Best oil for cleaning and stopping blow-by

I was under the impression that E7 would have the strongest add pack. Is switching to a HDEO worth it compared to usual PCMO? For info, what i mean by PCMO is an A3/B4 oil.

Blow by is combustion gassing getting past the piston rings. Stuck piston rings are usually a result of the engine oil getting past the rings or past valve guide seals.
Performing the same experiment and expecting different results, well we know what that is called.
Changing valve guide seals seems like a lot of work in 40C weather, so what to do in the meantime?
Europe is a big place and you could live in Madrid, Spain to Rovaniemi, Finland or anywhere in between. Simply going to a higher viscosity grade to solve the problem is a matter of knowing the coldest temperature on startup your car will subjected to.
Each to their own, but ambient permitting I use a group one SAE 40 such as Delo 400 or Duron to clean up old engines, followed by the appropriate multi grade hdeo.

Hi everyone, recently bought another MB diesel, a 97 W202 C250 Turbodiesel this time, with the OM605 turbocharged engine. It has 370k km (about 230k miles).

It has quite a bit of blow-by, the cap isn't really dancing but it looks and sounds like it would fill up a plastic bag in no time. I don't know much about how the car was serviced. All i can say is that even with an almost dead battery, it starts beautifuly at the first crank rotation when cold and it pulls quite hard for what it is. Maybe the provious owner ran it on crap fuel and not enough oil changes and mostly did short distances.

Perhaps the rings are coked and i could slowly improve things with a bit of TLC. What oil would you use? I'm not talking about specific brands as i live in europe but mostly specs. All PCMO are A3/B4 rated but i also have access to a good selection of HDEO as i have a tractor supply store nearby. Which HDEO specs should i look for?
Try hotshots stiction remover.
It's doing a great job cleaning out our gummed up rings on our honda odyssey we just bought.

...I use a group one SAE 40 such as Delo 400 or Duron to clean up old engines....
Group I has become relegated to use in additive packs to keep them in suspension before blenders blend up a final lubricant/product. I'm not confident that there are many automotive lubricants that contain bulk Group I--everything's been appreciably replaced with Group II in North America. @Foxtrot08

Group I has become relegated to use in additive packs to keep them in suspension before blenders blend up a final lubricant/product. I'm not confident that there are many automotive lubricants that contain bulk Group I--everything's been appreciably replaced with Group II in North America. @Foxtrot08
That’s called “making a submission to a higher authority as a negotiation tactic”.

Not really. Facts aren't negotiated, and he is a great source of truth for the forum. He's not a 'pal.' If I'm wrong, he's willing to squash my statement. And that's a reply helpful to me and this thread..

"Today, in the US, Group I base oils have been displaced by Group II oils"

Also, he has mentioned the cost of group I has gotten very expensive. Since Group I doesn't help blenders meet modern specs, it is rational to see that blenders aren't going to find financial leverage to use it.

Group I blends work for deposit solvency, just not confident anyone can find it on the shelf. Is there info to provide confidence on the contrary?

Not really. Facts aren't negotiated, and he is a great source of truth for the forum. He's not a 'pal.' If I'm wrong, he's willing to squash my statement. And that's a reply helpful to me and this thread..

"Today, in the US, Group I base oils have been displaced by Group II oils"

Also, he has mentioned the cost of group I has gotten very expensive. Since Group I doesn't help blenders meet modern specs, it is rational to see that blenders aren't going to find financial leverage to use it.

Group I blends work for deposit solvency, just not confident anyone can find it on the shelf. Is there info to provide confidence on the contrary?

You are completely correct.

Group I base oils are essentially reserved to strictly industrial products and maybe, maybe solubilizing certain additives. But the vast majority of “straight” weights are group 2’s.

For OP’s question, I would recommend an engine oil systems cleaner. HPL makes one, a lot of others make one. I would go that way, or an ester based product (HPL, redline, etc.) instead of trying to shake stuff out with an HDMO. Why? HDMO won’t hurt anything, but at the same time esters, and oil systems cleaners are proven to work.

That’s all.

But yeah group I’s aren’t common.

Like I said clean the PCV valve / oil separator out first.

Using an oil system cleaner or engine flush is more than likely to have fun with worn oil seals as well - instead just fill with the cheapest conventional oil that meets the spec and change oil after a few hundred miles, once or twice. Yes I know they all say they have seal protectant additives.

I am going to remove the CCV next week while everything is apart (valve cover & intake plenum gaskets). Did an oil change two days ago, flushed the engine for 15 min with a liter of diesel, put 7 liters of fresh 15W40 in and a new filter and there's less blow-by now. Still some but 100% sure that either the flush or the 15W40 did something.

I am going to remove the CCV next week while everything is apart (valve cover & intake plenum gaskets). Did an oil change two days ago, flushed the engine for 15 min with a liter of diesel, put 7 liters of fresh 15W40 in and a new filter and there's less blow-by now. Still some but 100% sure that either the flush or the 15W40 did something.
Without doing a leak down test how do you know what the blow-by is?

Valvoline premium blue RESTORE. Hard to find but works. You’ll need to go to a truck service center to find it.

Back