Added VSOT to my Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added 5oz of VSOT to my oil last night. Next up, LC20
grin.gif

I've never added any oil additives to my car, it's got just under 35k, so it may not need much. However it is a 1.8 T... so anything to maybe eat up any coking from the turbo is fine with me.

Car runs Amsoil 5w40 Euro Blend (Old blend, currently).

So says you! A number of Audi/VW members put turbo timers in their cars to prevent coking. There's no coolant lines running through these turbos, just oil.

use LC in the oil to reduce oxidants and FP in the fuel tank for additional intake and combustion chamber/turbo cleaning...this may be the perfect application for a pure ester based syn like Redline or Motul...extra cleaning and breakdown resistance can only help...with Redline's healthy dose of soluble moly, you don't need VSOT

Yeah and people put cool down timers on their PSDs and Cummins pickups too, just to give themselves the warm and fuzzies. Without the timers they probably will never be able to coke up their turbos before the body falls off the frame anyways.

Similar turbocharged diesel engines in UPS trucks run WOT half the day then get shut down how many times a day while hot and they last 350K on average with very few turbo issues.

If you are using a good oil that is meant for turbocharged vehicles and change it at the recommended intervals, I sincerely doubt you'd ever have a turbo failure related to coking. Unless you have a crappy design, poor oil flow, or some ridiculously hot running turbo.

It's all about the warm and fuzzies. I was under the impression this engine had sludge issues, not turbo coking issues. I suppose sludging enough could end up coking the turbo, but again, good oil and reasonable OCI should alleviate that concern, maybe hit it occasionally with some ARX.

And besides, my bet is that the VSOT would lend itself to turbo coking faster than a high dollar synthetic like Amsoil by itself would. I smell frying polymers!

Well, poor designs I guess, still make it thru. The low pressure turbo model saab 9-5's have blown many a Garrett turbocharger due to coking. Synth blends and dinos are the most common culprits but a fair amount of sludging and coking has been seen even w/ synths if not drained soon enough. Again, this is a water-cooled turbo, as well. So, turbo coking is not quite ancient history.

Turbo users... per VSOT webpage.

VSOT helps prevent engine oil thermal and oxidative breakdown. Despite adding thickness/viscosity, it improves cold flow start-ups.

Keep second-guessing it & knocking it... expecially without any documentation.

Huh, I'm not knocking it. I've got some new STP oil stabilizer sent off to get analyzed for everyone for the same reason.

Now, there is a real danger if you have an already fragile turbo that a super high viscosity oil can push through the seals. But seeing as Saab tells you that you can use 0W50 if you can get it, I don't think I'll be hitting that threshold.

How does it speed cold flow when it won't even come out of the bottle when it's 30 degrees or less?
dunno.gif
A very similar product, Schaeffer's Moly EP, made one of my tractors turn over much harder on cold days than with the same oil without the EP. It's thick, period.

As far as VSOT goes, maybe it does help with oxidation and breakdown...when added late to overextended drain intervals. If you look at the info, it says it resists breakdown and oxidation better than STP. Not good synthetic motor oil. As has been mentioned countless times, in good oil formulations, you probably aren't making the oil any better by adding VSOT. The research that has gone into making these formulations is complex and very balanced, and throwing additives in willy-nilly is, at best, a calculated risk. Will it hurt anything? Maybe not, but over the long haul, potentially. Will it help? Probably not.

I am sure that there are engines and turbos out there that can still lend themselves to this problem, but again, using excellent oil and draining it when it needs it (UOA) should prevent 99% of these problems. With sludge and coking, ARX is probably the best bet to clean it out safely, while preventing its return.

Triple Se7en is obviously a firm believer in this product, and that is fine. I have thought about using it myself in a couple select applications on older units that could benefit from the viscosity boost and added AW additives. I have ended up using Moly EP since I couldn't find VSOT locally. That said, IMHO, it is not the right product to fix/prevent the problem we are looking at.

It is my feeling that the inevitable shearing of the high concentration of long chain polymers could lead to sludge issues on long drain intervals, perhaps creating an environment ideal for some primo turbo coking. Also, the thought of all those thickeners sitting on the scorching hot turbo as it cools doesn't make me feel too great either. We all know what happens when they burn in the combustion chamber--they stick rings.

Don't do any more guessing about VSOT Strjock81 -- until you try it. Start with a full bottle - then reduce to half-bottle with 2nd OCI.

This is not snake oil & for cold starts, additives that cling to metal parts does not have be thin in composition.

quote:

Originally posted by Marco Esquandoles:
Added 5oz of VSOT to my oil last night. Next up, LC20
grin.gif

I've never added any oil additives to my car, it's got just under 35k, so it may not need much. However it is a 1.8 T... so anything to maybe eat up any coking from the turbo is fine with me.

Car runs Amsoil 5w40 Euro Blend (Old blend, currently).

Is the 1.8T the Volks with the small oil pan ..around 3to 4 quarts ?? I just wonder becuase we have had a few posters that have had coking problems with one of the Volks models ...because ot small volume oil pan and extended drain interval ( following the manufacturers recommended interval )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back