Tune Up 09 Mercury Mariner v6/3.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All,

I am getting ready to do some scheduled maintenance on my 09 Mercury Mariner with the v6/3.0L engine. According to what I have read, because I commute only a few miles to work and sometimes do some fast accelerations due to my being a firefighter and responding to calls, I should be following the Extreme Driving/Hauling maintenance schedule. I have 60,000 miles on the vehicle and just replaced the brakes. (I'm the original owner) I put about 15,000 miles on the vehicle a year and like to take care of as much of the vehicle myself as is possible. I am looking to replace/do the following and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on parts, intervals, additional maintenance, etc.

- Flush Radiator Fluid (Planning to use Zerex G-05 Gold, at least 1 flush with RO water, then refill 50/50)
- Replace the Spark Plugs (Suggestions on what kind of purchase?)
- Bleed/Replace Brake Fluid
- Replace Air Filter
- I am told the fuel filter is part of the pump. Is this replaceable, or only if I need a new pump?
- ATF Flush. I will most likely use (Amsoil Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid)

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I should replace or service? Is so, what parts or brands should I use? Thanks for the suggestions.

Joe

Thanks for the reply simple. I did pick up a 3M Fuel System Cleaning Kit from Amazon.

What does MAS stand for? I searched the Forum but didn't find it listed in any other post.

Joe

I agree with everything you have listed.

According to the pictures on rockauto.com I think the fuel filter is inline meaning it is serviceable.

I would also add PCV replacement and differential fluid change (look in your manual to find correct viscosity).

As for the plugs, use Motorcraft and nothing else.

he should have put MAF which is mass air flow sensor. Be careful with this. Get "mass airflow sensor" cleaner. It is in a can about the size of wd40. Just spray on the sensor itself for 3 to 5 seconds and then you are done.

I would just drain and fill the radiator. maybe 2x with a week inbetween.

I'd clean the throttle body by hand.

and the mass airflow sensor with mass airflow sensor safe spray.

everything else looks good.

Motorcraft plugs and trans filter for sure. I had a house brand trans filter fit like [censored] in a 4r-70w. Fords-more than any other brand in my experience like oem parts.

If the 2009 is similar to the 2005:

The fuel filter is a stand-alone, replacement component. Look under the driver's side about where front and rear doors meet. If your manual suggests a change interval, this should be where the filter is. The fuel line is under pressure which must be relieved before you take things apart, which can be done by removing the fuel pump fuse with the engine running.

The spark plugs on the V6 are a bear to replace. The intake manual has to be removed, new gaskets put in, etc. The suggested interval on plugs is 100k: I'm waiting and will have the dealer do this.

The PCV valve is another 100k maintenance item, but they're cheap and it's not hard to do, so you could put that on the list.

Nothing wrong with doing everything at once, but I think it's a tad early for an '09 to have a coolant flush. I start doing mine around 5 years. I do think that it's a perfect time to replace trans and differential fluids.

If it has the factory Premium Gold the coolant should be good until the 5 year mark hits (which you're getting close)-find your cooling system capacity in your owner's manual, flush with the RO or distilled water, drain as much as you can, add PG or G-05 in 1/2 the listed capacity, top off with distilled or RO.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Nothing wrong with doing everything at once, but I think it's a tad early for an '09 to have a coolant flush. I start doing mine around 5 years. I do think that it's a perfect time to replace trans and differential fluids.

5 years on trans fluid? I would not be able to sleep. $40 for 4 quarts of ATF and a trans filter. 1 hour of labor. Why not do it at 60k?

If you flush with water,then use 50/50, you'll end up with less than 50/5o because of the pure water remaining.
So Measure the concentration when done, and adjust accordingly.
Use Motorcraft plugs unless you have a good reason not to.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with doing everything at once, but I think it's a tad early for an '09 to have a coolant flush.

+1; if OP doesn't want to break the bank; I did a G05 swap on my 2006 last summer and the original coolant looked (i know not scientific) new.

Quote:

MAS

MAF, doh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If you flush with water,then use 50/50, you'll end up with less than 50/5o because of the pure water remaining.
So Measure the concentration when done, and adjust accordingly.
Use Motorcraft plugs unless you have a good reason not to.

According to my Chilton Manual, on the V6 Model, there is a Radiator Drain Fitting as well as Engine Block drain fittings on either side of the engine. If that is the case, would it not be enough to drain the engine completely and then I wouldn't have to worry about any water remaining?

Joe

If you have a plug on the engine then yes you will get 98% of the coolant out and be fine to just refill with 50/50. The main thing to pay attention to in this case is getting enough coolant back into the engine. It doesn't just drain in there from the resevoir tank or radiator. The thermostat is going to have to open up at least once (probably twice) to "burp" all of the air out. So after you drain all of the coolant do a 2-5 mile drive to get the temp. up. Then come home and wait for a while then check the level. Keep an eye on it for the next few days to make sure it keeps the radiator full.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Motorcraft plugs and trans filter for sure. I had a house brand trans filter fit like [censored] in a 4r-70w. Fords-more than any other brand in my experience like oem parts.

Question on the ATF Filter. I went to RockAuto and they show 2 different MotorCraft ATF filters.

#FT193 is $11.38
#FT190 is $38.79

Any idea which one I need?

Joe

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
that is weird. I googled both of them and they both appear to fit your truck.

So of course the MORE expensive one will filter the ATF fluid better right?
confused.gif

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back