Recent Topics
Video: Hit & Killed by Lightning after Robbery
by aa1986
Today at 01:18 AM
Another massacre in Oz, this time children.
by Shannow
Today at 12:49 AM
I Have Pennzoil 5qt.Jugs And None Are Exactly Full
by crazyoildude
Today at 12:26 AM
Reason for GTX Synblend Clearance
by aa1986
Today at 12:20 AM
Interesting Valveless Axial Engine -- New Zealand
by Y_K
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Tribute top-end 'refresh' with pics
by addyguy
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
Castrol GTX SynBlend - Any Good?
by Nick1994
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
extended interval oil filters
by dothedrew1202
Yesterday at 09:34 PM
'05 Scion Xa
by womcat
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
1 year OCI - When to change?
by camrydriver111
Yesterday at 06:32 PM
What Airtex, Autolite, Fram and Prestone all hav?
by chad8
Yesterday at 06:12 PM
ODO fraud. What would you do about it?
by friendly_jacek
Yesterday at 05:24 PM
Newest Members
StevenOs, caferacer, Blearyeye, AggiePreacher, novcz
52232 Registered Users
Who's Online
32 registered (aa1986, Digital2k2, Dirty_Howie, dgunay, dishdude, david_ES2, 3 invisible), 511 Guests and 194 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
52232 Members
66 Forums
223675 Topics
3546787 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#3020865 - 06/02/13 08:11 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
AlienBug Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Most likely, against the law. - I don't really care, I speed and do rolling stops through stop signs all the time. Have not gotten a ticket in over 24 years.

I drove by a scene where someone had done this and the car ended up driving over the enbankment and down into a pond, in the winter, with kids in the vehicle. - I will take my chances since my car is a stick shift and would stall in 1 second if it somehow got put into gear.

It should trip an evap leak code. - It doesn't, I have done it a million times.
Also,most stations post signs saying "Shut off engine before fueling" - I really don't care

I'm surprised someone hasnt come out and harrassed you over it.Pump islands usually have 2 way speakers so they can hear inside that the engine is running. - It is a 4 cyl Saturn that runs pretty darn smooth so no one is going to hear it over a crummy speaker. And if they did come out I would be done filling up my tiny tank anyhow.

I am not just trying to argue here - I want to know if anyone has ever heard of some car blowing up or real damage happening to a modern car in good repair. No gross negligence counts (IE - kids putting the car in gear and it rolling into a river and then going over Niagra Falls.

So the safety signs, the law, the opinion of other Bitogers and your wife won't sway you. You obviously have an extremely low threshold of brief, marginal discomfort. I hope no one places a pea under your mattress.

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL, 120k, Motorcraft 5w20 synblend, Motorcraft filter

2000 Nissan Maxima SE, 160k, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, Extended Guard

#3020868 - 06/02/13 08:13 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: AlienBug]
RiceCake Offline

Loc: Coldtown, Canada
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
So the safety signs, the law, the opinion of other Bitogers and your wife won't sway you. You obviously have an extremely low threshold of brief, marginal discomfort. I hope no one places a pea under your mattress.

I'm gonna take a guess he's the sorta guy where nothing he does is wrong,

But everyone else, yeah, they're wrong all the time.

I'd love to see him come back and complain that he lost his car to a gas station fire caused by "some idiot who didn't know better".

Edited by RiceCake (06/02/13 08:14 PM)

#3020869 - 06/02/13 08:15 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: RiceCake]
Barkleymut Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
You have to be a monumentally pompous ignorant selfishly stupid buffoon to ignore a basic safety step to prevent you, your car, the gas station and everyone around you being at risk for the number of odd freak circumstances that could arise and cause a hugely dangerous, deadly accident because you don't want to turn a key backwards and forwards and you're incredibly bothered by the extra four seconds of warm air you're stuck with...

The real problem is people are too polite to inform those who do this of this fact.

So you did not answer or even address my question you assuming jack wagon.

#3020870 - 06/02/13 08:16 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: GreeCguy]
heyu Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Surely someone will call me a liar or totally insane or perhaps even that I have a death wish, but I actually smoke when I fill my car up with gas. I don't do it all the time, but if I happen to have a cigarette in my mouth, I don't put it out. I've done this for years and no one at any time has ever stopped me or said anything. I do not advise or recommend doing this, but it is a bad habit of mine.

I DO NOT recommend --> but i live to tell seeing a guy put a lit cigarette down a gas tank filler neck on 2 separate occasions

#3020871 - 06/02/13 08:16 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: gathermewool]
CharlieW618 Offline

Loc: Du Quoin, Illinois
No body mentioned the possibility of a spark from static electricity. One little spark and it could warm things up quickly.

#3020874 - 06/02/13 08:18 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Also,most stations post signs saying "Shut off engine before fueling" - I really don't care

Up here, if the clerk is paying the least bit of attention (and they often are), they'll just disable the pump from the cashier station.

It's hard to get away with it here with DRLs and visible exhaust in winter.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3020875 - 06/02/13 08:18 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: RiceCake]
gathermewool Offline

Loc: New England

The real problem is people are too polite to inform those who do this of this fact.

No, because the know-it-all jerks who perpetrate acts that blatantly disregard established or offical rules may also be the type to get in your face, or at the very least ignore you out of spite anyway.

In other words, people who do reckless or stupid things are usually aware that they're doing something wrong, and their personal gain outweighs their risk of having some one pick on them.

It seems as if the OP is one of the rare few who just doesn't understand that it's not acceptable to leave the car running while fueling up.

