oil consumption...normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bandz7
I have a Murano with the same engine. Mine uses about a quart every 1000 miles, which Nissan claims is "normal." It could be a clogged PCV, but in my case (I think this is my problem) it could be the piston rings letting the oil through into the combustion chamber.

Same engine. Our Max is an 04. You might be on to something.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Originally Posted By: Artem
Whats the speed limit like over there? 90-95 for hours on end? Where are the cops?

I'd say it's the high speed driving that's to blame. At those speeds, the RPMs are quite high.

I don't know about a current Maxima with the 3.5, but my 2005 Pathfinder with the 4.0 is only revving right at 2600 rpm at 90. While I don't drive that fast myself, I do not consider that to be high rpm. The Pathfinder uses an amount of oil that is not measurable on the dipstick in my usual one year 9000 mile OCI. Something is wrong with a Nissan engine that burns a quart of oil in 1000 miles or less.

It's the same engine; our Max is an 04.

Last edited:
"The next four hours was consumed with driving 90-95 with an occasional slow down to 80-85."

Not going to tell you how to drive but if you blow a tire at those speeds it's pretty much all over. With my family in the car the risk wouldn't be worth what little time you're going to save.

Originally Posted By: jegs
"The next four hours was consumed with driving 90-95 with an occasional slow down to 80-85."

Not going to tell you how to drive but if you blow a tire at those speeds it's pretty much all over. With my family in the car the risk wouldn't be worth what little time you're going to save.

90-95 isn't fast. It just seems fast to most people whom drive 65-70. In actuality, there is little difference in effect in a car when a tire blows at 90 vs 70.

Originally Posted By: 04SVT
Originally Posted By: Artem
Whats the speed limit like over there? 90-95 for hours on end? Where are the cops?

I'd say it's the high speed driving that's to blame. At those speeds, the RPMs are quite high.

75mph in Texas, 70mph in Arkansas. I passed some cops that were in the median. RPM's aren't really that high. Barely over 3k rpm. I was thinking the 3200 rpm sustainment for prolonge periods though.

In my Pathfinder, 3000 rpm would be 105 mph. Still not a very high rpm for either my 4.0 Nissan, or the 3.5 in question. My Pathfiner is revving exactly 2000 at 70.

I just checked it this afternoon and it's used another half a quart in the last 300 miles. That is excessive. I am going to check the pcv after christmas. The car has never smoked before when I've driven behind it.

Originally Posted By: jegs

90-95 isn't fast. It just seems fast to most people whom drive 65-70. In actuality, there is little difference in effect in a car when a tire blows at 90 vs 70.

100 mph isn't fast in my mustang but it sure feels fast in my truck. If the vehicle is built for it with suspension and brakes to match then omits a non issue. When you push a vehicle beyond its capabilities is when there should be cause for alarm.
And my truck spins at 1750 at 65 mph,at 3000 rpms I am sure it would be vaporizing that 5w-20 real quick.
As far as the op and using euro oil I would think that's what the oil is made for,unless euro cars are geared to spin low at high speeds, thus being a non issue. Maybe 3000 rpms for sustained intervals is just too much for the oil.

Yes, Clevy. I agree with you. On the other hand, after I added a quart of oil; I was on a small interstate going through some small towns. I kept the cruise set at 75 and I had to slow down at each town I came to. In these conditions I've used an additional .5 quart. This is more troublesome to me.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thanks of all the replies; there are some interesting ones. The insn't turning high rpm's at that speed barely over 3k with a 6500 rpm limit. LOL, I expected some comments about the speed. With a Valentine one; the speed is a suggestion.
smile.gif
It has yet to fail me and even if I do get caught; Valentine One will pay for the ticket.

A ridiculous assertion, wait till you meet a properly trained LEO who knows how to use his LIDAR or even an old instant on Ka band unit. Plus V1 doesn't even offer the guarantee you imagine!

Then all your Valentine will tell you is when to pull over and get out your wallet and registration, etc.

I hear this all the time. Just keep going that fast. There are so many ways to defeat ANY detector that you just don't know about. And most LEO's are way too busy with the other folks to even care.

Last edited:
The speed limit in some of west Texas is at least 80 and I'm pretty sure it is 85 outside of Dallas headed toward El Paso. It has been a while since I was out that way but the speeds we are talking about here are not uncommon out there.

Turnpikes in OK are 75 and IIRC New Mexico is 75 too.

Really does not matter to the question, in my opinion the kind of oil consumption we are talking about is abnormal. In addition I don't think a 20 mph difference in sustained speed should have more than a negligible impact on oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back