Eating Vasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know Robert Chesebrough, the fellow who discovered "Vasoline" lived to be 96 years old? He credited his many years to eating a spoon full of vasoline every day. Anyone else ever try this?

No.

I never tried it. And i never heard of it.

And i had to read your post three times before realizing that you might not be telling a joke.

[still not sure, btw]

regards

My Grandma used to eat Vicks Vapor Rub when she had the flu/cold.

Honestly. A big tablespoon. She made all her kids to it too....my Mom still gags when she smells that stuff.

Yep, I've heard this before.
It probably keeps you very regular.

It was also used as a topical antiseptic back in the day, although it has no anti bactierial qualities It will seal an abrasion pretty well.

The only thing that I use it for is the good old Petroleum Jelly Cotton Ball (PJCB) fire starters that I have in my fire kit.
Although they are kind of messy.

I've also found that a cheap crock pot from a thrift store will melt old candles and crayons. Tear small strips of newspaper, roll them up and tie them with some thin string, then use the string to dip into the crock pot and dry them on a piece of wax paper.
Less messy for just as good a fire starter.
The harder wax holds up better in warmer weather than the Vaseline.

My Grandmother once told me that her Father told her to eat the fat from whatever meat they were having for dinner because it was good for her and would grease up her insides. This would have been in the 1920's.

On fire starters...

Get an old egg carton, fill the cells with sawdust. Pour melted wax over them. They make great fire starters, although they might be a bit bulkier than what you were talking about.

Last edited:
4633595222_30f90dc385_m.jpg

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Did you know Robert Chesebrough, the fellow who discovered "Vasoline" lived to be 96 years old? He credited his many years to eating a spoon full of vasoline every day. Anyone else ever try this?

I am willing to bet that Chesebrough is the Chesebrough part of Chesebrough-Ponds cosmetics Co.

Disclaimer: NO, I am not into cosmetics. I am an investor that is pretty familiar with corporate histories.

Castor oil is a laxitive. Other laxitives (as I understand it, I eat oatmeal for breakfast and so have never had the need, TMI, LOL) are made of mineral oil. Vaseline is mineral oil and should have a similar function.

Don't they use Vaseline as a replacement for some kind of food (lard?) in African and other developing nations?

My cat likes it. She saw me putting some Vasoline lip balm on my lips and wanted to know what I was putting by my mouth. I put some on my finger and she eats it right up. Which is good since she hates the hairball chicken flavored hairball goop in a tube. I had to rub that stuff on her paw so she'd lick it off. But before licking it she would try to fling it off her paw first which would end up on the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back