4x2 or 4x4 Toyota Sequoia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the wifes Mazda MPV with a Toyota Sequoia. We can get the newer model, '08 or newer if we get it RWD only. We can afford the older model, '05-'07 with all the bells and whistles and 4x4. Is it worth it?

Some Info:
We live in N. IL
Wife is primary driver. Driving kids around
She's had RWD cars and no issues
She does not need to drive in really bad conditions
We would like to tow a camper a few times a year

I had an '07 Tundra 4x4. I used the 4wd maybe twice in 2 years? And that's only because I like to drive in nasty conditions
laugh.gif

Thoughts?

Does insurance $ come into play?

4x4 may get a higher resale price at trade in time, but basically, my philosophy is "Don't buy more than you need"

Get the 4x2 to save on maintenance and gas costs but make sure you get a 2nd set of rims for a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's.

We own a 2002 Sequoia Limited 4x4 and a 1997 4runner Limited 4x2. The 4runner gets to places in 4x2 w/ the Blizzaks during a fresh snow storm that the Sequoia has a hard time handling in 4x4 w/ Michelin LTX AT2's.

We travel from the East Coast to upper Midwest during snow storms regularly, that puts tractor trailers on their sides, just fine in 4x2 and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's. Would never leave home w/out them during the winter months.

Originally Posted By: expat
Does insurance $ come into play?

4x4 may get a higher resale price at trade in time, but basically, my philosophy is "Don't buy more than you need"

Yes, the 4x4 is more, plus fuel cost plus maintenance does add up. Hmmm

OMG, can't believe I didn't think of that!! My Prius gets everywhere with my winter wheels and General Artimax winter tires! My cousin is a manager at Discount Tire.. I get a great deal anyways. Ok, now I'm really thinking the 4x2 is the way to go!

Gotta love BITOG!!

She won't get all the bells & whistles.. but has most important things!!

If you haven't needed the 4x4 in the past the 4x2 should be fine. It depends where and when you need to get out. The winter tires always help. One thing to consider as an option is an upgraded differential. Eaton made a TRD/Kazuma limited slip for the Tundra/Sequoia but there are also electronic versions and ARB air locker.

My experience trying things out on a snowy/icy hill in my 4WD Sequoia in 2WD. The traction control uses the brakes to stop wheel spin and transfer torque to other wheel. It also cuts the throttle limiting wheel spin. After about 30 seconds the ABS pump shuts off to prevent overheating and preserve braking. Only one wheel spins, the one with least traction since it is an open diff. You can get stuck easily in those situations (and I had General Altimax Arctics). I needed to engage the 4WD to get out.

5 minutes later I tried the same hill in same tracks in my Dad's 2WD Chevy Express Conversion van with factory mechanical LSD, no traction control and Altimax Arctics. Stopped on the hill, stepped on gas, rear end slid back and forth a little, rpms came up a little and I drove up the hill throwing rooster tail of snow from both tires all the way up but moving with no issue.

Sequoia 2WD does have a VSC off so you don't loose throttle allowing some more wheel spin but that doesn't help the open diff scenario. Tireracks tests showed that best grip on the winter tires was at about 40% slip (spin/throttle) but the traction controls limit them to less than 10%.

I've got a 4x4 Tacoma that I rarely use. I only engage it during icing conditions and even then I don't think it does much. Adding weight to the bed has more benefit I beleave. My next truck will be a 4x2.

2wd SUV is very difficult to sell where winter occurs hence the price drop.

Make sure you get that discount.

4wd is what an SUV is supposed to have. Why people buy them. If you don't use it, thats your preference. But most do, so if you turn vehicles over every few years, small details like that matter.

Its a sequoia, bad mileage anyways.

A gx470 Lexus is in your price range. Loaded out with 4x4.

Just have to shop around.

I took my zook on MT tires, unsiped, to the grand canyon during January of this year during a pretty good 10-12inch dump, throttle control... I put it in 2wd except to climb an unplowed steep (12%) park driveway.

So you know that she can get around fine with RWD, and youll get a newer, better, and more efficient vehicle with RWD, right?

I know it feels good to know you have 4x4, but practically speaking, sounds like you know it wont be used much.

Go 2WD and buy some good tires like Michelin LTX

If we lived in a more hilly or mountainous region, then I would not even think about it.. 4x4 for sure. But this is IL... flat as a board!

As for resale, not worried too much. We plan on keeping it for a long time. My '07 Prius Touring is over 130k and plan on taking her to the junkyard myself. The Sequoia will be with us for at least 5 years and at that time/milage.. the difference in resale is negligible.

