Generic Synthetic Tests-Anyone test store brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I was a long time user of Mobil 1 syn, but switched to O'Reily's store syn or even Walmart Syntech. Anyone else run these oils or know of oil analysis data on these?
Thanks!

I bought a Boat Load of Strauss Auto Parts store brand full synthetic about 2 years ago on clearance.

After I bought 1 case, I sent a VOA sample in to see the results before I bought anymore of the oil.

The results came back stating that the Strauss Auto Parts oil as European Castrol.

I proceeded to back up the truck and load up on all the synthetic oil they had on clearance at 2 stores.

IMO....it's worth getting the VOA on the oil....but don't put the name of the oil on the forms. See what the lab results are on the oil rather than telling the lab the brand of oil.

IMO...You'll be surprised at the positive results on some store brand synthetic oils.

Last edited:
ST Syn gave the same results for both our vehicles as did Amsoil. (or Valvoline dino for that matter)

Same as M1 in the Wrangler.

Well, within 1 or 2 ppm anyway.

One issue is that a store brand can switch manufacturers without notice or change on the label. Even if you buy two jugs that are next to each other on the shelf, there is no guarantee that you are getting the same oil.

Bottle at oreilleys didnt meet latest specs. Price suspiciously under dino price on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back