Valvoline MaxLife passes TÜV Nord test :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some about MaxLife and I want to share this article with you:

Valvoline MaxLife passes TÜV Nord test with flying colours

TÜV Nord's review of test data on MaxLife, the only motor oil to be specifically designed for use with older engines, concludes that the product delivers clear benefits

TÜV Nord, one of Europe's leading independent international approvals bodies, has fully endorsed Valvoline's claims about MaxLife, the first motor oil to be specifically designed for use with older engines.

Zwijndrecht, January 2003. Already used by millions of motorists across Europe and the US, MaxLife is claimed by Valvoline to address many of the typical symptoms shown by higher mileage (>100,000 km) engines. In particular, Valvoline claims that the product reduces oil leaks, reduces oxidation and deposits, improves seal condition and has superior wear performance. TÜV Nord's report examined Valvoline's test methodology and data in detail.

To test Valvoline's claim on oil consumption, TÜV Nord reviewed data taken from Valvoline's tests on two older cars from major European car manufacturers using MaxLife and a competitor's oil of the same grade. Each car was tested twice. On all tests, MaxLife reduced consumption, and in one case, improvement was as high as 69%.

On oxidation and deposit performance, TÜV Nord analysed Valvoline's data from an 80-hour test on a 1997 gasoline engine. TÜV Nord confirmed that the deposit data not only showed that MaxLife greatly exceeds the API SJ/CF, ACEA A3/B2 requirement, but that the WPD (Weighted Piston Deposit) rating is 1.45 points higher than the API SL limit and is 0.6 higher than the API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3 level.

Wear performance, too, was shown to be excellent when using MaxLife. After analysing data from a Sequence IV-A test - a 100 hour cyclical test performed on a 2.4 litre, 4 cylinder gasoline engine - TÜV concluded that "MaxLife ...shows an average wear of only 37.1 um - nearly 80.9 um less wear than the typical API SL oil or API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3 oil."

Another benefit of MaxLife's unique formulation is its ability to restore seal condition and improve operation. After validating Valvoline's test methodology, TÜV Nord analysed the resulting data from a low-temperature follow-ability test rig to establish the reality behind the claim. Without the additive, the average seal failure temperature is - 17° C. This falls to - 21° C by adding the special additive, which indicates that the seal conditioner additive in MaxLife can indeed improve dynamic seal performance.

About Valvoline Europe
Valvoline Europe, headquartered in The Netherlands, is a leading manufacturer and supplier of high performance automotive, commercial and industrial lubricants and aftercare products. Today, The Valvoline Family of Brands includes Valvoline (SynPower, MaxLife, DuraBlend, ProFleet, All Fleet, Turbo V) Eagle One and Tectyl. Established in 1866, Valvoline is a division of Ashland Inc. the product and service solution provider for highway construction, chemical and thermoplastic distribution, speciality chemicals, motor oil and car care products.

so it seems it is a good oil
smile.gif
Im gonna try it now. I have 190000 km driven engine and it is really noisy now...

here's the link to the article: http://www.valvolineeurope.com/img/corporate images/news/newsjan03.pdf

I've been told by a well informed person that Valvoline's R&D center is among the best out there believe it or not. I know Valvoline isn't exactly everyone's favorite brand due to their marketing, but their oils are supposedly very good.

For those of you who spent some time reading the Timken testing performed by Street Commodores, this is no surprise. Valvoline(nr 3) was almost as good as RP in this test. Would this indicate that this Timken testing may have some relevance to some of the conditions that can occure in an engine? I think so(also the 4ball test), but this is my personal meaning and I respect others do not agree on this.

Quote:

I've been told by a well informed person that Valvoline's R&D center is among the best out there believe it or not. I know Valvoline isn't exactly everyone's favorite brand due to their marketing, but their oils are supposedly very good.

fruit.gif

cheers2.gif

Im in the valvoline rocks boat
smile.gif
I prefer it, I love it, and have never had a bad UOA from any of them.

I have MaxLife running in my sister's Firebird Formula right now, pressure's higher than it was with whatever was in it when we bought it, so that's a plus. Main reason I used it was because it has a slight leak and also because the maintenance history on the car's unknown. Really impressed with it thus far!

offtopic.gif

I bought my first Valvoline Motor oil since 1999 yesterday.
I needed half a qt of top off 5W20. Kragen has it on sale 1.79 a qt after coupon. I may just pick up 7 qts for my next OCI at that price.

After YEARS of using Havoline only, and swearing by it, I one time decided to use the Maxlife - I absolutely LOVE this oil.

In fact, I will perform 2 UOA's on an '04 Tacoma running GTX for now, depending on how it does, it may see Maxlife in it's future.

Quote:

Question for all who use Maxlife: Do you use the dino, blend, or synthetic?

I have both. Er ah, all three, but really the dino (pre Feb 07 labeling) always had the PAO, so really was blend all along. Some very old threads on this site (maybe 2002ish) show that initially it has ester, but was changed to PAO later.

I think regular (blend) Maxlife will suffice for most folks.

Oh yeah, we must realize the Nord test was likely done on European Maxlife and I suspect it is formulated differently than our Maxlife. Look at the Valvoline European website. Last I looked they had different grades, like I think there was a 15w40.

I am almost on my first OCI with Maxlife in the wifes Toyota and at 104,000 miles the engine mechanical noise is way down, idle smooth as ever and power and fuel MPG as good as Valvoline AC. 1/8th qt consumption so far in 4000 miles. This Maxlife oil is fantastic. Stocked up 5 jugs from ChinaMart. I'm sold now. All my vehicles get Maxlife at 100k

When I was at Walmart last night picking up some Castrol Syntec Blend (about $16 per jug) I noticed that the Castrol GTX was under $12 for a jug and the Valvoline Maxlife Blend was also about $12.

I've been using Maxlife synthetic in my 94' Miata. Fantastic.
I have not tried "regular" Maxlife yet and from what I read on this site... it's just as good as the Synthetic (for most cases)

Plus--- It's getting fairly difficult to find the synthetic!!!

I would love to see the Synthetic Maxlife get more respect and coverage. I'm sold on it.

Quote:
Another benefit of MaxLife's unique formulation is its ability to restore seal condition and improve operation. After validating Valvoline's test methodology, TÜV Nord analysed the resulting data from a low-temperature follow-ability test rig to establish the reality behind the claim. Without the additive, the average seal failure temperature is - 17° C. This falls to - 21° C by adding the special additive, which indicates that the seal conditioner additive in MaxLife can indeed improve dynamic seal performance.

Old thread. Relevant to seal conditioner questions that come up often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back