How to dispose of 'old' gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have about 1 gallon of gas from last fall for the mower. We can dispose of oil and anitfreeze at our facility. Would like to do the 'right' thing environmentally.

Let me know.

How old is the gas? If its a year or so old, stored in a good container, this is how I get rid of it. I fill up, drive about 20 or so miles and add half a gallon to the tank. Next fill up I'd do the same thing again.

Won't bother the engine will it? (not being sarcastic - just curious) Why is it not ok to use on mower but it is ok to use in car?

Thanks.

I put mine in my wife's car.
grin.gif

To answer your question: dilution. A little bit of old gas mixed with a fair amount of fresh gas makes reasonably OK gas. Be conservative, like demarpaint said 1/2 now, 1/2 later and all will be fine.

Does your local garbage dump have a day where hazmat is accepted? If the dump has a day where they take hazmat, take it to the local garbage dump.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I put mine in my wife's car.
grin.gif

To answer your question: dilution. A little bit of old gas mixed with a fair amount of fresh gas makes reasonably OK gas. Be conservative, like demarpaint said 1/2 now, 1/2 later and all will be fine.

10 +

My first cut was with gas left in my mower. Topped it off with gas that I bought mid summer last year. The mower won't care unless its really old. Less than a year is not really old.

But if your really concern just dilute it in your car. The car definitely won't care with that kind of dilution.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
My first cut was with gas left in my mower. Topped it off with gas that I bought mid summer last year. The mower won't care unless its really old. Less than a year is not really old.

But if your really concern just dilute it in your car. The car definitely won't care with that kind of dilution.

Same here, just finished up the gas i bought probably last Sept, mowers ran fine...

I dumped approx four gallons of really stinky stuff I drained from a junk car into the company van and it didn't care in the least, actually seemed to run better... Also last fall I drained gas from 2009 out of another car I have, burned that in my pickup and it didn't care either...

Take your 1 gal of "old" gas, put it in a 2 or 5 gal gas container.

Fill rest of container with fresh gas and use in any vehicle, mower or other outdoor equipment.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Why not just use it in the mower?

I've put old gas in a mower before and the fuel was bad enough that the mower would not shut off. It was obviously self-igniting. A car will not have any problems with year-old gas that has been diluted down.

Originally Posted By: skellyman
Just run thru you daily driver .

^^^^
This.

Or, you could pour it on some of your tough weeds or small trash-tree stumps.

(super eco-weenies need not respond)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back