1998-01 Dodge Ramcharger (Mexican market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was one non-US production vehicle that I would import if I could, it would probably be a '98/'99-'01 Dodge Ramcharger. I'd even put it ahead of the crew cab Rangers on my "never going to happen" wish list. I know these were sold in Mexico and maybe a handful of other markets.

4791646835_4c1aeb79fe.jpg

This one apparently found its way into Canada and is for sale...
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/used-car/vehicle/2001-Dodge-Ramcharger/id/3354451/contact/1

Being post-OBDII, I imagine these are next to impossible to import. I have seen one in AL before (the only one I have seen in person), but it had a license plate from Mexico.

Is there any possibility of being able to import one to a state with no vehicle inspections? Maybe bringing one over without a drivetrain, then assembling as a "kit car"? I remember when I lived in NC, someone had a Land Cruiser pickup that definitely was not sold here originally. I saw it a couple times and it had an NC tag, but it may have been old enough to be a grey market import.

I don't know. Your best bet might be to head to forums like what you've already mentioned for Land Cruisers or Range Rover D90s that people have managed to get into the US. Maybe the JDM import crowd too.

Ultimately though, I imagine it would be too much trouble to get one in.

Just bring a shell in from the A-pillar back. Use a US frame, drivetrain and VIN. Call it a custom body kit. I assume the wheelbase is something standard. Truck cabs lift off frames fairly easily, so should a cab+rear.

Apparently you can quasi-legally bring in a hilux diesel "front clip" that includes engine, transmission and all accessories to turn your toyota into a diesel. This shouldn't be any different.

Didn't pass crash standards, maybe? Also, big 2-door SUV's didn't sell well...by the time those were built, the market had pretty much dried up. (Witness Ford dropping the Bronco and GM the 2-door Tahoe.)

Love some of the Mexican market Chrysler stuff.. They also sold the Stratus R/T with the 2.4T and manual trans... Another awesome car we never got here.

I'd rock that for sure. I have always loved the old Ramchargers as well.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

4791646835_4c1aeb79fe.jpg

This one apparently found its way into Canada and is for sale...
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/used-car/vehicle/2001-Dodge-Ramcharger/id/3354451/contact/1

Being post-OBDII, I imagine these are next to impossible to import. I have seen one in AL before (the only one I have seen in person), but it had a license plate from Mexico.

An old friend of mine had a GMC Tracker from Canada registered here. He emigrated from Sweden to Canada to the United States. He managed to get it registered and inspected here.
21.gif

Maybe it could be done.
21.gif

I do see odd cars here from time to time. Neighbor had a black Peugeot 206 but it still had Frontas Tamaulipas Mexican plates. Lots of Ford Lobos, small "Chevies" (they are badged "Chevy" not Chevrolet) and odd Nissan models with Mexican plates.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Just bring a shell in from the A-pillar back. Use a US frame, drivetrain and VIN. Call it a custom body kit. I assume the wheelbase is something standard. Truck cabs lift off frames fairly easily, so should a cab+rear.

As far as title/reg/etc. that sounds like the cleanest way to go, it's just major surgery for the vehicle and would require buying two vehicles. It does look like it's built on a regular cab/short bed Ram chassis though.

Sucks you can apparently buy one in Canada, can definitely buy one in Mexico, but forget about it in the US unless you want to have it registered in Mexico or chop up two trucks to make one. The nanny laws in this country are ridiculous.

One day though if I have stupid money to burn on trying to import an old Dodge SUV from Mexico, I'm getting one of these. I love the way they look.

What I'd like are the headlamp assemblies. If those are stock, they look like legitimate clear-lens housings, probably with an H4 bulb, vs. the cheapo fluted lens HB5 housings the domestic trucks got.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What I'd like are the headlamp assemblies. If those are stock, they look like legitimate clear-lens housings, probably with an H4 bulb, vs. the cheapo fluted lens HB5 housings the domestic trucks got.

A lot of non-US market vehicles based on US models do get different headlights. One piece "Brazilian" lights are highly sought after for Rangers and IIRC use a different bulb than US versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back