Leave a car running while refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refueling while running is stupid and places your bum and others at risk for explosion.

I guarantee that if my family and I were at the next pump, your engine would be off.

Around here leaving the engine on is common practice.
It is wise to lock the car up and put a Club on the steering wheel, besides setting the hand brake.

I use an extra set of keys for lock up.

While I always turn off my car when refueling, I bet the good ol EPA has a hand in this argument... Idling your car unnecessarily and all

Last edited:
None of those words you mentioned was the one I was thinking of.

About a year ago I pulled into a gas station where the woman on the other side of the pump was smoking. I put it back into gear and went down to another station about a mile away. At the time I was hoping a mile was far enough...

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Surely someone will call me a liar or totally insane or perhaps even that I have a death wish, but I actually smoke when I fill my car up with gas. I don't do it all the time, but if I happen to have a cigarette in my mouth, I don't put it out. I've done this for years and no one at any time has ever stopped me or said anything. I do not advise or recommend doing this, but it is a bad habit of mine.

The OP ask what could happen. many answer, and he respond with "I don't care." The OP seems like a logical, intelligent, and mature person.

Carry on.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Sometimes when it is 99 degrees out and I need 10 gallons of gas I will leave the car running with the AC blasting so I do not step back into a sauna. My wife thinks that she should take out an extra life insurance policy because this is obviously much more dangerous that wresting 19 foot gators.

I fail to see how a modern car in good repair can possibly have anything go bad by doing this. Honestly what could go wrong?

It's called survival of the fittest: 50,000 years ago it was Sabre-toothed Tigers. Today it cell phones in the hands of idiots driving their cars while talking on their phones or people who think commonsense shouldn't apply to them just because they already have none.

The difference is today you, or your estate, can get the fillings from your teeth and everything else you own successfully sued away from you. If ignorance is bliss you're already in heaven on earth.

Originally Posted By: whip
The OP ask what could happen. many answer, and he respond with "I don't care." The OP seems like a logical, intelligent, and mature person.

Carry on.

I asked what could happen and people said it was illegal. I don't care if it is illegal, I asked what could happen. Carry on yourself smarty.

Six yrs ago, a fellow was fuelling his car. Ignition was off (law in Ontario). All of a sudden he noticed a flames shooting out from the fill hole. He hit the emergency off switch on the pump. Ran inside and 911 was called. Thankfully no one was inside the car. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Anything can happen. I wont even refuel with passengers inside. After all was said and done, his car was destroyed along with most of the gas station. No one was hurt.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
how is it "dangerly stupid"?

What is going to happen? Specifically? See not one person has answered what is going to happen in my 2004 Saturn ION with a 5 speed and no one else in it. BTW, most of my fill ups are in rural areas, almost zero chance of theft.

- If you over fill the gas might get sucked up into the evap and the intake system, which could cause a bad backfire.
- your car or the gas dispenser machine might get hit by another car while refuelling, everybody runs away while fuel is spilled all over and your car is running.
- a dork before you spilled some gas on the ground and you pulled in right after him. The hot exhaust could cause fire as the air reaches the right fuel vapor to air mixture.
- your parking brake fails and your car hits a guy filling up a Jerry can which gets spilled all over the front end of your car with running engine.

All very unlikely scenarios and I'm sure there are dozens more. All it takes is one split second when all the right things combine and you may end up, or more importantly someone else may end up injured or dead.

As you mentioned, all very unlikely...but they are things that could happen. THANK YOU for an organized and thoughtful post that answered my question. I think the one where my car could be hit by another car is the most possible one and is actually worth turning the car off in the future. Of course July and August are coming up soon
frown.gif

I had another customer interrupt me when I was on my phone and filling up. And then he preceded to fill up with his door open and the interior/door lights on.

that kinda erked me.

"smoke when I fill my car up with gas" i have heard it said that a cigarette will not lite gas unless you knock some fire off of the cigarette. but if i see you doing it, ill RUN very fast. dont know that is really true. but dont test that idea.

Criminal negligence, murder, manslaughter, theft, property damage. the least I would do is ask the clerk to turn off your pump. If I was in a bad mood the cops would be called. Obviously you don't think life is important, especially other peoples lives. Unfortunately getting you into jail would only cost me more money than I am probably already paying(leave this little bit out). Fortunately most poeple in my area understand common courtesy and respect for the lives of others.

Last edited:
I never really paid attention to the signs. Does the same federal law that prohibits "dispensing gasoline into glass and unapproved containers" also prohibit leaving the car running? If so, I would shut off the car if anyone who looks like an FBI agent is also getting gas.

I wouldn't be concerned beyond that. Every police car in the country would have gone up in flames long ago if it was a problem.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Darwin has been busy. But he'll get there.

+1

So long as I don't die in the ensuing gas station fire anyhow.

OP refuses to listen though. When he gets told its dangerous, he asks why. When he's told why, he says it won't happen, and then asks for more proof it will.

This is where, if I could, I would be making a fist and pumping it rhythmically in front of myself to explain this entire topic's purpose.

I count from the OP's posts 23 mentions of I, my or me, and 8 mentions of the rest of the world, i.e. someone, you, but I didn't count no one. Two of the yous were part of an insult, so really, only 6 mentions of anyone other than himself. None of them showed concern, simply mention of others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Darwin has been busy. But he'll get there.

+1

So long as I don't die in the ensuing gas station fire anyhow.

OP refuses to listen though. When he gets told its dangerous, he asks why. When he's told why, he says it won't happen, and then asks for more proof it will.

This is where, if I could, I would be making a fist and pumping it rhythmically in front of myself to explain this entire topic's purpose.

Yes: Beauty fades, stupid (unfortunately) is forever. Ignore Darwin and become extinct.

You know, in all of these posts, I can't believe you guys missed this-

Here in my "hood" (state in this case) you leave a running car at a gas pump, someone else is going to leave in it.

Nothing says "steal this car" like it running with a full tank of gas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back