oil consumption...normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the old M1 5w30 out for some AMSoil 5w40 european formula in my wife's maxima with the vq35de engine. I have to say upon start up; the engine was much quieter. In addition, the engine seems noticably smoother. I chaulk this this up to stepping up from 30wt to 40wt oil rather than from M1 to amsoil. Now, for the consumption part of the equation. First, let me say I'm leaning towards thinking it is normal. However, I would like your opinions. We had to make a long drive to my inlaws for christmas. I drove the first hour in traffic going 60-75ish. The next four hours was consumed with driving 90-95 with an occasional slow down to 80-85. I stopped for gas and bathroom break. I checked the oil. There was virtually no comsumption at this point. We started back out and proceeded at 90-95 again. In about an hour; the interstate turned into a parking lot due to construction. Once we got going again; 90-95 was maintained for two more hours with the occasional slow down. I stopped for gas again; this time the car was almost a quart low. What do you guys think about the oil and its consumption?

Whats the speed limit like over there? 90-95 for hours on end? Where are the cops?

I'd say it's the high speed driving that's to blame. At those speeds, the RPMs are quite high.

Constant high RPM running can cause oil consumption, could be as simple as the higher amount of oil vapor is being sucked in the PCV system...

The OP didn't ask about speed limits, but if you must know...

Anyone think the "man" is going to stop you for 95 in a 85???

Texas-Speed-Limit_sham.jpg

I have a Murano with the same engine. Mine uses about a quart every 1000 miles, which Nissan claims is "normal." It could be a clogged PCV, but in my case (I think this is my problem) it could be the piston rings letting the oil through into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Constant high RPM running can cause oil consumption, could be as simple as the higher amount of oil vapor is being sucked in the PCV system...

We have 80 here and 83 WILL GET YOU A TICKET!

75mph zones you are good till 79.

65mph around 70-71 is pretty good.

55 or below around 3-4 mph. School zone or residential 2 mph over will get you a "reminder".

Back to the OP. If the vehicle does not see continuous high rpm use age you could get a little bump in usage when you do.

ALL engines use oil. They have too. Some more than others.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Artem
Whats the speed limit like over there? 90-95 for hours on end? Where are the cops?

I'd say it's the high speed driving that's to blame. At those speeds, the RPMs are quite high.

I don't know about a current Maxima with the 3.5, but my 2005 Pathfinder with the 4.0 is only revving right at 2600 rpm at 90. While I don't drive that fast myself, I do not consider that to be high rpm. The Pathfinder uses an amount of oil that is not measurable on the dipstick in my usual one year 9000 mile OCI. Something is wrong with a Nissan engine that burns a quart of oil in 1000 miles or less.

Last edited:
How many miles does this engine have and does it smoke at any time? Also do you have any oil leaks and when was the crank case vent system last checked?
If you use more than about 75% of max power for long periods then the oil consumption will go up in a big way. In RPM terms for a typical petrol engine it would be around 1K less than red line or about 500 less for a diesel. Some owners handbooks do quote a max continuous RPM.
If you are cruising fairly well below the max continous revs, then your oil consumption is rather high, although it is best to check the final oil level when the engine is cold and take a look for leaks etc.
Assuming this is not a crank vent issue, it might be time to think about trying an HM oil, particulary if you have leaks as changing to a full synthetic from a dino can increase the oil consumption if your seals are bad and varnish or even sludge is preventing oil leaks. The full synthetic won't harm seals but you might have left the change too late, so an HM oil is the next best move.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bandz7
I have a Murano with the same engine. Mine uses about a quart every 1000 miles, which Nissan claims is "normal." It could be a clogged PCV, but in my case (I think this is my problem) it could be the piston rings letting the oil through into the combustion chamber.

It's not normal, but some figure probably in the warranty terms so they don't have to rebuild the engine for you. Many car companies have high oil consumption documented as normal so they can offer extended warranties. A few non US or EU based companies won't even cover an emissions test failure, because actual main block failures within an extended warranty are very rare if you service the engine correctly, BUT when an engine is badly worn it drinks oil and starts to smoke. An engine has to go bang in a big way for the average dealer to accept a warranty claim, although it is often the fault of the car company who tell the dealer not to agree to a claim as they have to pay for it.
If you run an engine in correctly with factory fill oil and then maintain it correctly with good quality filters and oil changed at a sensible OCI, it will have a low oil consumption for a very long time, assuming it is not used in a big city prone to traffic jams with too much time at idle or used for a lot of off roading, the two big oil killers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Some engines need a few HOURS not minutes to drain down so your dipstick measurement may not be accurate.

Not in any passenger car engine I've seen...

Think about it, if it takes HOURS for the oil to run back to the pan it would soon be pumped dry...

my last f150 with a 5.4l would use about 1 quart every 5k miles except on road trips. when i would drive from indiana to south florida i would run it 80-90mph depending on the area and it would consume 1 quart going there, and 1 quart back so about 2 quarts in 2500 miles or so. this was on pyb. im betting it is just consuming it because of the sustained higher than normal rpm. i wouldn't worry at all. also as mentioned make sure you allowed the oil adequate time to drain back to the pan.

It's certainly unusual to go from synthetic M1 30 weight to Amsoil European 40 weight, a far thicker oil, and then lose a quart in a particular stretch of 1000 miles albeit that last stretch.

Take the OPs information as accurate. Then the implication is that something in the engine changed at some point in that last 1000 miles or just prior to it.

Maybe the oil sheared and / or got so hot and thin due to engine hotspots that it got past the piston rings, both caused by high engine temps due to high speed.

Or something in the engine itself was impacted by the sustained high speeds and only became an issue in the last 1000 miles.

Some more info on the vehicle ie age, history, usual driving pattern, prior oil consumption might help with the theorizing / conjecture

Texas-Speed-Limit_sham.jpg

That sign is so fake! The 5 is crooked because it was drawn by a 5 year old using the paint program.

Thanks of all the replies; there are some interesting ones. The insn't turning high rpm's at that speed barely over 3k with a 6500 rpm limit. LOL, I expected some comments about the speed. With a Valentine one; the speed is a suggestion.
smile.gif
It has yet to fail me and even if I do get caught; Valentine One will pay for the ticket.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

We have 80 here and 83 WILL GET YOU A TICKET!

75mph zones you are good till 79.

65mph around 70-71 is pretty good.

55 or below around 3-4 mph. School zone or residential 2 mph over will get you a "reminder".

Back to the OP. If the vehicle does not see continuous high rpm use age you could get a little bump in usage when you do.

ALL engines use oil. They have too. Some more than others.

Bill

I'm sorry for you. Prety much in Texas; you are good to go 10 over the posted limit and 9 to be safe. Obviously there is the occasional caveat. True about all engines using oil. My wife typically drives about 80 for 15 miles to work and 15 miles back every day with some stop and go before and after the highway commute. The car rarely sees extended 3k rpm sustained. So that could be it.

Originally Posted By: Artem

75mph in Texas, 70mph in Arkansas. I passed some cops that were in the median. RPM's aren't really that high. Barely over 3k rpm. I was thinking the 3200 rpm sustainment for prolonge periods though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back