column shifter hard to shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the ole lebaron replaced. My new to me mountaineer is great so far, except every now and then, it wont shift out of park unless i bounce up in down in my seat and shake the truck until it finally moves with little effort. I only figured that out because my dad was with me the first time it happened.
He said his 81 flatbed ford does it if its under heavy load. I was hauling about 400 lbs of quick set cement first time it happened.Now it does it when its just me in the vehicle, parked flat, uphill, downhill, no pattern except AC is on when i shut it off, but that shouldnt matter
confused.gif

Dealership i bought it from looked at it and couldnt duplicate the problem.

I disabled the shift interlock, checked the brake lights to make sure they were working, supposedly theres a sensor in the braking system that locks the transmission in park until the brakes are pressed. ive not found anything solid doing a google search. Transmission was replaced 5k before trading into dealership , was provided Documentation.

I know it sounds petty, but i feel dumb bouncing up in down in my truck in the parking lot at walmart
grin.gif

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Check the linkage from the steering column to the transmission for worn or missing bushings. That could put the linkage in a bind.
Next, see if the mechanism is working properly where the shifter arm comes out of the column. Does the arm have enough clearance to clear the detent where you have to "lift" the lever toward you to leave Park? Third, could be a loose or mis-aligned part on the detent and roller inside the transmission case. Also, something may have been installed wrong when the transmission was replaced.

is the steering wheel locked? If you parked it against a curb, it's possible the steering lock isn't releasing because there is pressure on it.

Try jiggling the wheel.

My grandmother somehow always managed to park the taurus "wrong" and get it stuck. More than once it was towed to the dealer.

Are you using the parking brake? If not and the vehicle's weight is just resting on the park pawl in the transmission, that can make it hard to shift, though usually only on hills. I drove a Super Duty with an iffy parking brake and it would take some force to get it out of P on a hill.

I wasnt using the parking brake, and the steering wheel moves, but more effort is required than normal. I havent parked by a curb yet.

Is it possible that bad shocks in the rear could cause too much weight on the transmission?? My dad made a comment that the rear was kind of bouncy for an suv with an independant suspension. Being my first big truck based suv, i expected a truck like ride and never gave it much thought till i read these responses. Sorry i didnt mention it earlier.

Last edited:
Next time you park it, bring it to a complete stop and set the parking brake before putting the transmission in park. If the parking brake is working correctly, it will keep the truck from rolling back a little and resting on the park pawl. The next time you start it, don't release the parking brake until you start it and have your foot firmly on the brake pedal. It should shift easily. If it doesn't and the parking brake is working, it could be something in the steering column.

The parking brake should be able to hold the truck when running and shifted into D.

Not sure if shocks would help this issue, but at 100K miles if it's bouncy, it's time.

Last edited:
Since it happened to you on flat ground (Wal-Mart parking lot), have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
My new to me mountaineer is great so far, except every now and then, it wont shift out of park unless i bounce up in down in my seat and shake the truck until it finally moves with little effort. I only figured that out because my dad was with me the first time it happened.

So you normally bounce up and down in the seat and shake the truck when your dad is with you? Does he wear excessive amounts of cologne that makes you cough or something?

Also:
Does the shifter have stiff movement even when isn't completely stuck? Some of those little Fords had rust issues that would balloon the transmission range switch causing stiff shifter feel, no-start conditions, and I hear that on one or two years of Ranger it could somehow cause the radio to malfunction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
My new to me mountaineer is great so far, except every now and then, it wont shift out of park unless i bounce up in down in my seat and shake the truck until it finally moves with little effort. I only figured that out because my dad was with me the first time it happened.

So you normally bounce up and down in the seat and shake the truck when your dad is with you? Does he wear excessive amounts of cologne that makes you cough or something?

Also:
Does the shifter have stiff movement even when isn't completely stuck? Some of those little Fords had rust issues that would balloon the transmission range switch causing stiff shifter feel, no-start conditions, and I hear that on one or two years of Ranger it could somehow cause the radio to malfunction.

The shifter moves fluidly when it isnt acting up. Radio is aftermarket pioneer unit that works fine.

Lol , when it happens with a passenger with me they get out and push on the front to rock it into gear, if im by myself i cant get back in the truck fast enough to shift out of park before it gets stuck again, so i rock it from the inside and it probably looks like im just bouncing up and down like a moron.

Last edited:
check cable for binding, or missing/broken bushings for shifter tube in steering column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back