Catalytic converter heat shield replacement

Besides the simplest option of "do nothing", what sort of options are there for shielding a catalytic converter ? The heat shield on one of my cats rusted away and I got it removed yesterday. The 2nd one is okay for now but can't be far behind.... I suspect that factory/OEM converters are uniquely shaped that a "universal" shield may not be feasible. I do see on Amazon that there are small rectangular-shaped blankets available but I suspect those are probably meant to go between the converter and the body/floor of the car vs somehow being wrapped around the converter. If something were to wrap around, it would really need stand-offs too, wouldn't it ?

What shield did you lose, the tin thing that rivets to the floorboards but stands off, or the tin thing that wraps around the cat?

For the former, you can make huge "fender washers" out of, yup, more tin, and shoot them into the floor with self tapping screws.

For the latter, you can usually wrap the whole mess with a couple hose clamps and get some more time out of them.

There are many cars on the road that seem to survive without the heat shields. IMO they're there for a worst case scenario-- hard misfire driving up a mountain pass-- that most people wouldn't put their car through.

Besides the simplest option of "do nothing", what sort of options are there for shielding a catalytic converter ? The heat shield on one of my cats rusted away and I got it removed yesterday. The 2nd one is okay for now but can't be far behind.... I suspect that factory/OEM converters are uniquely shaped that a "universal" shield may not be feasible. I do see on Amazon that there are small rectangular-shaped blankets available but I suspect those are probably meant to go between the converter and the body/floor of the car vs somehow being wrapped around the converter. If something were to wrap around, it would really need stand-offs too, wouldn't it ?
What car is this?

What shield did you lose, the tin thing that rivets to the floorboards but stands off, or the tin thing that wraps around the cat?

For the former, you can make huge "fender washers" out of, yup, more tin, and shoot them into the floor with self tapping screws.

For the latter, you can usually wrap the whole mess with a couple hose clamps and get some more time out of them.

There are many cars on the road that seem to survive without the heat shields. IMO they're there for a worst case scenario-- hard misfire driving up a mountain pass-- that most people wouldn't put their car through.
Well as long you don't park the car in the grass and the heat from the converter starts a fire. Asphalt or cement wouldn't have this issue so normally not a problem.

or the tin thing that wraps around the cat?
Yes

What car is this?
'08 G35

Well as long you don't park the car in the grass
As I understand it, this kind of situation is what those shields are for and I can't say I park in grass too often. I have and I'm sure there's times I will again. I suspect the top half of the "shell" adds add'l heat shielding for the floor of the car but the one that's riveted to the underbody is still intact 100% and actually looks in great shape.

Likely not cost effective but a good sheetmetal shop or hot rod/body shop could create an approximation. Find an HVAC shop that doesn't blink when you ask about square-to-rounds for commercial ducting and they won't struggle much with any shape

I just repaired one on a '98 CRV but it had rattled off a mounting ear due to vibration, not rust. I just zapped it back together and I'm guessing the weld will hold longer than the vehicle will survive at this point.

Likely not cost effective but a good sheetmetal shop or hot rod/body shop could create an approximation.
One issue with any sheet-metal (whatever material it would be made of) is getting it wrapped around the converter. The exhaust would need dropped to get enough room though it may be enough by just removing it from the rubber hangers that are right there close. If it needs unbolted, with the amount of rust our cars end up with here, it wouldn't be wise as it would likely end up needing heat, cutting torches, etc. I suppose I could just use a half-shell shield only on the bottom and exhaust clamps.

Removing what was left in there required cutting with snips, bending, brute force, etc to get out (and had to be careful to not rip it through the O2 sensor's wiring).

Back