Deka batteries not impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than four and half years and had to replace the Oreillys Superstart 48-72 in the Escape. Held a good charge but had a bad cell. Although I'm at odds if recent events had anything to do with it's demise. Jump started a neighbors truck about 2 weeks ago but was fine after that. A week later one of the doors was left open and almost discharged the battery completely which I thought the Escape would shut power off over a period of time to prevent this, could be thinking of the old 00 F150. I'd have a hard time buying this either due to the fact that the Festiva's battery was drained due 1.5 years ago to a short in the radio and it's been fine since. With the extra size I was expecting at least 5 years but wasn't going to replace it till the 6th year.

There's a 2 other things I wonder about. A few months back the HF 800/400 inverter began virtually unusable. Had it for a couple years now with no issues but it started beeping constantly indicating short to me but I couldn't find it and now with the new battery it doesn't. Also the radio liked to turn itself up which may not be related but both happened around the same time, time will tell on this one. Perhaps the inverter was detecting the dead cell?

At least it didn't corride the terminals like the Excide's. Not happy with not having a choice but Sams only had the 96R (Energizer /Johnson Controls) for the 40 and 48R. At least is was $25 less than OReilly wanted.

What is the nameplate warranty?

I've found that if the some light or other loads are used with the car off, battery life deminishes.

You've put funky loads and fully drained the battery. All that stuff does indeed contribute.

Cheaper batteries have a 3yr warranty for a reason.

Was this a regular flooded cell or AGM? I think that 4 yrs is not bad for the newer vehicles with flooded cell batteries. If that has the V6, I think they generate a bit of heat. Newer cars seem to have alot more accessories to drain the battery. I thought the escape had a 15 minute shut off for lights left on as well.

Starting batteries are not designed to be cycled, as you are obviously doing with your inverter. What are you powering with it, and for how long, and are you doing it with the engine off?

If a laptop, post the volts and amps output listed on the power brick.

4.5 year life is impressive for an abused and chronically undercharged starting battery and one that sees the summer temperatures you have been seeing.

You'd be better off with a Marine battery which is slightly more tolerant of deeper discharges, or an Oversized deep cycle battery if you are going to drain the battery regularly.

Whenever a vehicle needs a jumpstart, you cannot expect the alternator to recharge it fully, quickly. Hundreds of miles of driving would have it in the ~85% range. Another couple hundred to the mid 90's.

Leaving a battery under 80% for any length of time is batterycide The Longer and the lower it sits, the more capacity loss. A regular full recharge is the best thing you can do to extend battery longevity and the alternator is probably the worst device for this duty on a deeply cycled battery.

Use a grid powered charger, or start saving for a replacement which you will also be unimpressed with.

Also, overtightening battery lugs and stressing the case is the main cause of terminal corrosion.

Frankly, Deka just moved up a notch in my opinion.

What is your expectation for battery life? For me, I consider batteries to be a routine maintenance item - the same way that brakes, air filters and belts are. I expect batteries to last three to four years.

In fact, earlier today, I had the battery tested in my mother's 2010 Altima V6 and it failed. The battery is exactly 3 years old this month.

I think you got a pretty good life out of that battery.

Some of what I'm reading here is *definitely* not East Penn/Deka's fault... nor is it the fault of the battery... but the battery is taking the blame.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What is the nameplate warranty?

I've found that if the some light or other loads are used with the car off, battery life deminishes.

You've put funky loads and fully drained the battery. All that stuff does indeed contribute.

Cheaper batteries have a 3yr warranty for a reason.

2 year 72 month prorated warranty the cheaper Johnson Control is 3 years and not sure on the prorated. Contribute maybe but other batteries have recovered from deeper discharges.

I find it amusing that the battery was "abused and chronically undercharged starting battery". Not sure where you picked up from. The recent door left open was the only time in the life of this battery that such a incident occured. Over that time maybe have did 5 jumpstarts and only one where the engine size was physically bigger.

