Anyone try the Royal Purple fuel injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DragRace
I've always had good luck with Techron and Redline,so I dont see myself spending the coin they want either.

+1

I always buy techron or goumot all in one on sale and its always been great bang for buck.

Royal purple stuff is just over priced.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Originally Posted By: DragRace
I've always had good luck with Techron and Redline,so I dont see myself spending the coin they want either.

+1

I always buy techron or goumot all in one on sale and its always been great bang for buck.

Royal purple stuff is just over priced.

X3. Nothing Royal Purple makes excites me.

So PEA is the 5-15% chemical component on the MSDS?

Don't they claim that this stuff went through extensive research and testing to make it especially effective in DI engines. Is this mostly marketing hype, or is this stuff really different?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Purple dye is more expensive than Red, I guess?

Good one!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Agree. You can get Techron Concentrate for $8 on sale (or even BOGO) with nearly double the PEA.

We'll have to keep an eye on both sides of the border at retail outlets. Summit Racing can sometimes be pretty expensive, other times pretty cheap. The price they're advertising for the RP stuff is rather high, but not unacceptable by Canadian standards. Regane is usually $14 (but frequently cut in half on regular specials). I get the Red Line stuff for roughly $10, but that's at a discount.

Guys, you have to remember that the term "polyether amine" is just a type of substitutive nomenclature that is used to identify a number of possible different chemical compounds.

There are many different compounds for "polyether amine," most of which are proprietary. This is why the CAS (Chemical Abstracts Registry) Number is always listed as "proprietary" on MSDS's for PEA-containing products. If the manufacturer were to provide a CAS number for their specific PEA, they would be divulging the compound and be giving away proprietary information.

While it is true that Chevron was first to apply PEA technology to the chemistry of fuel additives, a number of additional manufacturers have undertaken the process of reformulating and improving this technology since Chevron's patent expired some years ago.

All these different PEA compounds are also formulated in different concentrations. So simply looking at the percent composition of PEA on a MSDS is not going to be fully indicative of a product's ability to clean.

Take this example. Let's say Product A contains 30% of a diluted form of a PEA compound. Product B contains 10% of a highly concentrated PEA compound. Which will clean better? You might assume Product A, because it contains a higher percent of PEA. But you could easily be wrong.

There have been many advances in the various PEA formulae since Chevron originally introduced Techron 20+ years ago. Not least of which is the concentration of various PEA compounds being used today.

Just wanted to point this out, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back