2010 F-150 Gas Tank Door

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, my gas cap door started closing in a strange way and then the internal mechanism completely "let go" and the door would not remain closed (I think the internal spring broke). So I contact a Ford dealer and set up any appointment. I have a 5 year/120K bumper to bumper warranty from Ford so I am not too worried. I go this morning and am told that since this is considered a body part that it is not covered and to replace it would be about $260. Excuse me? Save for the consumables (fluids, hoses, brakes, etc.) what part of bumper to bumper do you not get?

Since the late model F-150s (and perhaps other Ford models too) do not have a gas cap (the door and a special neck valve is the "gas cap"), I told them to go ahead, but I contacted Ford and wanted to know why I had a worthless warranty. They gave me the same song about it being a body part, but they would escalate the case and see if it could be covered. I informed them the definition of the part was incorrect--it has to be an emissions component since it serves as the "gas cap" and therefore has to be covered. They added that to the case and said it would take about 4 days to follow up, but I would hear something back one way or the other.

While the truck was there, I had the brake fluid flushed and refilled and a few hours later, the dealer called to say it was ready. When I went to pay the bill only the brake fluid flush was listed. I asked about the gas cap door and they said Ford called and covered the cost. While I was initially more than a little hacked about it, I am happy with both the speed in which it was handled and the outcome of the cost. I would have changed the part myself, but as it turns out the entire area around the filler neck is part of the component and they had to drop the tank to replace it.

Long story short--Ford owners if the gas cap door fails on your vehicle that is sans gas cap, be certain that you argue it is an emissions component to try to force them to replace it under that proviso.

Sounds like you should pick a new dealer. That one sounds shady. I wouldn't even second-guess that as a non-warranty item. If you have a door-ding, rock chip, etc, that would be "body". That was clearly a malfunction of a body part. If your hood latch or tailgate latch failed, would that be "body" also? Sure, it's a body part, but it's between your bumpers, and clearly a bad part.

You wonder what actually transpired. Most car companies allow the dealers some out of warranty repair money for customer sat. The dealer can decide who & when to apply it. Like if you are 1 mile out of warranty, etc. Or maybe if you have been buying cars there for 30 years and always paying list.

So Ford could have covered it, but sound a little quick for Ford to make a decision.

I work at a ford dealer, they do not sell a bumper to bumper esp warranty. The best one thry sell is the premium care and it doesnt cover everything. They have to run the base part number on oasis to see if it is a covered component. Emission warranty coverage is 8 years 80k miles on the pcm and catalytic converter only.Other emissions components arent covered by the emissions warranty. If the part wasnt covered on your warranty they did a goodwill repair on your truck and the dealer has to participate in the cost of that repair. If they fixed it and you didnt pay the dealer did you a favor.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
If they fixed it and you didnt pay the dealer did you a favor.

I do not think the dealer did anything; I am certain that it was the call that I made to Ford. After I returned to the office (and after I made the initial post), I received a follow-up call from Ford with the case number asking me if the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

Yes your call got the ball rolling, ford will call the dealer and tell them to fix it, usually the customer pays 20 percent of the repair. Important part is it is fixed and you are happy that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back