Michelin MXV4 treadlife @ 42210mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where they started (10/32 or 11/32 or other) but I just checked the tread depth of my Primacy Mxv4's, size 205/60r16, on the Accord and they measured 8/32" all the way around with 42210 miles clocked. Would that be about 60% remaining tread?

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I'm not sure where they started (10/32 or 11/32 or other) but I just checked the tread depth of my Primacy Mxv4's, size 205/60r16, on the Accord and they measured 8/32" all the way around with 42210 miles clocked. Would that be about 60% remaining tread?

According to the specs shown on Tireracks site, the MXV4 205/60/16's started at 11/32.
The percentage tread remaining will depend on how far down you decide to wear them to. Some prefer to replace tires at 4/32, others may choose to take them down to the legal limit of 2/32. Overall tire performance begins to be compromised at 4/32 and less, especially wet tire performance. Using 4/32 as the replacemnt target, that means 7/32 of usable tread life. You have used 3/32, or about 43% of usable tread life, so about 57% of tread life is remaining, all depending on even wear. Your 60% estimate is just about right.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Originally Posted By: k24a4

According to the specs shown on Tireracks site, the MXV4 205/60/16's started at 11/32.
The percentage tread remaining will depend on how far down you decide to wear them to. Some prefer to replace tires at 4/32, others may choose to take them down to the legal limit of 2/32. Overall tire performance begins to be compromised at 4/32 and less, especially wet tire performance. Using 4/32 as the replacemnt target, that means 7/32 of usable tread life. You have used 3/32, or about 43% of usable tread life, so about 57% of tread life is remaining, all depending on even wear. Your 60% estimate is just about right.

Excellent. Thank-you for the breakdown!

Since we don't have rain from around April till Dec, I had less than 3/32" early April and almost slick early November, I then replace it before the raining season begins in December.

The performance was actually better with slick tires on dry pavement, I could take a 270 degree on ramp at higher speed than it was full tread.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM

Panic stopping 4/32"
This is a good video on TR that shows the difference. also remember that these tires are shaved to a lower depth so are still softer also unlike the harder worn ones on our vehicles.

My Michelin MXV4 S8's and my Nokian WRG2's got REAL scary in the rain on my Sonata at 4/32". Hydroplaning sucks at 65 mph!

i have never been able to take a tire down to 2/32 or anywhere near, I think I begin to lose traction considerably around half thread, as soon as snow hits, I have to put on new tires.

I think the Tire Rack measurement may be optimistic, or else they've changed the tire recently.

I got 10/32" on our MXV4's brand new. I realize we're only talking about 1/32", but for the sake of accuracy it could have been anywhere between 10/32" and 11/32".

Safe to say you have a lot of life left in these tires.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I think the Tire Rack measurement may be optimistic, or else they've changed the tire recently.

I got 10/32" on our MXV4's brand new. I realize we're only talking about 1/32", but for the sake of accuracy it could have been anywhere between 10/32" and 11/32".

Safe to say you have a lot of life left in these tires.

According to the specs on TireRack, there are a few sizes of the MXV4's with less than 11/32 tread depth. The 215/60/16's for example ( H & T rated) along with a few others. These tread depths can range from 9/32, 9.5/32 to 10/32. When questioned about the 215/60/16's specifically, Tirerack stated that this size was used as a factory installed tire by Toyota and Nissan and had less tread depth to make it lighter
so it would contribute to the MFR's reaching their EPA mileage targets. They were also
claimed to have better ( less ) rolling resistance that the other size tires. We'll take the extra 1/32 !

Well, in this case my measurements are off our freshly purchased Primacy MXV4's for our Honda Accord, in the same size as the OP. The conclusion is that there appear to be variations even among the same tire.

The only difference I can think of is that our Accord is a V6, which uses a V-rated tire instead of the H-rated on the I4 Accords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back