deadbeat customers, lets hear it.

The amount owed isn't large enough to be worth chasing. My guess is since the property was bought when the market was super hot, then selling a short time later, I bet they're upside down on it. I didn't do anything wrong, they just decided not to pay for the last two months worth of work. Was working for them for 3 years. I wanted to ask on here thinking it was a good topic for entertainment purposes lol

You could always hire a guy named BUBBA to visit this customer and remind him of the debt he needs to pay….

🤕

Last edited:
Yes, happened here. I am out about 5-7k worth of equipment + labor to the company my FIL works for. Have called, e-mailed, texted... nothing. Been over 2 years now.

I debate from time to time wanting to do more but do not want to screw up anything for my FIL or his employment/health ins... etc.

It really stinks to be honest.

And why haven’t you taken legal action…. ?

No way I would tolerate that crap. 🤬😤

Over 40 years in business I got screwed a few times just part of business. One in particular really galled me. A trusted customer that I had worked for years with needed a replacement well pump to the tune of about $1,600.
I installed it he said he had to leave and leave him a bill. Not a problem. After not receiving payment I stopped by his house only to find out that it was sold and he moved to the west coast. That one still bugs me. And he certainly had the income to pay.

Over 40 years in business I got screwed a few times just part of business. One in particular really galled me. A trusted customer that I had worked for years with needed a replacement well pump to the tune of about $1,600.
I installed it he said he had to leave and leave him a bill. Not a problem. After not receiving payment I stopped by his house only to find out that it was sold and he moved to the west coast. That one still bugs me. And he certainly had the income to pay.
What about filing a mechanics lien? Or just repossessing that pump?

You could always hire a guy named BUBBA to visit this customer and remind him of the debt he needs to pay….

🤕
I usually call in a Paulie type (if 👀) it has to get to that point
1708787505527.jpg

What about filing a mechanics lien? Or just repossessing that pump?
You cannot legally repossess a pump once it is installed. I know a guy who did just that and he was required to reinstall it. And I could not lean the property as it was under new ownership.

I’ve never owned my own business, but I have definitely been stiffed on deals before. I think there are some people who just don’t think they should have to pay for things. I don’t believe it has anything to do with them having or not having money. It is an entitlement issue. I have seen well off people who act this way. They have plenty in their pocket, but they want something out of yours too.

Through experience, I’ve gotten a lot better at identifying the type of person who would stiff me beforehand. There are subtle clues in behavior.

An aside: the folks who come on here and rant about poor service from McD’s or WM are the types of people who would probably make my spidey-sense tingle on being stiffed for payment.
My experience has been that the more $$$$ a customer has the harder it is to get them to pay.

It sadly is the cost of doing business. It makes one angry having your service/ product stolen.

I guess I'm one of the lucky few. I can count on one hand the number of customers in 10 years who have stiffed me or that I don't want back. I trust most of them to the point where after hours pickups are commonplace and allow many to make payment the next day or two - I've had some who all but beat my door down to do so! I never worry about getting paid.

I've been blessed with great folks who appreciate my work and service to them. In fact, I consider some to be friends now - one in particular invites me and a couple of other guys over to race on his super custom slot car track once a week. He also has a band that I'll go to see when they play.

I feel a big part of it is that we don't advertise and all of our customers are word of mouth references from a group of decent, hard working core customers.

You cannot legally repossess a pump once it is installed. I know a guy who did just that and he was required to reinstall it. And I could not lean the property as it was under new ownership.
That stinks. I read all the time about contractors being stiffed and then successfully going after the new owners of a house. That's why when buying a house you get a release from the subcontractors saying they got paid, or something like that.

My experience has been that the more $$$$ a customer has the harder it is to get them to pay.

That stinks. I read all the time about contractors being stiffed and then successfully going after the new owners of a house. That's why when buying a house you get a release from the subcontractors saying they got paid, or something like that.
Only if you don't get title insurance and somehow it gets sold with the lean. If it sells before a lean is placed, then you're only left with collecting from the owner directly is my understanding

Last edited:
My wife had a number in her various business. If she judged something uncollectable, she would send them a 1099C. They would have to claim the forgiven debt as income on their taxes, otherwise it's audit and penalty time. The amount then came off of her income.
If the property is being sold you can also file a lien on the property. That screws with the sale until you are paid.
I see it says $600 or more. Does that mean I cant send one for an amount less than that?

Back