Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the reliability differences between the 1st & 2nd Generation CRV's with 4WD?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Research burning valves on 1st generation.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Are you talking about the 4WD component itself, or for the whole vehicle overall?

Both really....

The CR-V has never been known for transmission problems or for 4WD system problems. The 1st generation has the B-series engine, and valves must be kept in check on this engine. The 2nd generation has the much better (at least in my opinion) K-series engine. The 2nd generation, however, suffers from A/C system durability problems. Honda extended the A/C compressor warranty on some models.

Some part of me, however, wants to get a 5M 1st generation CR-V and put AT tires on it and have a little camping/kayak rig. The valves on a B-series engine are quite easy to adjust for a DIYer. The B-series does have a timing belt to replace (whereas the K-series doesn't).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Some part of me, however, wants to get a 5M 1st generation CR-V and put AT tires on it and have a little camping/kayak rig.

That would be awesome!

39087924071_large.jpg

25761450005_large.jpg

honda-crv2.jpg

1st gen- Keep the valves adjusted on time and the oil changed and it'll be a fine vehicle. I like my little crv
laugh.gif

Heres mine doing some towing haha.
HFfm0l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Isuzu made the early ones if that makes a difference. Some have had great luck with Isuzu and others have not.

Not aware of this. Thought Honda's Passport in the mid-90 was simply a rebatched Isuzu Rodeo and that was it.

2 different manufacturers, 2 different innards, no crossovers that I'm aware of.

Q.

If AWD and offroad is your interest the first generation CRV I would definitely steer you against. Subaru AWD is likely the best for the price otherwise get a Jeep or other vehicle designed for offroad.

used to have a gen 1 in previous marriage.

It was more fun than you'd think--- very scrappy, very nimble. I can see the off road appeal. the AWD component was reliable--- needs fluid changes by the book--- and was quite adept at keeping it moving through moderate (7-10") snow and other slick stuff.

I would not recommend it for heavy off-road thrashing where the AWD is going to be used continuously, like endless miles of thick soup--- I suspect that would cook the gearbox. but for regular running of trails, I think it would be fine.

There is adequate torque down low. at least ours had it. IDK if our exh manifold was stock or not, but it was basically a 4-1 tubular header. pretty cool if it was oem. It did give it some growl on long hill climbs.

That said, it's not a jeep. it was lightweight which made it nimble, but that's different from heavy and "tractor." both have their places, but they will be hard to compare. Be careful of the lower suspension bits in the tail off pavement.

comparing it to a subaru? depends on the year of the 'ru and transmission. subaru has made several different AWD mechanisms, some better than others. The CRV has ground clearance right out of the gate... where most subies still sit a little low and would need a lift. Not too hard to do, but more work. Having owned a 97 'ru (and a '90) and a 97 CRV, I'll say that I personally prefer subarus--- they are a little heavier vehicles--- though the shape of the CRV and it's stock ground clearance might make it a little easier to mod for light trail work-- those pics above outdo anything I've seen in a modded 'ru. CRV also had better bottom-end torque, which is NEEDED. have fun!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
There is adequate torque down low. at least ours had it. IDK if our exh manifold was stock or not, but it was basically a 4-1 tubular header. pretty cool if it was oem. It did give it some growl on long hill climbs.

It's probably stock. Our 2008 also has a 4-into-1 tubular "header". Modern engines usually have good bits like this to keep flow as high as practical when also considering the constraints of cost and mass production. I've found the low- and mid-range torque from our CR-V to be more than adequate for the needs. I'd like to try a 1st generation model with the B-series engine. Mate it with a 5-speed manual and I think it'd be quite fun.

Our daughter will be driving in 8 more years. Unfortunately, that's far enough in the future to where there will be no more low-miles 1st generation models. The current plan is to pass down our current 2008 (which will be 13 years old at that time) and replace it with a newer one at that time. But we'll see what life presents us over the next 8 years.

My buddy's eldest son has a 2000 CR-V and it's been great even though is not taken care of very well(~160K miles). IIRC, he purchaced the CR-V with ~90K and run the vehicle quite hard. Seems to be a very tough little vehicle!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
buster, just get a Jeep.
grin.gif

Anyway, I've been told that the early Gen 2 CRVs are notorious for A/C system failures.

+1 the seals in the OE compressors are no good and leak. The 02 I had was really good though until some DB totaled it.
mad.gif

They are reliable if you change ATF and the Diff fluid every 30k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back