Oh No..say it isn't so..varnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same car that you were having troubles getting up to temp? Where are you with that?

Eric, Yes, It will not get over 180* unless I let it idle for 15 minutes in 90* Texas sun.
I'm just driving it..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've managed to have my cake and eat it too over the last 20 years with Mobil 1. Clean engines with no discernible wear. I believe you've observed my numerous tear-down pics on this board as proof of that
smirk.gif
BTW, I've NEVER had an engine blow-up when maintained using my regiment. How does your track record stack-up?
wink.gif

With respect to RP, he said the latest version he used was SN. That doesn't mean he hadn't been using their highly revered "Synerlec" version up until that point.
Good for you! "Clap,CLAP, CLAP"
The real synthetic 0w30 AFE SL was pretty good in the Yaris - almost as good as Motul 8100 econergy - and im not a giant PAO fan.
As was the real syn HM 10w30. Too bad most M1 arent synthetic anymore, but at 5 bucks a qt at walmart in jugs what can one expect ;(

As an side, I've never seen consistent performance, UOA or love for RP here or anywhere. Maybe their race stuff is awesome just like LUCAS real synthetic racing oils are good and their junk is just that - money making garbage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've managed to have my cake and eat it too over the last 20 years with Mobil 1. Clean engines with no discernible wear. I believe you've observed my numerous tear-down pics on this board as proof of that
smirk.gif
BTW, I've NEVER had an engine blow-up when maintained using my regiment. How does your track record stack-up?
wink.gif

With respect to RP, he said the latest version he used was SN. That doesn't mean he hadn't been using their highly revered "Synerlec" version up until that point.
Good for you! "Clap,CLAP, CLAP"
The real synthetic 0w30 AFE SL was pretty good in the Yaris - almost as good as Motul 8100 econergy - and im not a giant PAO fan.
As was the real syn HM 10w30. Too bad most M1 arent synthetic anymore, but at 5 bucks a qt at walmart in jugs what can one expect ;(

As an side, I've never seen consistent performance, UOA or love for RP here or anywhere. Maybe their race stuff is awesome just like LUCAS real synthetic racing oils are good and their junk is just that - money making garbage.

Oh Boy!!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
ALL of my Honda's have had M1 EP 5-30 since birth and they have all had a slight varnish from looking inside the valve covers. Wouldn't even think twice about that.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
ALL of my Honda's have had M1 EP 5-30 since birth and they have all had a slight varnish from looking inside the valve covers. Wouldn't even think twice about that.

agreed, sweating the small stuff I think.

@220k, I think your Ford is doing quite well, no need to fret. I had the same engine in a Focus (zetec?), it had 300k and ran like a top. I'm sure it had even worse than what yours has, but I never gave it a second (or even first) thought!
I had bigger concerns like the dreaded throw-out bearing rattle.

Just make sure you do the timing belt on time, that's all these engines really need to keep going. Oh! and the housing for the t-stat is plastic if I remember correctly, some c-r-a-p-p-y ([NOT censored]) Ford design that always went bad.

ARCO,
I agree with you on mobil 1 being not synthetic oil in the purest sense...Because it is not. It is in the 5w30 flavors a GIII dino refined oil.. It is one of the better cleaning oils but in my experience produces a lot of wear like IRON in the SM versions. SN, IDK..never used it.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
ARCO,
I agree with you on mobil 1 being not synthetic oil in the purest sense...Because it is not. It is in the 5w30 flavors a GIII dino refined oil.. It is one of the better cleaning oils but in my experience produces a lot of wear like IRON in the SM versions. SN, IDK..never used it.

I think if there was any sort of legitimate wear issue, we'd know about it. Think about this: M1 5w-30 is the oil GM uses in ALL of their high performance engines. Do you not think that if there had been an issue with the product and wear control that GM would have noticed?

How about Honda, when they tested it during the development of HTO-06?

And there are numerous other examples.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wonder if the deposit in question is even varnish. The OP mentions it a)being black, and b) feeling like graphite.... neither of which describe any type of varnish buildup I've ever seen.

Agreed, sounds like the begnning of sludge to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back