Next, we try to figure out a way to communicate to those with 98% visibility that right-in-front-of-me on the highway isn't the best place to turn your squirters on to remove that on pesky bug splatter on the windshield - well, a way less aggressive than passing them and then turning your squirters on in front of them. wink

Edited by gathermewool (06/02/13 08:19 PM)
VWB 5W-20 + Fram Ultra Guard filter

#3020877 - 06/02/13 08:19 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
OneEyeJack Offline

Loc: S California

#3020880 - 06/02/13 08:21 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: GreeCguy]
Barkleymut Offline

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Surely someone will call me a liar or totally insane or perhaps even that I have a death wish, but I actually smoke when I fill my car up with gas. I don't do it all the time, but if I happen to have a cigarette in my mouth, I don't put it out. I've done this for years and no one at any time has ever stopped me or said anything. I do not advise or recommend doing this, but it is a bad habit of mine.

OH NO! lol, Growing up in VA and NC I have seen others smoke many many times while fueling up. I do not do it but I do not freak out if I see others doing it.

#3020888 - 06/02/13 08:24 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: gathermewool]
Barkleymut Offline

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

No, because the know-it-all jerks who perpetrate acts that blatantly disregard established or offical rules may also be the type to get in your face, or at the very least ignore you out of spite anyway.

In other words, people who do reckless or stupid things are usually aware that they're doing something wrong, and their personal gain outweighs their risk of having some one pick on them.

It seems as if the OP is one of the rare few who just doesn't understand that it's not acceptable to leave the car running while fueling up.

Next, we try to figure out a way to communicate to those with 98% visibility that right-in-front-of-me on the highway isn't the best place to turn your squirters on to remove that on pesky bug splatter on the windshield - well, a way less aggressive than passing them and then turning your squirters on in front of them. wink

I DO NOT CARE if it is acceptable. Neither is picking your nose but we all do it. the only thing I want to know is how MY 2004 SATURN ION 5 speed with no one in it is going to combust or start rolling. thats it, nothing else. And 4 billion to one odds are not going to change the arguement. I want some darn facts. Now I am going to watch that youtube vid that someone posted.

#3020889 - 06/02/13 08:26 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: OneEyeJack]
GreeCguy Online   content

Loc: Elderly County, Florida
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I thought the idea was to "smother" the flames, not beat the poor man.

#3020896 - 06/02/13 08:32 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
Quattro Pete Offline

Loc: Michigan
I DO NOT CARE if it is acceptable. Neither is picking your nose but we all do it.

Except that picking your nose is not illegal, last time I checked.

Also, you picking your nose is unlikely to endanger anyone, other than maybe induce nausea. smile

#3020897 - 06/02/13 08:33 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
Chris142 Offline

Loc: apple valley, ca
I do it all the time. Yes its illegal nut IMO its safer than starting your car when the starter brushes throw sparks near the ground where the fumes are. Its never tripped a cel yet.
Z400 maxima 20w50
KLR250 Maxima 10w40
Polaris Trailblazer delo 5w40

#3020905 - 06/02/13 08:39 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: RiceCake]
Kuato Offline

Loc: MT ---> Memphis via Houston
You have to be a monumentally ....

No need to get insulting.

I notice all the fine folks in Canada and the Northeast US saying the car won't heat up much when it's off during a fill up. You've obviously never been in a climate where it's 100*F and 95% humidity with blazing sun, like Richmond, VA where OP is from. I moved from that area last year so I know. The inside of the car can easily go from comfortably cool to way hot in the time it takes to fill up, even if you are on a long trip and all the materials inside have had time to cool down. So OPs question has merit on that part alone. Highly inconvenient if you are on your way to the most important interview of your life.

Yes, it's not as safe to fuel with your engine on, and signs warn against it. IIRC the law was originally made back in the day when manual transmissions outnumbered automatics by a huge margin and e-brakes weren't as reliable; this was to keep vehicles from rolling away as they were being fueled. Today's 90%+ automatic to manual ratio pretty much takes away this reason.

True it could trip a code and may interfere with fuel indication. As far as fuel getting on the hot cat? Well, the cat isn't going to cool that much during a fuel up so not much weight to that argument. And I've seen gasoline poured on a hot exhaust pipe and...no fire.

A larger concern is for kids in the car that might not be secured and could put the vehicle in gear, and also the chance that the vehicle could easily be stolen by someone waiting for just such an opportunity; or both at once with another tragic outcome. Of course I've seen too many times when parents leave their car running with kids inside to go into a convenience store....

I'll end by saying that I've left my vehicle running when fueling -- but only when it was 10 below Fahrenheit; as a good BITOGer I was concerned about what I would be doing to my oil if I shut it down after driving 6 blocks from work to the station on my way home. crackmeup

Edited by Kuato (06/02/13 08:41 PM)

88 Dodge D150, 318 2wd MT 176k
04 Jeep Wrangler 2.4 MT 186k
13 F150 5.0 4x4 27k

#3020907 - 06/02/13 08:40 PM Re: Leave a car running while refueling [Re: Barkleymut]
Errtt Offline

Loc: California
I don't do it... besides, around some parts here, some scum might risk jumping in and trying to take it... passengers or not.
I know one who had his car warming (cold winter), and when he was scraping ice on the back window, his car suddenly drove off. They found it at a high school and it was in the morning about time for kids to go to school, or it just happens where it was abandoned.
It was dark and he didn't see the guy. Such a weird feeling he said seeing your car go without you.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >