Catalytic converter shield - how important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one on the CR-V is rusting out. The one above the converter that protects the floor is fine, it's the one surrounding the converter that's rusting out and rattling. I improvised a quick fix with some hose clamps last year, but can I just cut the thing off so long as I don't in tall grass or dry leaves?
IMG_0295.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, around here what you have is "fixed"!
My Malibu did this a year ago, I just band clamped it and forgot it. You don't always get to choose when you have a mechanical issue on the side of the road and could end up with a spot on the evening news.

I have one that rattles on my F-150.
Supposedly the "fix" is to wrap it in fiberglass.

I just leave mine and chuckle when people ask me what's wrong with my truck.

My neighbor replaced his recently. Its actually a sandwich of 2 covers. $27 ea. The hardest part was the bolts attached to the converter itself. Rusted bad. What he was told is the covers dissipate heat away from the cat which reduces the possibility of catalyst overheating/fracture.

I was asking because while the clamps are holding it together, it rattles like crazy on the pipe now because it's no longer attached.

My moms rusted and rattled on her 04 crv. I took it off years ago. My dads 06 frontier same thing. Took em off. No problems to date.

All Fords do this and have for quite some time. They are the worst and can be taken off with no ill effects that I have ever seen. GM's eat alternators. Chryslers, Kias and Hyundai's throw trannys. Take your pick. Not too sure what Hondas and Toyotas tear up but they all have problems.

I'd be careful if I were you and do some research on doing that on your particular car. Many idiots every year set their car on fire by removing a heat shield and its usually the one shielding the firewall from the cat converter. Just be careful , if you do remove it and set your car on fire, insurance won't cover it, if your dealer catches it they can decide to void your warrantee for "purposefully creating a hazardous situation where other covered (under warranty) components could be damaged".
-srv

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
I was asking because while the clamps are holding it together, it rattles like crazy on the pipe now because it's no longer attached.

Your clamps are WAY too loose. Snug 'em down a lot more and the noise will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back