Wrong oil in Sprinter van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbp

The RV service place put an oil that is spec'd for MB 228.31 but the 2006 model year spec is for MB 228.3. They have agreed to change the oil, but how much driving can I do until then? They are about 50 miles from me and it's going to be a few weeks until I can get bak over there. Meantime, we need to use the RV. Is 2000 to 3000 miles too much?

I'm not certain you will see any issues over a very short interval. However, one of the techs at my work drove his sprinter over 100000 km using 15w40 CJ4 oil. Rather than have the service at the dealer, he took the Sprinter to Mr. Lube every 15000 km and they put in Pennzoil 15w40. The vehicle went off lease after that. I don't know what dammage was done but I bet the DPF may valve been damaged from the wrong spec oil used.

Yes, you're right, there are oils that meet both specs but this one doesn't. Rotella 15W40. I checked on the MB web site and it's listed for one spec but not the other.

Ok. I guess I'll just run it as needed and not worry about it. It may only be a few hundred miles or we may strike out for Florida. Just never know. Thanks.

Make sure you use the right spec for warranty. MB specs are tough. I don't recommend running a 15w40 CJ-4. My tech was lucky that nothing happened in the interval he had it. Those engines ain't cheap. I gave him proper [censored] once I found out about it. I pity whoever got that vehicle after it was returned off lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back