Top Tier Stations Detergent Levels

For fun I was looking up Top Tier gas retailers and their websites. I found it interesting many claim "X times more detergent than Top Tier requirements" type statements. Even within the Top Tier family it would seem there's a Top-Top-Tier level of detergents and a "we met the standard" level Top-Tier.

The pictures of valves without Top-Tier does put the fear of God in my heart and soul...ALL THAT CARBON HURTS ME 🤣

That has crossed my mind, too, as so many brands are Top Tier now, even less expensive brands like Arco, Sinclair, and Valero.

To add fuel to the fire, in CA, we have our own formulation, so then I wonder if Top Tier means as much here versus, say, another state.

That has crossed my mind, too, as so many brands are Top Tier now, even less expensive brands like Arco, Sinclair, and Valero.

To add fuel to the fire, in CA, we have our own formulation, so then I wonder if Top Tier means as much here versus, say, another state.
I emailed a somewhat popular, but not Top Tier, brand asking about Top Tier and I believe the replied something along the lines of having significantly more detergent than government required but not willing to pay the Top Tier licensing fees to have their fuel tested to see if it meets Top Tier. That made me wonder how many gas stations, aside from maybe very local, that aren't Top Tier might actually be if they took part. I'll see if I can find the email. It was months ago.

I emailed a somewhat popular, but not Top Tier, brand asking about Top Tier and I believe the replied something along the lines of having significantly more detergent than government required but not willing to pay the Top Tier licensing fees to have their fuel tested to see if it meets Top Tier. That made me wonder how many gas stations, aside from maybe very local, that aren't Top Tier might actually be if they took part. I'll see if I can find the email. It was months ago.

I wish HPL made gas!

You may have hit on something. I have noticed less & less Top Tier stickers on pumps here in CA. I think Costco is the only one still displaying the stickers. ARCO is actually comparable to Costco in pricing, sometimes even cheaper. In fact the last Top Tier sticker I saw on an ARCO pump was in Sparks, NV

In Vermont, the number of national brands available are limited.

We have ExxonMobil, Shell, Citgo, Sunoco. No BP All are Top Tier

We have regional NewEngland/Canada brand Irving Used to be Top Tier, but I believe a good fuel

We have gas sold under the Gulf trademark, but Gulf is no longer a real oil company Who knows?

And some independents and convenience store brands. Who knows?

I mostly buy ExxonMobil and Shell, but that is based on price and convenience.

Found this a few days ago . Aware that it's old ( 5/23/11 ) . Wonder if they remain the same for additives ? Can see results at 2:45 for the 87 and the 93 that follows .

They base the amount of additive on the weight of the residue left behind? Is that an accurate method of determining additive levels? They said the "gum test" is what's used by automakers....

So then the Speedway Regular at 5.2mg can be used as a baseline for what the minimum EPA requirement is. That being the case, Shell Premium (V-Power) has 6x the minimum, close to the 7x they advertise........

For fun I was looking up Top Tier gas retailers and their websites. I found it interesting many claim "X times more detergent than Top Tier requirements" type statements. Even within the Top Tier family it would seem there's a Top-Top-Tier level of detergents and a "we met the standard" level Top-Tier.

The pictures of valves without Top-Tier does put the fear of God in my heart and soul...ALL THAT CARBON HURTS ME 🤣

Every bulk detergent additive sold in the US has to be tested for "lowest additive concentration" effectivness against the EPA requirement. They all get tested and I believe it's really just the same tests, but with with different requirements/concentrations. They can run the same tests again with a concentration that would meet the more stringent requirements. There are even some bulk additives that advertise an ability to "scale" where the same additive can be used as lowest concentration or Top Tier. This stuff can be bought off the shelf, and all the fuel marketer needs to do is submit the tests provided by the additive manufacturer.

Even then - it's a matter of effectiveness and not a specific concentration. It just has to meet that requirement when used in at least that concentration that's specified in the test.

BP/Amoco hint at exactly that on their website.

This is what 70K miles WITH Top-Tier looks like in a VW
20231228_210729_exported_0~3.jpg

It looks wet because this picture was taken AFTER soaking in CRC intake valve cleaner overnight

Same valves after doing my best

20240103_125653_exported_0~7.jpg

Found this a few days ago . Aware that it's old ( 5/23/11 ) . Wonder if they remain the same for additives ? Can see results at 2:45 for the 87 and the 93 that follows .

She said their test found that Exxon gas had some of the highest % of additives but Mobil was on the lower end?? I would think Exxon/Mobil should be the same.

I have wondered about brands that were top tier and aren't now. Did they drop their detergent levels?
Well nobody knows except the guys running those brands, it's all proprietary, but I'm sure some of them did. Just statistically. But not everyone. They might've had other reasons.

Here's how I see it. So say you're a big oil company with 1000 branded gas stations. They might own 100 of those but the other 900 are franchises. Many of them run by regular mom and pop types. And you're the exec at corporate telling mom and pop they are required, it's not an option, they MUST pay (likely) tens of thousands of dollars a year to be part of this top tier program that maybe nobody in town really cares about, most people just go to the station with the cheapest gas, and that's never you because everyone else nearby who isn't paying top tier can easily undercut you. Well if I was a mom and pop franchise owner I might say to corporate- tf bro? Everybody can undercut me, nobody even cares about top tier, or the people that do don't bring in as much money as the top tier program costs, why are you making us do this?

And if I'm in marketing I would say, you know... being "top tier" isn't cool anyways. We're just another guy selling top tier? Anybody can be top tier. We aren't building customers loyal to our brand they're just loyal to top tier. Let's be Shell V-Power instead. It's better to be Shell V-Power. f top tier, we'll make our own tier, we'll keep using the same additives, build a reputation of our own and an actual loyal customer base that doesn't want just any old top tier they want Shell V-Power. That's the move right?

Last edited:
Most stations in my neck of northern Minnesota are Top Tier so I tend to use it all the time. Except I checked and the big Holiday Station Store is no longer Top Tier (They used to have the stickers all over the pumps). My guess is Holiday (now Circle K) opted to not pay to be on the list.

I use Shell mainly because I use the app to get a few cents off per gallon and there are Shell stations all over the area that make it easy.

When I’m in Rochester, on the opposite side of the state, I’ll tend to use Kwik Trip since they carry E85 and my Mercury and the Grand Caravan are both flex fuel capable. And their coffee and snacks are excellent. 😎

All that stated, I’ve not had an issue with using any of their fuel in my cars or trucks. Even the direct injection Mini. So the levels provided must be dead on accurate.

Back