Yokohama YK580 vs. Kumho

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pleased with the traction from my Kumho ASX's on my 06 Mustang GT in 255x45x18 but at 20k they are near replacement. I'll get some kind of adjustment from Discount since they are supposedly a 30k tire. I'm also considering the new Yokohama YK580. Anyone have experience with this tire?

The YK580 is a relatively new tire and afaik, it's a made for DT/DTD Yoko. I doubt anyone has substantial miles on them as of now. I purchased the YK 520 made fors and they got poor treadwear in non spirited driving, ~30k. Wasn't too upset though as DT gave me a generous adjustment towards a new set of tires.

The 580's have had some decent early reviews, but based on my 520 experience I'll wait for more long term results before I'm convinced. Just me.

I'd go for the yk580's, very little risk

if you want a higher performance tire, the kumho 4x or conti dws are good.

Last edited:
I have two YK580s on my car. Only have ~1500 miles on them so can't really comment, but they are quiet. Don't know how that will pan out after putting some miles on it though.

They are currently on the rear wheels as I'm wearing down the Falken 912s down in the front. One thing to note though is that they are rated 'A' traction. I had them in the front for a few hundred miles when I first put them on, and I managed to chirp them once taking off. The Falkens are rated "AA" and they seem to grip better. Although they got noisy and the two that the Yokos replaced became out of round and developed a horrible wobbling.

CR tested the V speed rated version of this tire, and overall it is a middle of the road performer. Compared to most other tires in the test, its weakness is wet traction and overall handling. A good value only if it is available at a bargain price, IMO

I have a set on for 10k and they've been decent so far. They are pretty quiet still. The down side is the turn in is not so responsive comparing to say primacy mxv4. At the current wear rate,I .should get 60k out when it hits the wear bar. I am driving extremely lightly though. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back