Wix XP series

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Anyone tried the new "XP" filter?

Synthetic media with wire backing ...

Looks to be an upgrade in most of their popular offerings.

If you search for a specific filter (say a 51515 or 51348; popular ones) you can see they now have the "normal" filter and the "XP" filters. Once you select the XP, they mention the synthetic media and wire backing.

Probably their new line to compete with uprated stuff like P1, high end Bosch, M1, etc. And yes, it seems to be their equivalent to the Napa Plat's; why not? The XP filters are already listed on OR's site. And the Wix XP is about $1 less than the Platinum according to the sites.

Conceptually, just an upmarket offering, not unlike their "XE" fuel filters, which they don't much tout either ...

Ohhhhhhh .... another filter for Jim to play with!

Last edited:
I read that winxp series..

thought it was a computer post.

I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Is it the same as the napa platinum with different labeling?

I can't say for sure, but 'if' Wix/Napa Gold form follows, I'd say they are the same. Currently the Napa Platinums are on sale at local Napa's around here for ~$7.50.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
My big question is... do they use a combo valve? If so, I nix the Wix.

Very doubtful, so far the combo valve is limited to lowest tier like NapaPS and Napa Silver series. Though, based on the Motorcraft comparo they once may have tried a 'silicone' combo valve in the FL820S equivalent but based on later member follow up posts, that idea was quickly abandoned in favor of dome bypass. If same as the Napa Platinum it has dome end bypass.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
My big question is... do they use a combo valve? If so, I nix the Wix.

Very doubtful, so far the combo valve is limited to lowest tier like NapaPS and Napa Silver series. Though, based on the Motorcraft comparo they once may have tried a 'silicone' combo valve in the FL820S equivalent but based on later member follow up posts, that idea was quickly abandoned in favor of dome bypass. If same as the Napa Platinum it has dome end bypass.

I haven't seen one of those filters dissected yet. I'd be surprised too if they use a combo valve in their premium filter but I have seen a silicone combo valve from Wix... have a pic of one, though I don't recall exactly what Wix/Napa filter it came from.

I tried a XP on a N- 14 Cummins , 15000 miles , the UOA I had done looked better with , with the Fleetguard (Cummins) filters
than it did with the WIX.

I would put almost zero credibility in the Wix beta data anymore, which is a shame to say so.

They have been whitewashing their public data to the 2/20=6/20 specs for about a year now, regardless of which filter is listed. Slowly but surely they are converting all their data outwardly. It used to be that the 51515, 51516, and 51348 all had separate different beta data; now they are all the same. How ludicrous is that?

Whatever they have listed for the XP is probably a typo at this point, or it's just their attempt to placate onlookers with a fictitious number. I've seen a lot of typo's corrected over the years from Wix.

In short, it does not bother me in that the XP filters are only rated 50% at 20um; I presume it's just a mistake or some such silliness. What bothers me is that they are either are that careless in their data posting, or they think we're that dumb and not able to understand what it means.

I have emailed them about this topic, but as much as I contact them and don't get a response, I must be on the "ignore" list ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I have emailed them about this topic, but as much as I contact them and don't get a response, I must be on the "ignore" list ...

The WIX XP is on my "ignore to buy list" with a beta of B2=20 ... regardless if it's a typo at this point or not.
smile.gif

A manufacturer and seller of products shouldn't be sloppy with the technical data the consumer looks at to purchase their products.

So we have Purolator saying you can't use their filters for more than 3000 miles, and now this from Wix.

Those orange cans are looking better every day.
27.gif

Exactly how I feel. I've been waiting for a higher end 51515 from Wix but it sure looks like they could care less to promote it to us like RP, Amsoil and P1 did.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I found this XP cross reference for the MC FL-400s.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=fl400s

Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".

Can you explain this in terms that this ole cajun boy will understand?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I found this XP cross reference for the MC FL-400s.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=fl400s

Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".

Can you explain this in terms that this ole cajun boy will understand?
21.gif

B = Beta Ratio

(B-1)/B X 100 = Efficiency %

Beta Ratio --- Efficiency %
2 --- 50.00
5 --- 80.00
10 --- 90.00
15 --- 93.33
20 --- 95.00
25 --- 96.00
30 --- 96.67
40 --- 97.50
50 --- 98.00
75 --- 98.67
100 --- 99.00
125 --- 99.20
250 --- 99.60
500 --- 99.80
750 --- 99.87
1000 --- 99.90

Google "oil filter beta ratio" and you can read all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back