Very detailed presentation of Skyactiv technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. For the money, I can't believe how well my M3 performs. It is like a sports car on the cheap.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Interesting. For the money, I can't believe how well my M3 performs. It is like a sports car on the cheap.

You are the first one to refer to your car as M3; certain yuppies won't be happy with that usage!

They are fun to drive and throw around ... especially for what is a pretty bland market. CX-5 is fun also.

Technically it's a Mazda Mazda3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
You are the first one to refer to your car as M3; certain yuppies won't be happy with that usage!

I did that on purpose. Plus, M3 is a lot easier to type. I usually just call it a 3. Ha ha!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Can the 6 speed mazda3 with Skyactiv really get 40 MPH on the highway ????

I'm getting 42 MPGs lately with the nice weather in mine for my work commute about 11 miles one way, 60%/40% hyw/cty.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

I did that on purpose. Plus, M3 is a lot easier to type. I usually just call it a 3. Ha ha!

A lot of people call it a M3/M5/M6. When I first started here and they would say M3/M5/M6, I would send them across the street to the BMW dealer.

Depends on the driver. My Focus is rated for 34MPG highway ... I routinely get 38-40 highway. I drive it light.

I am a heavy footed driver and still get about 34mpg combined. I did see 39-42 on a recent trip to Houston and that was at 80mph on I45. Lots of cars in this class get this type of gas mileage, though, and I expect the numbers will increase over the next few years. It seems like the manufacturers complain bitterly with every increase in CAFE yet they somehow manage to make the numbers years in advance.

Before posting a bunch of "buts" I do realize that there are ways to finagle your numbers as a manufacturer with CAFE credits.

I would hope for everyone's safety that a new Mazda3 should be able to do at least 70 MPH on the highway.
56.gif

I did see 39-42 on a recent trip to Houston and that was at 80mph on I45.

This is nice to see, as a skyactiv 3 hatch is something I've been thinking of picking up in the future. When I'm on a road trip, I want to get there and avg 75mph or so. 40+ mpg at that speed is great!

Very interesting. While I am not a fan of the direct injection at this time its always good to read of how real advances (no matter how small) add up to some real world results.

I know that race cars use tuned exhaust headers for many years, I wonder how much the Skyactiv headers rely on the DI and the other engine tweaks to be used in conjunction for the increased performance and fuel economy. Its not like I could go and buy some headers from Weapon R (or whatever) for the Corolla install them and expect any kind of performance/fuel economy gain (dynos have proved there is virtually no performance gain with after-market headers for the Corolla)

In the end I hope this means more companies will look outside the box for increases and move to perfect the ones that already work well.

I should clarify that the speed limit on I45 is 75 so 80 is just pacing with traffic.

Also, the 3 does not utilize the tuned exhaust header for the "full" Skyactiv treatment. The CX5 is fully Skyactive with the body and frame changes. The 3 doesn't have room for the header and uses a pretty conventional manifold. The body has some extra spot welds to tighten things up, but it is basically a mature platform that had Skyactiv put in it to help boost - and this is just my supposition - CAFE for Mazda since 40% of its US sales are of 3's.

Including the Skyactive engine there are about four choices for the 3. I am not sure what the 2014 redesign will bring when production moves to Mexico.

Sorry.. I meant 40 Miles per Gallon on the highway.

I like the Mazda3, but didn't they have problems with the clutch wearing out before 70K miles ?

Sorry.. I meant 40 Miles per Gallon on the highway.

I like the Mazda3, but didn't they have problems with the clutch wearing out before 70K miles ?

Only if you have a bad driver behind the wheel.

BC.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I did see 39-42 on a recent trip to Houston and that was at 80mph on I45.

This is nice to see, as a skyactiv 3 hatch is something I've been thinking of picking up in the future. When I'm on a road trip, I want to get there and avg 75mph or so. 40+ mpg at that speed is great!

The Mazda 3 is getting redesigned at the end of this year.
If you are in the market, you should wait, and either get the new car when it comes out, or get one of the leftover 2013 cars for a hefty discount.

I'm sure the new Mazda 3 will be offered with the 2.0 gasoline engine, the 2.5 gasoline engine, and a diesel engine. The Mazda 3 will be the fuel mileage king in it's category after the redesign occurs.

BC.

Very slick presentation and clearly great technology. Interesting how they mentioned part-time "Miller cycle" aspect of the gas engine that is technically incorrect as Miller cycle requires supercharging or turbocharging. The correct terminology is Atkinson cycle. My guess is Mazda deliberately didn't use the correct term as it sounds hybrid like.

We will have to wait to see if any problems with the new technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back