BG Fuel Induction System Cleaner OK in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a can of BG 44k and a can of BG Fuel Induction System Cleaner. I know I can just dump the 44k in the tank but, the FISC says "add one can to the BG Fuel Induction System Cleaning Apparatus". I figured this was to be fed directly into the fuel rail. I searched for such "apparatuses" which most were $200+ that I don't need to spend. Could I just put the FISC in the tank? Could I run it "straight" or should I dilute it with gas? It contains Toluene, Solvent Naphtha, Xylene and Aliphatic Naphtha. Which should I use first? Thanks!

[ January 06, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: tundra30 ]

Use the 44K last. BG taught me that the other cleaner is too strong for adding to the fuel tank. That it could damage the pump or the pick up filter screen.

You can make your own delivery system for the other cleaner if you wish to use it as an engine decarbon chemical. BG uses the same cleaner for adding directly to the injector rail or for decarboning.

Find a vacuum line that you can disconnect that will distribute the cleaner evenly to all cylinders. Perhaps you will need to find more than one and change from one vacuum tap to another during the process. Find another vacuum line that you can extend a couple of feet and drop it into an open container of the other cleaner. You will need to meter the cleaner otherwise it will suck up so fast that the engine will stall. I use a pair of vise grip pliers clamped to the vacuum line and use the adjusting screw as a metering screw. A finer threaded screw would be better, perhaps a small C clamp.

Start the engine and bring the engine speed up a bit (roughly 1200 rpm to 2000 rpm) and them begin feeding the cleaner in. If you are entering it into two different ports, stop part way and change over to the other port.

I don't know how much of this is marketing BS, but BG claims that the other cleaner cracks open the carbon deposits, preparing the way for the 44K to finish the job as it cleans the injectors.

I have done the same process with Berryman B12 in the pourable bottle and it seems to work about the same. I suspect that any reasonably good injector cleaner would also work as well.

To really complete the job, you should also clean the throttle body and possibly the idle air control valve. I like to use a spray throttle body cleaner and an old soft toothbrush to clean the throttle body. A soft toothbrush can be gentle enough to not harm the teflon coating and still provide enough scrubbing ability to clean it up quickly. Clean the bore and both sides of the throttle plate. Pay special attention to the black carbon ring that builds up just inside the closed throttle plate.

Every engine would greatly benefit from doing this at least every 30,000 miles. I do my own much more often, more like every 10,000 miles.

Thanks for the reply Big Jim!

I am glad to know not to put the Induction Cleaner in the fuel tank!
I have done the vacuum delivery method with Seafoam on my Chevy PU and my wife’s XR7, so it should not be a problem on my Tundra. I am glad I can do something with the cleaner and not let it go to waste.
I have cleaned the throttle body on the TOY about 20k back so I should be about due for another. I plan on doing all this on the tank just before my oil change is due, just to be on the safe side!
Thanks again for your help!

If the induction cleaner is the stuff i remember using it is designed so that it is pressurized and fed directly into fuel rail with the fuel pump diabled. the engine runs completly on the induction cleaner.
I certainly wouldn't put it into the gas and it's benefits may not be utilized without the special tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back