Over all the batteries I've had over the years here in the Midwest anywhere from 6 to 8 years is the norm. I do a 5 year just to be safe. Yes we may of had a hot summer but that was only one compared to others say Nevada where the heat is constant.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Some of what I'm reading here is *definitely* not East Penn/Deka's fault... nor is it the fault of the battery... but the battery is taking the blame.

Explain in your infinite wisdom... such usless post as these cause a typical decline in forums.

Maybe go to Wal-Mart (everstart) like my g/f did, to my dismay, and three years later replaced it... Sure she saved up front... but now has paid more by a long shot.
My Deka is in it's 10th year.

I had a Panasonic last about the same time (Stock 4Runner batt)... thing is, the Deka still starts pretty [censored] strong on these cold mornings after sitting for two weeks. NO battery tenders of any sort. Not even solar.

There is a Deka made, no label, out there with an 8 YEAR FULL WARRANTY (fleet). Prorated after.
Pretty F-ing good I'd say to put such a warranty on your product.

If I ever get to see the van it's in, I will be sire to take a picture of it. Heavy as a _____________________________ too.

No company produces products with a 0% defect rate, especially something like a battery.

I wouldn't swear off the entire brand/technology just because you had a single "bad" experience.

Originally Posted By: dparm
No company produces products with a 0% defect rate, especially something like a battery.

I wouldn't swear off the entire brand/technology just because you had a single "bad" experience.

Agreed. I've had good luck with Deka myself...

Deka seems to be the brand of choice in "emergency services" vehicles around here.
I wonder why
confused.gif
smile.gif

Every time I see one, I think of Dale Earnhardt... Intimidator line of Dekas

I'm not saying Deka is a bad brand but I'm not impressed that this one died so soon, yes could of been a dud. Deka's are the built like tanks compared to the other 2. Never said I swore them but due the fact they're much higher probably won't buy another unless the prices drop. I've had only one Deka compared to many Johnson Controls/Exides, which are cheaper and last longer on average. Just doesn't make sense wallet wise.

First off, anything over four years is exceptional for any battery.

Second, no car shuts the lights off if you leave the door open, only when the car is closed up will it enter sleep mode.

Third, If you are running the inverter with the engine off you are cycling a starting battery, and this proves the battery showed exemplary service in the face of adversity.

You expect too much of a battery you abuse, and then abuse other posters when your mistakes are commented on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Explain in your infinite wisdom... such usless post as these cause a typical decline in forums.

Only one of these quotes is a useless jab at another poster, and it is not mrsilv04's.

First.. My old 2000 F150 did turn any electrical device after a period of time. Stereo lights etc. Was annoying at times. Check your facts.

Second.. Never ran the inverter with the engine off. Never stated this.

Third.. that's laughable I have every right to respond to information pulled from now where. If someone has a question ask it just don't make it up.

Fourth.. To all you that think I abused this battery you live a sheltered life. I drove security trucks for a living. Those things got started anywhere from 50 to 100 times a day maybe more. Jumpstarts were common, high draw from light bars. Even those lasted at least 2 years, typically Interstate's. Now that's abuse... not your typical house wife doing errands.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What is your expectation for battery life? For me, I consider batteries to be a routine maintenance item - the same way that brakes, air filters and belts are. I expect batteries to last three to four years.

In fact, earlier today, I had the battery tested in my mother's 2010 Altima V6 and it failed. The battery is exactly 3 years old this month.

I think you got a pretty good life out of that battery.

Come summer, the Everstart-MAXX in my Caddy will be in its seventh year. This past fall, it showed about 90% of its original capacity on a load test.

Originally Posted By: OilFool
Deka seems to be the brand of choice in "emergency services" vehicles around here.
I wonder why
confused.gif
smile.gif

Low bidder!

Originally Posted By: asand1
First off, anything over four years is exceptional for any battery.

Horse manure! Four years for a battery is absolutely unacceptable!

Quote:
Second, no car shuts the lights off if you leave the door open, only when the car is closed up will it enter sleep mode.

Horse manure! My Magnum did. My mother's Sable does, my stepfather's Concorde does. Even the International Dura-Star truck I drove did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back