LS1 Rear Cover Gasket.. Questions

A Posted another thread on this, but have a more concreate answer as to where leak is occurring.

I used Permatex spray seal on the right side, that trapped this oil leak as pictured from rear cover to oil pan area, aswell as a little higher up and has not leaked in 2 years. I have a small sweat on the left side of block at back bellhousing bolt.

The more I inspect, I think the same spot is leaking on the left side, but due to block design is trapped and running down to the bolt hole that I have it leaking from. So I would with 99% certainty say Rear cover gasket/oil pan gasket back there is sweating.

The car had a new clutch done in 2017, and 20k so I really don't want to pull a trans for such a small leak.

Currently running Mobil1 0W40 and AC delco filter.

My thought is to run a bottle AT-205 this OCI an see if it slows it up

Could dump the fresh oil I just put in prior to storage and run Maxlife 5W30.

Thoughts?

P

Attachments

• IMG_9312.JPEG
    IMG_9312.JPEG
    46 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9228.jpeg
    IMG_9228.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9318.jpg
    IMG_9318.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 61
Thoughts?
^ This…I think you’re over thoughting this. ;) Leave the fresh oil in over the winter then in the spring check how much oil has dripped out then revisit. After the first spring drive check it again, and go from there. I personally would give the HM oil a try after the spring drive if it’s still dripping. I’m with ya as far as hating oil leaks!:mad:

Aluminum LSx blocks are known for porosity issues that allows them to "sweat" oil. GM has TSB's on refusal to warranty "Sweating" complaints.

If the rear cover was installed without centering it......The rear main seal will leak as it's not centered to the crankshaft.

On Aluminum LSx Blocks, Apply a small bead of RTV on the perimeter of the rear cover surface of the block.

Ignore that tiny amount of oil. Throw a piece of cardboard under the car and if you have more than 10 drips - start to pay attention to it

Back