what oil do oil change shops/chains use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wondering what do chain places like Goodyear, Midas, Meineke and other chain places and so on use for their motor oil? I know Firestone uses Kendall syn blend just dont know what others use.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Jiffy Lube uses Pennzoil products. PYB,PP and Ultra.
They have a dino, a semi, and a full syn. The dino is PP. Not sure about the other 2 but they are Pennzoil. I know the manager at one of the JL's will ask next time I see him.

Many of the indy shops around here that have bulk tanks use Citgo. The shop I frequent doesn't have a bulk tank and they use Wolf's Head out of bottles. For some reason, Wolf's Head is becoming increasingly more stocked in my rural location.

Whoever cuts them a deal. As mentioned, Goodyear is presently using Valvoline. Prior to that (at least in my area) they were using Exxon Superflo. NTB is now Valvoline (they were Pennzoil for a while.) Some don't even bother to state what they use.

I work for Jiffy Lube (29 Walmart TLE stores in St. Louis converted to Jiffy Lubes about 3 months ago) so I can confirm that (at least in the midwest) JL uses Pennzoil products. My store has Pennz YB, High Mileage, Semi Syn (gold), PP, and PU, all pennzoil products. I know the valvoline instant oil change shop in my town uses all valvoline products. Theres also an Oil Time about 2 mins from my house that uses valvoline and pennzoil products. I dont know about Dobbs, Tire Plaza, etc though.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When I worked at a goodyear they used whoever would deliver at the lowest price. We only had 2 weights sae30 and 15w40. The 30 was what the coupon got you

Not even 10W30? Just 30?

Originally Posted By: Lillikai
I work for Jiffy Lube (29 Walmart TLE stores in St. Louis converted to Jiffy Lubes about 3 months ago) so I can confirm that (at least in the midwest) JL uses Pennzoil products. My store has Pennz YB, High Mileage, Semi Syn (gold), PP, and PU, all pennzoil products. I know the valvoline instant oil change shop in my town uses all valvoline products. Theres also an Oil Time about 2 mins from my house that uses valvoline and pennzoil products. I dont know about Dobbs, Tire Plaza, etc though.

I would have been surprised if Valvoline Instant Oil Change did not use Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Lillikai

JL is owned by Pennzoil, so they use their oil exclusively even though the stores are franchised.

When I worked at a JL about 6 years ago, we had what was assumed to be regular Pennzoil in the bulk tanks for 5W30 and 10W30. At the time 5W20 was in barrels, though it may be in tanks by now. Semi-syn and PP were in boxes (think Franzia wine, but bigger), and we had a fair amount of stuff in 1 quart bottles, mostly more obscure weights for diesels and such.

Not sure what the local chains use, but all the independents I know of use Pronto products unless you request different or bring your own.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
So I was wondering what do chain places like Goodyear, Midas, Meineke and other chain places and so on use for their motor oil? I know Firestone uses Kendall syn blend just dont know what others use.

Those of us who'll never set foot in one of those places don't care...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Chris142
When I worked at a goodyear they used whoever would deliver at the lowest price. We only had 2 weights sae30 and 15w40. The 30 was what the coupon got you

Not even 10W30? Just 30?
Nope. This was in the 90's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back