easy to change 5sfe oil pan gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the leak could be from a lot of places. I had a 5SFE camry that leaked from the valve cover (back side), oil pressure sender, main seal and the oil pump o-ring. I thought it was the pan gasket also but once I had the other leaks fixed (except main seal) the leaks were greatly reduced.

The oil pump o-ring was the main culprit, so if you have a big leak from the front of the engine just inside the right front tire, that could be your problem.

Get some engine cleaner and the hose and clean everything up under the hood, it makes finding the leak much easier.

I think you just have to take off the down-pipe to get the oil pan off, I tried to get the bolts off up near the manifold but they were hard to reach and very tight. I'm glad I gave up as the pan gasket was not the problem.

These engine are famous for having valve cover leaks from the back! I maintain one, and the bolts that hold on the valve cover were only finger tight at around 125K miles. I used a torque wrench to tighten it to the proper specs, but I don't know yet if that fixed it (too soon).

Valve cover gasket and oil pump gasket are very common. V/C makes a mess and is easy to spot. Run your hand along the back on the valve cover where it is bolted to the head. If it is wet, there is your leak.

I finally got around to replacing the oil pan.It didn't do any difference.I'm thinking it's the rear main seal.How hard is this one to replace? Do i have to separate the engine and trans?

Yes, you will have to separate the engine and transmission and remove one or the other.

Are you sure its not leaking from the valve cover or distributor on the transmission side of the engine?

High mileage oils helped slow the leak on my Camry. PYB actually helped slow a rear main seal oil leak on another vehicle.

How much is it leaking, how often do you have to add oil? It might be easier to keep adding oil.

make sure you triple check valve cover. can be easily mistaken for oil pan

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

High mileage oils helped slow the leak on my Camry. PYB actually helped slow a rear main seal oil leak on another vehicle.

How much is it leaking, how often do you have to add oil? It might be easier to keep adding oil.
At almost every stop, i can smell the oil burning on the exhaust pipe because it drips right on top.Funny thing,it started dripping more after i started using the hm oil.

Dripping!

Get some ramps, a mirror on a stick, and a good compact flashlight. If the leak is this bad, you'll see it. If you're under there for more than ten minutes and still can't find it you may have to do some cleaning or add dye to your oil.

Don't guess about what's leaking. See the oil coming out with your own eyes. Replacing seals and gaskets can take a lot of time and can be unpleasant work. Why do more of that than is necessary?

I remember that smell, my Camry would drip like that too. It also made a little smoke under the hood...good times.

It did get better over time with the use of HM oil. If your climate doesn't get too cold maybe you could step up an oil grade to see if that helps.

Maybe some exhaust wrap/tape to keep the oil off of the hot pipe. I know how that sounds, but its easier than pulling the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back