76 claims to be 30% above Top Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at a northern CA 76 station, and they had a sign saying their cleaning additive amount was 3 times more than EPA required, and 30% more than Top Tier.

I believe it is the first quantified claim by a gas company against the Top Tier standard.

Saw that too

Seem to be the only brand that is marketing using top tier

Nice to understand that top tier is 2.5 times EPA minimum

Hadn't seen that before either

Well we know or can find out what the EPA requires, maybe. But what about Top Tier? Who defines "Top Tier". Different areas of the country?

I do not believe they are all using the same additive. Certainly Chevron talks about Techron being in their gas. I suppose they could have cleaners in addition to Techron.

And what does EPA specify: a quantity, like 1/4 OZ per gallon? How about if some cleaners are better and/or more concentrated?

Not knocking their gas, but its marketing hype. Like "up to 90% off sale". As long as nothing is 95% off, their sign is valid. Most could be 5% off.

(Note the 1/4 OZ is an example, I have no idea what it really is).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Costco gas.

Not everywhere do Costco put a higher level of detergent

But yes a good choice because of turnover, weekly checks and their temp adjusting dispensing pumps and of course price

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
I was just at a northern CA 76 station, and they had a sign saying their cleaning additive amount was 3 times more than EPA required, and 30% more than Top Tier.

The Phillips 66 gas chain around here recently started an aggressive advertising campaign that states the same thing. Signs on their pumps say their gas has 30% more additives than Top Tier gas. The signs also say that "Top Tier" is a registered trademark of GM, something that I didn't know. I guess the campaign is paying off, as I've been buying their gas and their gas lately and is also some of the lowest priced in my area.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well we know or can find out what the EPA requires, maybe. But what about Top Tier? Who defines "Top Tier". Different areas of the country?

I do not believe they are all using the same additive. Certainly Chevron talks about Techron being in their gas. I suppose they could have cleaners in addition to Techron.

And what does EPA specify: a quantity, like 1/4 OZ per gallon? How about if some cleaners are better and/or more concentrated?

Not knocking their gas, but its marketing hype. Like "up to 90% off sale". As long as nothing is 95% off, their sign is valid. Most could be 5% off.

(Note the 1/4 OZ is an example, I have no idea what it really is).

Top Tier is an industry performance standard that has been pretty strongly driven by GM. Different retailers can use different add packs, as long as the end result is that the fuel meets the Top Tier performance standard for deposit prevention, as established by the Top Tier licensing folks. If they change their add pack, they have to go through all of the testing procedures again to get it Top Tier classified. Top Tier is not just a marketing mimic as it is tied to specific performance using recognized test procedures.

Top Tier Gasoline

I too have only seen 76 as pushing their gas as Top Tier, but many others are also Top Tier, such as Shell, Chevron, and Mobil. See the site above for more info.

Arco claims to exceed the Top Tier performance standard, but they probably do not want to go through the expense of testing and paying the licensing fees (which is per station, so it can add up pretty quick). Sorta like an oil meeting or exceeding Dexos but not wanting to pay GM to put the mark on their packaging.

Arco is the same gas as one of the other top tier brands

Only techron does not leave itself behind after cleaning

So if you use other brands, swap them after a few thousand miles to clean the last one off

Just saw the signs at the gas pump when I filled up at a 76 station yesterday. Great fuel at a great price. Knew there was something special about 76.

The only place I know of around here, the Cleveland area is Shell. Even those stations are a little out of the way. Sure wish there were more TT stations around to choose from. In other words 99% of the stations around are NOT top tier.

Too bad Marathon, BP, Speedway, Getgo are not top tier.

There is only two groups of people buying gasoline anymore. People who want it cheap, and people who want the "best". I've never once found a difference between the two beyond serious marketing hype.

And saying "it has more additives so it must be better" is marketing hype not reality.

I'm starting to wonder if all gasoline just has three times the EPA additives and only certain places are inclined to heavily push it to gain business through additive confidence.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

I'm starting to wonder if all gasoline just has three times the EPA additives and only certain places are inclined to heavily push it to gain business through additive confidence.

Nope. Detergent levels.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: RiceCake

Nope. Detergent levels.

My only issue with the linked article is that they equate detergent levels to cleaning ability. The performance of the detergent package, at whatever levels, is what matters more, IMO.

I have a few 76 stations nearby, but haven't used them for a few years now. Not since they built a Chevron nearby with easy in & out driving access that I usually go to now.

Originally Posted By: Obos
Arco is the same gas as one of the other top tier brands

Only techron does not leave itself behind after cleaning

So if you use other brands, swap them after a few thousand miles to clean the last one off

Obos,

I always thought ARCO gas was pretty good gas but on this forum there's too many bashers! I currently use both brands you mentioned and never had issues.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back