Thanks all for the advice!

Now off topic question.. what area is best to buy from? I don't think the Chicagoland area is great.. I believe Morton salt pays Chicago politicians to use as much salt as possible!! They pour that [censored] at the first hint of snow/ice!! TX? AZ? suggestions? I guess any state that doesn't use salt is a good start??

Pretty much. But I'd plan on crawling underneath anything no matter what. Never know what might be lurking.

FWIW, I bought my Tundra two months ago, and despite 73k on the clock and 3 years of New England (it was sold originally locally, and I bought it locally) there was hardly any rust underneath. Just on a skidplate and a the inside of the bumper, easily replaced/ignored items. Frame etc was in very good shape. If someone takes care of it well, it might not be in automatically rusted shape.

Plenty of workarounds for not having 4x4, but to me, at some point, you are buying a vehicle for luxury. That seems to be about 20k+ in my book. A big luxury expenditure should include exactly what you want, or may need in the future.

The older generation has really proven itself time and time again to be solid reliable. Then again it looks a lot older than the new generation.

I would be more inclined to get a fully loaded, but very well kept, older year. More depreciation will have taken place. You start with a newer 2wd and you will eat more depreciation. So i would want a screaming deal on a 2wd SUV. Work demand keeps prices of 2wd trucks up enough but for a large SUV people want that 4x4 just in case.

I would love to have a new pickup someday but my 4x4 T100 will still be worth the 4 grand i have in it for many years to come. A fully depreciated toyota in good mechanical shape is a wonderful vehicle.

4x2 trucks are always cheaper to run, so if you can get away without 4x4 I would.

Less to break; less weight to haul around so they are faster and get better mileage.

How is a 4x2.cheaper in a gas guzzzling v8 again. 15-18 tops in either one...and you'd never tell them apart driving them.

The transfer case fluid and front diff fluid that expensive?

Aren't sequoias selectable 4wd with auto hubs?

You can score the Lexus version for the same price if you look. Exactly the same only tighter interior.

As for where to buy, avoid your state and buy one state to the south and you'll save from rust. Illinois just destroys their roads w
ith ice.

A 4x4 system on average adds 300 lbs. So on a 5,000 lb giant SUV another 300lb is not a lot but still about 6% weight increase. Sometimes, depending on how the system is setup, extra rotational drag is caused. But just for simplicity, the weight alone, will cost you 6%. You will lose that 6% fuel economy unless you exclusively drive non stop highway runs every tank. Its like filling up every 19 days instead of every 20 days. Nothing huge but it is always a factor to be calculated. According to EPA ratings, 4x4 costs 1 city and 2 hwy mpg on a Sequoia.

Another con of 4x4 when towing is considered, the weight of that system is subtracted from your total towing capacity. 4x4 tows less but won't leave you stuck on a slick boat ramp or something like that.

I still believe a large SUV like that should be 4x4 since it is a luxury vehicle. Full size SUV w/o 4x4 might as well be an Econoline van for way less money and more space.

Originally Posted By: dareo
A 4x4 system on average adds 300 lbs. So on a 5,000 lb giant SUV another 300lb is not a lot but still about 6% weight increase. Sometimes, depending on how the system is setup, extra rotational drag is caused. But just for simplicity, the weight alone, will cost you 6%. You will lose that 6% fuel economy unless you exclusively drive non stop highway runs every tank. Its like filling up every 19 days instead of every 20 days. Nothing huge but it is always a factor to be calculated. According to EPA ratings, 4x4 costs 1 city and 2 hwy mpg on a Sequoia.

Another con of 4x4 when towing is considered, the weight of that system is subtracted from your total towing capacity. 4x4 tows less but won't leave you stuck on a slick boat ramp or something like that.

I still believe a large SUV like that should be 4x4 since it is a luxury vehicle. Full size SUV w/o 4x4 might as well be an Econoline van for way less money and more space.

Besides the fuel cost over the next few years.. it's also the maintenance of the system, plus your adding extra high dollar items(transfer case, frt diff, etc) that possibly need repair. This extra cost for the 1 or 2 times a year you might use it?

If I was concerned about reselling, I would more likely be leaning towards a 4x4. And if the right deal comes around.. I'll grab it. But we plan on keeping it and then passing it down to our teenage daughter.

I tried talking the wife into a conversion van.. she dislikes vans
laugh.gif
No one in the neighborhood will no the difference between 2x4 and 4x4.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back