My new tire choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Originally Posted By: bourne
Side Note : Out of curiosity , can anyone "not recommending" RS-As possibly elaborate as to why ? like out of personal exp, friends yada yada

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

Had them as OEM on several cars - hated them. Noise and wet traction the two biggest complaints.

I find they don't wear great, and they are terrible in rain. Other than that, noise seems fine, and dry pavement traction is fine. I don't push my car hard in the corners so I can't elaborate on that. They are just not a great tire though, I'll say that. (They are stock on Civics with 205/55/16)

I would go with General Altimax or the Coopers if it were me. I don't buy into any of these big name tires especially Michelin. You can get equal if not better tires for less, than Michelin and Goodyear.

That's also a first I've seen the RSAs recommended. They weren't bad back in '97 when I first drove on them, but by today's standards, they are horrible. They are probably the oldest tire in GY's lineup. You see them many times as OE for a reason: they are cheap. That's it. I have them on my current ride, and can't wait for them to wear out. I actually don't know if I can wait that long, because they appear to be wearing like bricks (I guess that's another "plus" for some -- it's a "negative" for me).

Either one of your other choices would be fine. I've read good things about both.

I had the RSA on a focus and they were ok in dry .. mediocre in wet.. bad in winter..and had uneven wear even with rotations.

I replaced them with Yokohama S.drives that were better in every way except noise.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I think I'm leaning towards the CS4s. Just checked tirerack and appears the Eagle GTs are offshore produced. I'd rather spend my money on domestic produced products where I can.

What concerns me is (believe it or not) tires that last too long. I'm concerned about dry rot, give this is a summer only car. It's taken me 6 years to rack up 40K...

My dad put the CS4'S on his 07 Camry which replaced the oem Michelins. Even with 30k miles on them he joked about swapping those tires to his new 12 Camry thats how much he liked them. Quiet, smooth and hardly any wear, no dry rotting. Of course keep the Armol all away from them. If the car sits in the garage you should be golden.

Use summer tires for summer only car.
Low milage (40K in 6 years is not much) is benefit as summer tires wear out quicker than all seasons (usually).

Krzys

I got the new tires today. I went with the advice of my tire man at Discount who is a friend outside of work; and against the advice of many who replied to this thread. I got the Eagle RS-As.

My initial impression is very favorable. I like the tires. The ride is noticeably less harsh than the Hankooks & they stuck real good on the cloverleaf entrance to the freeway.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I got the new tires today. I went with the advice of my tire man at Discount who is a friend outside of work; and against the advice of many who replied to this thread. I got the Eagle RS-As.

My initial impression is very favorable. I like the tires. The ride is noticeably less harsh than the Hankooks & they stuck real good on the cloverleaf entrance to the freeway.

How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

eww.. just eww... but its your car..

the non oem size ones are better than the oem size ones if that matters.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

Under $500 out the door....

Originally Posted By: Rand
eww.. just eww... but its your car..

the non oem size ones are better than the oem size ones if that matters.

If it made any sense it might....but seeing how it don't it doesn't...

Just an update on the RS-As

This week I pulled the car out of the garage for it's first spin since last October. I do nothing special for storage as far as the tires go. No plywood or jackstands. Just parked it at a few pounds over the sticker pressure.

I expected the tires to have flat spots that would take forever to work out - but to my surprise; they were good out of the chute. No thumping, pulling, or vibrations.

Still not seeing where these get a bad rap....oh well, bring on the 32 MPG. It's a welcome change from my truck!

I did alot of research on tires. Eagle GT=not so great. I went for pirelli p7 cinturato. Seems like a good touring tire, 70k mile warranty and mail in rebate. I also liked the bridgestone re970's.

The RS-A in oem sizing tends to be a different tire than the RS-A in non oem sizing

ie different construction and materials.

oem sizing is the tires that come from the factory.

example my ford focus came with RS-A's
so 195/xx/r15 was an oem size with a special compound that was horrid.

My friend bought some for his ranger in an aftermarket size and really liked them except in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back