Polyalphaolefin (PAO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one used or added Polyalphaolefin to there motor oil?
I have herd that it is stable to very high temps and is used in factory equipment where the oil is never changed.

Isn't a good part of Mobil 1 synthetic PAO?
I use Mobil 1 in my z28, my car was a Quart low so I toped it off with PAO. So my car has about 80% M1 and 20% PAO in its crank case.
Where do you get your PAO?
I did some more looking and found that straight PAO has viscosity of about 5-40. And starts to break down around 625'F, HOT stuff.

Schaeffer's blends 20-25% PAO in their 7000 and 9000 series motor oils. AKA group IV basestock, which I believe is derived from ethylene gas. Is what you're referring to a retail packaged supplement, and not basestock?

quote:

Originally posted by oil pan 4:
Isn't a good part of Mobil 1 synthetic PAO?
I use Mobil 1 in my z28, my car was a Quart low so I toped it off with PAO. So my car has about 80% M1 and 20% PAO in its crank case.
Where do you get your PAO?
I did some more looking and found that straight PAO has viscosity of about 5-40. And starts to break down around 625'F, HOT stuff.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing...." Alexander Pope, 1709.

All lubricants consist of a base oil plus an additive package. PAO is one of several base oils, and there are several PAO viscosities the oil blenders choose from. Adding more base oil to a finished lube is BAD. If you did have access to straight PAO, you should have never assumed you could put it into oil. Give your engine an oil change soonest, and do not think you can outsmart the oil company chemists.

Ken

quote:

Has any one used or added Polyalphaolefin to there motor oil?
I have herd that it is stable to very high temps and is used in factory equipment where the oil is never changed.

Adding straight, unadditized PAO to your current PCMO is very dangerous. As ebaker stated, adding pure PAO oil to your crankcase will dilute the additives and cause increased wear.

Number 1, you don't know what viscosity should be used and you don't know how to retune the additive package.

Unless you have extensive post-graduate education and/or experience in chemistry and tribology, don't try to second guess the formulator or oil engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back