel being sold at the same time as unleaded.

There are 3 different nozzle sizes currently in use in the US today, 13/16" typically for gasoline and two larger sizes only for diesel.

Nothing stops a station from putting a huge, high-flow diesel nozzle on a gasoline pump except for common sense as unleaded gasoline cars have only ever been able to take the 13/16" nozzle.

I've run into all 3 sizes on various diesel pumps, which is fine by me as my Golf can handle the big rig nozzle and anything smaller.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
As furious as I'd be if I had to fill my car with E15, I also don't like it when things are held from the market unless there's a VERY good reason. The oil industry was trying to keep E15 from the market when a lot of cars can run with E85, so I can't say I'm sad that they lost.

If there ever is a push to make E15 mandatory, that's when I'll be happy to see a fight.

E10 isn't mandatory either, but try to find a station that has E0.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
This case wasn't about the requirement to increase ethanol in gasoline. It was about blocking the sale of E15 entirely.

And as a result over the next 10 years Ethanol production has to ramp up every year, in a short while good luck find E10 all you'll see is E15 and greater....

The EPA is proposing regulations on how to go about enforcing the law.

"The dispute over E15 is the latest flashpoint in a long-standing battle over the Renewable Fuel Standard, approved by Congress in 2005 and amended in 2007. The law requires refiners to blend increasing amounts of ethanol into gasoline each year as a way to decrease reliance on fossil fuels and lower greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming.

The Environmental Protection Agency has proposed a 16.5 billion-gallon production requirement for ethanol and other gasoline alternatives this year, up from 15.2 billion gallons last year. By 2022, the law calls for more than double that amount."

E15 is in Canada as well (Montreal).
I've went to Esso, Petro Canada, Ultramar, Canadian Tire, CoucheTard, Petro T, Olco, Shell and Costco.

All of the premium gas had ethanol. Only Shell and Costco didn't.

When I drove in Florida, I found a station called "Marathon" that was selling "recreation gas", basically it's 100% gas, just labeled for the marina.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
The best way to have people get to liking something is to mandate in onto them. Works every time!

Brainwashing them works too...

If you can brainwash legislators, even the better.

a while ago(over a year, IIRC), the EPA was implying that when purchasing E15, the vehicle would have to be ~2001 or newer and it wouldn't be dispensed in quantities less than 5 gallons(to discourage use in lawn equipment, etc).

did this change?

I like the "not dispensed in quantities less than"...does it end up on your feet if it doesn't fit ?

good question. i don't believe it was ever specified what would happen in that scenario. but since it would have been illegal to dispense it into anything other than a 2001+ vehicle, as long as you're not refilling before the fuel guage hits the half mark, anything could fit 5 gallons into it.

did a little looking, that was proposed in september 2012.

{removed link with political comments in it}

so, 2001+, flex-fuel approved and minimum of 4 gallons purchased...

Last edited by a moderator:
That 5-gallon rule could be tough for people that need to top off before embarking on a trip in the Western US. When I tour the Western US, the rule is to stop at the first gas station once your car gets down to half a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back